Retirement move to socal

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Ron Nielsen, Feb 18, 2019.

1. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    I fish during the week, and it’s still a shit show most of the time.

Bottom Line, ltran0614 and makairaa like this.
  2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I’d buy a mansion in Florida with a dock in my backyard.

3. Aliikai17

Aliikai17 Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Less now
    If you really want to retire just move a little more south to Ensenada you will live like a King!!

strackle99 and sixty like this.
  4. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Get out while the getting's good..........all the way out.

Bottom Line likes this.
  5. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    My advice is to leave CA all together ....Better fishing elsewhere and for cheaper

6. Steve Dee

Steve Dee Member

Name:
    Steve D
    Boat:
    Grady White 180 - "Running with Scissors"
    Many areas here won’t let you park the boat and trailer on the street. Most HOAs won’t let you park in the driveway. So check that out before committing.

7. rancanfish

rancanfish wow, how deep is it here?

Name:
    Harold Head
    Boat:
    BW Menemsha
    I'm in the Bay area and the traffic sucks during the day too. A full day of fishing puts you right in the mess on the way home. Unless you fish between 10-1:30.
    This is CaliFreeway, there is no 'open road'. Even the main drag in our town turns to gridlock every afternoon. The freeway is a block over and people jump off thinking our boulevard is a shortcut.
    I'm like Ron, I want out of here!

embo likes this.
  8. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    If your trying to get away from the hustle and bustle you need to go any direction but south.

ltran0614 likes this.
  9. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Florida.... retire in Florida...

10. billa

billa Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    20' NorthRiver.
    I moved from SoCal 30 years ago to Bend Oregon. Best thing I ever did. I think that one thing to think about is what living conditions will be like the rest of the year when you are not fishing. Say you are able to fish 30 days per season. Say the number is higher like 40-50 days.
    From what has been described as hellish crowds and traffic etc has to be tolerated by you and your wife the rest of the year.

11. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    I would move to Texas and take up hunting and bass fishing. SD is a mess, and only getting worse.

embo and yellowklr like this.
  12. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    What they all said. One thought is getting a condo for the summers and keep your boat in storage and then slip your boat during season. Live elsewhere during the winter.

polfishski likes this.
  13. ltran0614

ltran0614 Member

Name:
    L Train
    Boat:
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    Once a SoCal, always a SoCal.

I've lived here all my life, the traffic doesnt bother me - just plan ahead and you'll be fine. The problem arises when non-native SoCal ppl move into SoCal and expect the same conditions/roadways as where they originally came from but the only difference being the improved weather - not going to happen.

SoCal is SoCal. Beautiful weather but w/ traffic. If you can't stand the heat .... get outta the kitchen! Simple as that.

There are dumbasses everywhere you go, not just SoCal. It may seem there are more here but it's just more concentrated b/c guess what ... there are just more ppl here. o_O

repo805, karlk1125, embo and 5 others like this.
  14. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Funny... didn't expect to see so much hate for San Diego. It's probably the best part of SoCal with half as much traffic as you see in OC or LA. And it's the epicenter of some of the best fishing opportunities you can find anywhere in the world.

Sure, the summer time has been pretty bad the last 2-3 years with the huge increase in tourism we've had, but during the rest of the year, it's really not bad at all. Five years ago, the summer crowd picked up in late May, but the last two or three years, it seems like the beaches or coastal areas have gotten significantly crowded starting closer to the middle of April.

But you know, being retired, that means you can pick and choose your schedule and here in San Diego, you don't have nonstop traffic all day, only around rush hour and most traffic patterns are still fairly bearable.

Good luck with that whole move down here you're thinking about !!! It's going to be a breeze coming here, especially if you're coming from the Bay Area or anywhere else that has serious traffic issues.

karlk1125 likes this.
  15. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Wow !!! I'm not even sure what to say after these responses..
    I had no idea that some think San Diego is now a shithole fishing wise .
    ... for fishing I find so cal paradise ..
    Lived other places (though never Florida) mostly tropical and always wanted to come back strictly for the fishing ...
    Fishin the islands up here in la is incredible and many many times we are by ourselves in full speed bites ...
    The species we catch here are unique and the freshwater fishing can satisfy when the marine weather keeps u off the ocean ...
    Having flexible hours is huge for avoiding crowds and traffic and will take much of the misery out of it...
    Sure , if your offshore with the fleet and patty hop or sit in the crowd than shit show does apply but if you do your homework and not be afraid to go make it happen the rewards especially these last few years are epic ..
    Had no idea some of you guys hate San Diego so much...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    willit float, calicoi and One_Leg like this.
  16. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Have you ever been down there or lived in the Gulf area at all? Got any idea of how horrible the biting bugs are around there? The sweltering heat and humidity.

Most SoCal guys are pretty delicate and wouldn't be able to abide that stuff for very long at all...

embo, willit float, stairman and 3 others like this.
  17. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Never lived there, but if my wife and I could take our California paying jobs with us I would already be there. I spent quite a bit of time in the Boynton Beach / Lantana area and really like it and try to get back as much as I can. Yes it can be hot and humid, but you can also catch Wahoo 200 yards off the beach today if you had the inclination and pull right up at your private dock and be in your pool 30 minutes later for the kind of money is being discussed in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love San Diego as much as the next person, it's a great city with a lot of great things going for it. But please consider the past 5-6 years have had HISTORICALLY good fishing. There was a solid stretch of years where a PB couldn't get on tuna within 50 miles of San Diego consistently, and local yellowtail fishing has been historically great for a few recent years as well, but it wasn't always that good and there is no telling when that cycle will be back "normal" or that Mexico changes its mind about accessibility.

FWIW, I will agree that the OP specifically asked about Southern California, and I should have kept my $0.02 to myself since it wasn't about Florida. It's just hard for me to see that and not think "Why is he looking in CA if he wants to retire and saltwater fish?"

stairman, colemans224 and 5-20 like this.
  18. ltran0614

ltran0614 Member

Name:
    L Train
    Boat:
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    Exactly my point .... enjoy the SoCal weather but just know you gotta deal w the traffic etc.

19. Ron Nielsen

Ron Nielsen Newbie

Name:
    Capt Ron
    Boat:
    19 ft north river
    Thanks for all the deferent veiws on all the deferent aspects of living and fishing
    I have lived over 55 years in cailforina and it is the best place to live in the world
    as far as I am concerned . I have learned to deal with more people more traffic and inflation . mabe I am thinking the grass is greener down south .
    after fallowing a few people vedios over the years I got hooked on tuna sene down in the SD area . have visited far few times and like it.

Thank you all
    Ron

gved823 likes this.
  20. QueenAnnesRevenge

QueenAnnesRevenge Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Steiger Craft 23dv Miami " Sofia Alexis"
    The best part about living in Florida is every other hurricane and you get a new boat and or house to rebuild.

ltran0614, makairaa, 5-20 and 2 others like this.