ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I've tried many things over the years and thought I found the answer with mounting ties. They're a zip tie with a plastic ring built into the locking mechanism. This works well with a small to medium sized bait hook but with anything with a large barb it's a hassle to get it out of the ring. I have since gone to these double ringed jig connectors and a conventional zip tie. I put this on a spinner setup at the base of the reel seat threads. I also used a fine metal file to round off the square corners.

IMG_7248-1.jpg
IMG_7247.jpg

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye and ripped

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I hate zip ties on rods. This is what I use. It works on Deckhand and reel seat rods. Put it under reel and clamp the reel in place. I like 40lb. because it seats well under the reel. Larger mono will not seat well.
IMG_20200920_210035361.jpg

sandiegosteve

Fish nerd
Feb 5, 2007
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
Lil' Defiance Pilothouse
Looks interesting. I use the zip ties with the screw mount. They have an extra loop built in that is designed to have them screwed to something. Work on all my rods, but and small, but they can be a little stiff. Don't over tighten them and they can spin out of the way.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I use the reel stud also when there's enough room to get the hook and barb between the stud and reel seat. Can't always do it especially with a larger circle hook.

Reactions: Cubeye

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Too many people over-complicate the smallest thing...lol Hook it on the reel post, hook it on the hole in the handle..etc...

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I use the reel stud also when there's enough room to get the hook and barb between the stud and reel seat. Can't always do it especially with a larger circle hook.
I use the reel stud, for my jigs,
So it’s doesn’t hook someone going up the rail.

Reactions: larry dickson

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I use the reel stud too Gerry, one technique won't work in all applications. Sometimes reel studs are too close to the reel seat to get a hook between them. This is just one way to make it work when other techniques won't.