scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
What kind of gear ratio is good/ best/ preferred for winding in the surface iron?
I think that the height of the spool would matter. How fast the retrieve matters too.

What technique is most effective when reeling in the surface iron?

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
JMHO;

it's like asking how do you like your coffee at Starbucks. everyone has their own likings and what's best is what make "YOU" feel comfortable depending on the size of your hands and how you grind, etc...

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
It also depends on the iron that your pulling through the water. Some irons will kick better when reeled at a slower or faster rate, even though they are the same model from the same manufacturer. You just have to throw it and watch it come in the first couple times, and adjust your speed. Just my $.02.

Jim

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
Thanks to all the answers. I am just trying to hone in on some techniques. Its December and Im already anxious over the upcoming season.
Its helpful to get the input.

From the answers above i gather that fishing the surface iron is more dependent on getting a nice movement from the jig you are using no matter the reel. And when it comes to the reel it really varies on your preference.

But this is much different from fishing the yoyo iron where it is prefferred to use a higher gear ratio to reel the yoyo iron at a faster rate.

Dont worry i wont ask about the rods as i have learned for myself that is a preference thing too.

Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
Well "different strokes for different folks"
gotta put alot time in throwing iron and finding that sweet spot on where that iron swims and kicks

Upvote 0