5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Never lived there, but if my wife and I could take our California paying jobs with us I would already be there. I spent quite a bit of time in the Boynton Beach / Lantana area and really like it and try to get back as much as I can. Yes it can be hot and humid, but you can also catch Wahoo 200 yards off the beach today if you had the inclination and pull right up at your private dock and be in your pool 30 minutes later for the kind of money is being discussed in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love San Diego as much as the next person, it's a great city with a lot of great things going for it. But please consider the past 5-6 years have had HISTORICALLY good fishing. There was a solid stretch of years where a PB couldn't get on tuna within 50 miles of San Diego consistently, and local yellowtail fishing has been historically great for a few recent years as well, but it wasn't always that good and there is no telling when that cycle will be back "normal" or that Mexico changes its mind about accessibility.

FWIW, I will agree that the OP specifically asked about Southern California, and I should have kept my $0.02 to myself since it wasn't about Florida. It's just hard for me to see that and not think "Why is he looking in CA if he wants to retire and saltwater fish?"
I'm just ribbing you. Florida has amazing fishing for sure. I just couldn't ever live somewhere that's as flat as florida is.

Funny story, I've lived in the east and in texas for most of my life. I didn't visit Texas for three years after moving to san diego and finally went back in March hoping to time it right and get on some awesome prespawn bass fishing.

I couldn't believe how bad the biting bugs were all week, it was almost like I'd completely forgotten all about that... huge, nasty biting bugs everywhere all week long.

Don't ever get caught around the salt marshes, inlets or bayous after dark without a can of bug spray. Those mosquitoes will eat you alive...

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Shit, my idea of retirement is anywhere other than SoCal! This place is a zoo and getting worse! Took me 5+ hours to drive to Big Bear today. Bumper to bumper all the way up the 15. Can’t go anywhere on a weekend. Offshore fishing is a total shit show. Combat fishing on every kelp paddy or foamier. Stop on your own fish and you will be bombarded in minutes with other boats who see you stopped. Hell, you can’t even go to the damn grocery store now without dealing with crowds. Not sure where you are coming from but I’d think real hard about coming to SoCal to relax in retirement. I’ve lived in SD all my life of 41 years and it’s not what it used to be. Just the last 4-5 years has seen exponential grown and it’s taken a lot of the fun out of the place.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but if I were definitely to retire in SD, I’d find the money to pony up for a community like Point Loma that has everything you’d ever need, without having to leave, get on the freeways, and deal with shitheads in crowds. PL has all the stores, restaurants, culture, launch ramps, marinas, etc. you’d ever want or need. And bail the trailer idea, that’s just excess work. Put the boat in a slip. Join a local yacht club and you’ll get a cheap slip with amenities. You’ll enjoy life more. Trust me on this. I’m not just talking the talk. It’s my jam.
Wow !!! I'm not even sure what to say after these responses..
I had no idea that some think San Diego is now a shithole fishing wise .
... for fishing I find so cal paradise ..
Lived other places (though never Florida) mostly tropical and always wanted to come back strictly for the fishing ...
Fishin the islands up here in la is incredible and many many times we are by ourselves in full speed bites ...
The species we catch here are unique and the freshwater fishing can satisfy when the marine weather keeps u off the ocean ...
Having flexible hours is huge for avoiding crowds and traffic and will take much of the misery out of it...
Sure , if your offshore with the fleet and patty hop or sit in the crowd than shit show does apply but if you do your homework and not be afraid to go make it happen the rewards especially these last few years are epic ..
Had no idea some of you guys hate San Diego so much...
El toro nailed it.
Never said it’s a shit hole Far from it. But it is nothing like it was when I was kid or even in the past ten years. Traffic. Politics, the boarder, housing cost, crime have gotten worse. The fishing is great. Even better then when I was a kid.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
Hey Ron,

I'm a Bay Area transplant now living in San Diego. I made the move 3 years ago and I live 10 mins from the National City ramp, about 20-25 mins from Shelter Island ramp.

Before making the move I kept my boat down here for 2 years and went down a dozen times a year to fish it.

Here are my observations coming from a bay area native...

Traffic aint shit here compared to the bay regardless of what the locals in the previous posts here said. It ain't shit if you've ever had to deal with the 880, 92, 17, 101, 580, etc.

There are a ton of military bases here and it balances out the "political" environment a ton. No more hippy only, one sided political views. No more berkeley/oakland protests that turn into riots and robberies. This i'm thankful for. The bay area was once like this but after all the base closures it turned into a one sided political shit show in the bay. Regardless of what your views are, balance is good.

Cost of living is about the same, maybe a bit more. My water bill in the bay used to be $60-70, over here $200+ because they charge for sewage. Tap water taste like shit so we buy drinking water. Tap water is not as bad as Tracy, CA water but not as good as EBMUD.

Fishing.... If you're a coastsider and you're used to the camaraderie on the radio, it's the complete opposite. The radio out here is like Salmon opener in April in Monterey Bay....except it's every day. Fishermen don't share shit out here. In fact after about 9:30a when everyone is drunk you might as well turn it off.

Fishing style out here is definitely different. They like to "run & gun" a lot out here and other than following temp breaks and chlorophyll charts, once out in the zone, boats tend to wander aimlessly looking for patties, breaking fish and birds. So that equates to burning a ton of fuel from spot to spot (run & gun). Many times a year i've seen party boats run from breaking fish to breaking fish, and once getting to the fish, they brail a fuck ton of bait, have the passengers fish for 45 SECONDS and then pick up and run to the next boil if they don't get bit immediately.

A lot of novice fisherman will also follow boats around out here. Hell even the experienced will do that shit too. Guys resort to this sort of shit due to the hostility on the radio. They probably figure, if you ain't gonna answer i'm gonna pilfer your bite.

My advice for you if you want to move down here. Bring your boat down this season and fish it. Leave it in dry storage if you don't like to tow long distances like I did and come down every few weeks or whenever the bite turns on. This will also allow you to learn the neighborhoods and roam around to see which town you like.

Last edited:

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
One thing I forgot. Make sure you outfit your boat with a GOOD bait tank. Not a half assed tank, no a mediocre tank, a real good tank along with a good pump. You want to be able to hold a good scoop. Half scoop is really under gunned unless you only plan on fishing inshore.

Good live bait will usually make or break your day. Also learn how to cast the bait. Not just flick it out of the boat and hope it swims away. Assuming you fish the SF Bay, all those live baits are always put on a 3 way rig and dropped down to the bottom. Here you're fly lining a ton without a weight. Also learn how to cast surface jigs if you don't already know.

Reactions: karlk1125

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
you can buy good insurance and alot of bug spray for what you'll save not living in san diego or else where in california. The access to mexico is getting more complicated every year...learn to throw a cast net and you can have bait anywhere from corpus christy to wash dc.
Left 2 years ago.
San diego was a wonderful place to grow up in the 60-80s......all you fuckers from elsewhere have screwed it up.

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
20' Livesay Offshore Utility
I just retired and putting a 3 year plan together to relocate from norcal to socal or san Diego area .

I would like some input on1st the best harbor to run out of for tuna .
and what area would good to purchase a home to be within 1/2 hour to the ramp .
i dont know too much about those areas but liked the area when i have visited.
wife will retire in 3 years and thinking of getting out of the bay area.
any advice would be appreciated .

Thank you

Ron
I came back and edited my comment with after thought.
Actually we need retirees to stay in California.
We need people to stay here and enjoy their golden years in the Golden State.
Unfortunately far too many people leave and go to other states. This produces several obvious problems with the cycle of revenue being probably the biggest one.

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
if ya like HEAT and HUMIDITY the texas coast and/or florida is the place to be in summer

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Thanks for all the info .
I think my home budget would be any where from 750- 1M

Ron

If you looked outside of Ca., You could have "acreage" instead of square feet, with house as big or small as you want.

I have lived in the Bay Area, and two other Eastern states. The weather of Southern California, and the ocean is what brought me back. But This state is so F'ed up, I won't be retiring here.

Reactions: stangclassic66
May 6, 2004
Newport
Name
Dave
Boat
28 Farallon HOOKED
I moved my boat and all fishing the opposite direction to the Lost Coast from SoCal. Slip 200 a month instead of 1,000. No traffic to deal with. Hardly any other boats out fishing. Fishing is great. I love it here compared to all the hustle and hassle down there.

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Shit, my idea of retirement is anywhere other than SoCal! This place is a zoo and getting worse! Took me 5+ hours to drive to Big Bear today. Bumper to bumper all the way up the 15. Can’t go anywhere on a weekend. Offshore fishing is a total shit show. Combat fishing on every kelp paddy or foamier. Stop on your own fish and you will be bombarded in minutes with other boats who see you stopped. Hell, you can’t even go to the damn grocery store now without dealing with crowds. Not sure where you are coming from but I’d think real hard about coming to SoCal to relax in retirement. I’ve lived in SD all my life of 41 years and it’s not what it used to be. Just the last 4-5 years has seen exponential grown and it’s taken a lot of the fun out of the place.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but if I were definitely to retire in SD, I’d find the money to pony up for a community like Point Loma that has everything you’d ever need, without having to leave, get on the freeways, and deal with shitheads in crowds. PL has all the stores, restaurants, culture, launch ramps, marinas, etc. you’d ever want or need. And bail the trailer idea, that’s just excess work. Put the boat in a slip. Join a local yacht club and you’ll get a cheap slip with amenities. You’ll enjoy life more. Trust me on this. I’m not just talking the talk. It’s my jam.
This ^^^^. Dawned on me when I had to launch at 3:00 AM at Dana Point to avoid the 1.5 hour line for bait. Not to mention having to detach my trailer to fit the rig into two spots. Then when I got out fishing, I got bombarded on a kelp paddy stop by none other that one of the top marlin guys using his gyros to scope me out from his 65' rig. Like Really?

I then bought a place in Montana. I still have my homes in Fullerton and Big Bear Lake. I will keep both for awhile, so I will be fishing salt here. Just been busy with a number of projects of late, not the least of which is a repower/refurbish of my Conch 27.

Long term, I'm in Montana. I refuse to pay for other peoples' pensions that will be larger than mine, though I won't even be reliant on a pension, which makes me a tax rich target. Sorry Cali pensioners, but you ain't getting it from me.

Last edited:

el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
This ^^^^. Dawned on me when I had to launch at 3:00 AM at Dana Point to avoid the 1.5 hour line for bait. Not to mention having to detach my trailer to fit the rig into two spots. Then when I got out fishing, I got bombarded on a kelp paddy stop by none other that one of the top marlin guys using his gyros to scope me out from his 65' rig. Like Really?

I then bought a place in Montana. I still have my homes in Fullerton and Big Bear Lake. I will keep both for awhile, so I will be fishing salt here. Just been busy with a number of projects of late, not the least of which is a repower/refurbish of my Conch 27.

Long term, I'm in Montana. I refuse to pay for other peoples' pensions that will be larger than mine, though I won't even be reliant on a pension, which makes me a tax rich target. Sorry Cali pensioners, but you ain't getting it from me.
Ha, I couldn't agree more. What's a pension nowadays anyhow? Who TF ever thought that continuing to pay somebody for not working was a good idea? Such a flawed thought process. No! Pay people what they are worth while they are working and let them figure it out and plan for their own damn future. They screw it up, its on them, instead of the next generation, or other private employees.

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Pretty cool house right here. Might want to bump your price range upwards just a little bit for this one. And you’ll be 5 mins away from what’s supposed to be the best launch in all of SoCal (even if it doesn’t have a freshwater wash down station).

https://justlisted.zillow.com/robertrealtysd/X1-ZUz7bvq37cr409_8469x/17064228?utm_medium=social-paid&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=zbw_pada_JL_ZPID-17064228_ZUID-5092794&fbclid=IwAR2tgNVo0fMzbRyhdWpAvCl1kgS6IhIDFP7NovgugoMGgR2Q_KGDRNA9fgI

Reactions: karlk1125

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
Pretty cool house right here. Might want to bump your price range upwards just a little bit for this one. And you’ll be 5 mins away from what’s supposed to be the best launch in all of SoCal (even if it doesn’t have a freshwater wash down station).

https://justlisted.zillow.com/robertrealtysd/X1-ZUz7bvq37cr409_8469x/17064228?utm_medium=social-paid&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=zbw_pada_JL_ZPID-17064228_ZUID-5092794&fbclid=IwAR2tgNVo0fMzbRyhdWpAvCl1kgS6IhIDFP7NovgugoMGgR2Q_KGDRNA9fgI
That's double the range he initially quoted o_O

Reactions: 5-20

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Hey Ron,

I'm a Bay Area transplant now living in San Diego. I made the move 3 years ago and I live 10 mins from the National City ramp, about 20-25 mins from Shelter Island ramp.

Before making the move I kept my boat down here for 2 years and went down a dozen times a year to fish it.

Here are my observations coming from a bay area native...

Traffic aint shit here compared to the bay regardless of what the locals in the previous posts here said. It ain't shit if you've ever had to deal with the 880, 92, 17, 101, 580, etc.

There are a ton of military bases here and it balances out the "political" environment a ton. No more hippy only, one sided political views. No more berkeley/oakland protests that turn into riots and robberies. This i'm thankful for. The bay area was once like this but after all the base closures it turned into a one sided political shit show in the bay. Regardless of what your views are, balance is good.

Cost of living is about the same, maybe a bit more. My water bill in the bay used to be $60-70, over here $200+ because they charge for sewage. Tap water taste like shit so we buy drinking water. Tap water is not as bad as Tracy, CA water but not as good as EBMUD.

Fishing.... If you're a coastsider and you're used to the camaraderie on the radio, it's the complete opposite. The radio out here is like Salmon opener in April in Monterey Bay....except it's every day. Fishermen don't share shit out here. In fact after about 9:30a when everyone is drunk you might as well turn it off.

Fishing style out here is definitely different. They like to "run & gun" a lot out here and other than following temp breaks and chlorophyll charts, once out in the zone, boats tend to wander aimlessly looking for patties, breaking fish and birds. So that equates to burning a ton of fuel from spot to spot (run & gun). Many times a year i've seen party boats run from breaking fish to breaking fish, and once getting to the fish, they brail a fuck ton of bait, have the passengers fish for 45 SECONDS and then pick up and run to the next boil if they don't get bit immediately.

A lot of novice fisherman will also follow boats around out here. Hell even the experienced will do that shit too. Guys resort to this sort of shit due to the hostility on the radio. They probably figure, if you ain't gonna answer i'm gonna pilfer your bite.

My advice for you if you want to move down here. Bring your boat down this season and fish it. Leave it in dry storage if you don't like to tow long distances like I did and come down every few weeks or whenever the bite turns on. This will also allow you to learn the neighborhoods and roam around to see which town you like.
Boy, you hit the nail on the head about No Cal. Lived all my lif e in Orange County until my wife's job transferred to San Francisco. Lived there 20 years until we retired. Worst 20 years of my life living in that shit hole bay area. I do not have a boat so Arizona was our choice of retirement location. Only 7 hours to the docks in San Diego.