Retirement move to socal

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Ron Nielsen, Feb 18, 2019.

1. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Fish for butts and tails from a yak once in a while for a change of pace.

2. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I'm just ribbing you. Florida has amazing fishing for sure. I just couldn't ever live somewhere that's as flat as florida is.

Funny story, I've lived in the east and in texas for most of my life. I didn't visit Texas for three years after moving to san diego and finally went back in March hoping to time it right and get on some awesome prespawn bass fishing.

I couldn't believe how bad the biting bugs were all week, it was almost like I'd completely forgotten all about that... huge, nasty biting bugs everywhere all week long.

Don't ever get caught around the salt marshes, inlets or bayous after dark without a can of bug spray. Those mosquitoes will eat you alive...

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  3. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Rent for a year before buying. ;)

4. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    El toro nailed it.
    Never said it’s a shit hole Far from it. But it is nothing like it was when I was kid or even in the past ten years. Traffic. Politics, the boarder, housing cost, crime have gotten worse. The fishing is great. Even better then when I was a kid.

5. Bizzy

Bizzy Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    25 Parker
    Don't believe the haters, San Diego is awesome. It may not be perfect, but its really a nice way to live.

6. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    and you can fish 12 months of the year.

all you SBs of SD cant begin to imagine not being able to do that. :notworthy

7. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Hey Ron,

I'm a Bay Area transplant now living in San Diego. I made the move 3 years ago and I live 10 mins from the National City ramp, about 20-25 mins from Shelter Island ramp.

Before making the move I kept my boat down here for 2 years and went down a dozen times a year to fish it.

Here are my observations coming from a bay area native...

Traffic aint shit here compared to the bay regardless of what the locals in the previous posts here said. It ain't shit if you've ever had to deal with the 880, 92, 17, 101, 580, etc.

There are a ton of military bases here and it balances out the "political" environment a ton. No more hippy only, one sided political views. No more berkeley/oakland protests that turn into riots and robberies. This i'm thankful for. The bay area was once like this but after all the base closures it turned into a one sided political shit show in the bay. Regardless of what your views are, balance is good.

Cost of living is about the same, maybe a bit more. My water bill in the bay used to be $60-70, over here $200+ because they charge for sewage. Tap water taste like shit so we buy drinking water. Tap water is not as bad as Tracy, CA water but not as good as EBMUD.

Fishing.... If you're a coastsider and you're used to the camaraderie on the radio, it's the complete opposite. The radio out here is like Salmon opener in April in Monterey Bay....except it's every day. Fishermen don't share shit out here. In fact after about 9:30a when everyone is drunk you might as well turn it off.

Fishing style out here is definitely different. They like to "run & gun" a lot out here and other than following temp breaks and chlorophyll charts, once out in the zone, boats tend to wander aimlessly looking for patties, breaking fish and birds. So that equates to burning a ton of fuel from spot to spot (run & gun). Many times a year i've seen party boats run from breaking fish to breaking fish, and once getting to the fish, they brail a fuck ton of bait, have the passengers fish for 45 SECONDS and then pick up and run to the next boil if they don't get bit immediately.

A lot of novice fisherman will also follow boats around out here. Hell even the experienced will do that shit too. Guys resort to this sort of shit due to the hostility on the radio. They probably figure, if you ain't gonna answer i'm gonna pilfer your bite.

My advice for you if you want to move down here. Bring your boat down this season and fish it. Leave it in dry storage if you don't like to tow long distances like I did and come down every few weeks or whenever the bite turns on. This will also allow you to learn the neighborhoods and roam around to see which town you like.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    One thing I forgot. Make sure you outfit your boat with a GOOD bait tank. Not a half assed tank, no a mediocre tank, a real good tank along with a good pump. You want to be able to hold a good scoop. Half scoop is really under gunned unless you only plan on fishing inshore.

Good live bait will usually make or break your day. Also learn how to cast the bait. Not just flick it out of the boat and hope it swims away. Assuming you fish the SF Bay, all those live baits are always put on a 3 way rig and dropped down to the bottom. Here you're fly lining a ton without a weight. Also learn how to cast surface jigs if you don't already know.

karlk1125 likes this.
  9. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    you can buy good insurance and alot of bug spray for what you'll save not living in san diego or else where in california. The access to mexico is getting more complicated every year...learn to throw a cast net and you can have bait anywhere from corpus christy to wash dc.
    Left 2 years ago.
    San diego was a wonderful place to grow up in the 60-80s......all you fuckers from elsewhere have screwed it up.

triton91, RodRage and embo like this.
  10. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    I came back and edited my comment with after thought.
    Actually we need retirees to stay in California.
    We need people to stay here and enjoy their golden years in the Golden State.
    Unfortunately far too many people leave and go to other states. This produces several obvious problems with the cycle of revenue being probably the biggest one.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    One_Leg likes this.
  11. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    if ya like HEAT and HUMIDITY the texas coast and/or florida is the place to be in summer

12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy

If you looked outside of Ca., You could have "acreage" instead of square feet, with house as big or small as you want.

I have lived in the Bay Area, and two other Eastern states. The weather of Southern California, and the ocean is what brought me back. But This state is so F'ed up, I won't be retiring here.

stangclassic66 likes this.
  13. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    Move to AZ, travel to SD when fishing and give up all the BS that comes with CA. The savings more than pays for all of my bad habits!

prolinegd and gecsr1 like this.
  14. dwr@c

[email protected] Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    28 Farallon HOOKED
    I moved my boat and all fishing the opposite direction to the Lost Coast from SoCal. Slip 200 a month instead of 1,000. No traffic to deal with. Hardly any other boats out fishing. Fishing is great. I love it here compared to all the hustle and hassle down there.

15. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    This ^^^^. Dawned on me when I had to launch at 3:00 AM at Dana Point to avoid the 1.5 hour line for bait. Not to mention having to detach my trailer to fit the rig into two spots. Then when I got out fishing, I got bombarded on a kelp paddy stop by none other that one of the top marlin guys using his gyros to scope me out from his 65' rig. Like Really?

I then bought a place in Montana. I still have my homes in Fullerton and Big Bear Lake. I will keep both for awhile, so I will be fishing salt here. Just been busy with a number of projects of late, not the least of which is a repower/refurbish of my Conch 27.

Long term, I'm in Montana. I refuse to pay for other peoples' pensions that will be larger than mine, though I won't even be reliant on a pension, which makes me a tax rich target. Sorry Cali pensioners, but you ain't getting it from me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Tim1962, One_Leg and SouthBayKiller like this.
  16. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Ha, I couldn't agree more. What's a pension nowadays anyhow? Who TF ever thought that continuing to pay somebody for not working was a good idea? Such a flawed thought process. No! Pay people what they are worth while they are working and let them figure it out and plan for their own damn future. They screw it up, its on them, instead of the next generation, or other private employees.

BiggestT and SouthBayKiller like this.
  17. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    karlk1125 likes this.
  18. ltran0614

ltran0614 Member

Name:
    L Train
    Boat:
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    5-20 likes this.
  19. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Dude! This thread already has enough wet blankets in it. Let the man dream a little, will you, please.

20. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    Boy, you hit the nail on the head about No Cal. Lived all my lif e in Orange County until my wife's job transferred to San Francisco. Lived there 20 years until we retired. Worst 20 years of my life living in that shit hole bay area. I do not have a boat so Arizona was our choice of retirement location. Only 7 hours to the docks in San Diego.

BiggestT and One_Leg like this.