RETHINKING OF TACKLE FOR UPCOMMING 7 DAY

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by No Cal Lou, Jul 15, 2014.

1. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    WITH THE BLUE FIN FIASCO BETTER ADD THE CALICO BASS SET AND LEAVE HOME ANYTHING OVER 50lb. ONE MORE NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR THE SAN DIEGO FLEET. I TRULY THINK THAT MEXICO WANTS TO DO AWAY WITH OUR SPORT FISHING IN THEIR WATERS.

2. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Fished nothing but YT on recent 5 day (still a little irked we didn't even try for tuna), sea dogs were a menace beyond comprehension. 40 to 60lb fished like it was 50 to 80lb was about the only way to get through them.
    Used my 50 and 60lb set ups for the yoyo and managed better than all but a few real hot sticks, it was not finesse fishing. You need some heavy stuff for YT at the islands or on the ridge.

3. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Never leave home without 50+ on a 7 day. That would guarantee the re arrival of big eye....on second though :D

4. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    You will be fishing wahoo. Kevin likes you using 60 for wahoo. He also has some grouper spots that you'll fish big baits on. On the current trip we have several nice grouper already and we will be fishing them tomorrow. We have hung 3 marlin and the moray eels have been a nuisance(probably 9 or 10 of them). We are moving down to Thetis tonight then offshore and the rocks. These yellows on the ridge are beautiful 20-30 pound class fish. They've bit the yoyo well, and bait, especially Spanish macs, has been very good. We are mostly done with yellows. He wants to do a little exploring for tuna too. We'll see if that happens and pans out. Hopefully we find something we, and then you, can capitalize on.

5. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Evaluating the viability of my September trip now. I may keep a couple grand in my pocket and go chase albies up north or just relax in the Sierra with the family. I know that guys are saying this closure is no big deal. But, based on all the activity on the LR trips I've been on the past couple years this has a massive impact. The thought of reeling a fat BFT up to the rail only to help the deckhand pull the hook...jezus mary joseph.

6. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none

WHAT ROD AND REEL COMBO WOULD BE GOOD FOR GROUPER?

7. Ctony.clark

Ctony.clark Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Clark
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club

Agreed, I was ready to drop another $1000.00 for a back up 40 lbs. rig for a four day trip leaving Monday. No question at all now, save the money and spend it where I don't need to worry about enjoying my time off and hard earned money. As a consumer, I vote with my dollars, and there are plenty of places to catch exotics, and knowing the run around last year of the FFM visa, now this, my money will go elsewhere.
    I am not sure why so many on another thread are defending this shitty decision as minimal affect to the San Diego fleet. The Mexican Government has historically been and is currently corrupt, that is not a racist statement, it is fact, not sure for yourself, check what's happening at the US border, only one way that is possible, and it's not charity.
    If I could cancel my upcoming trip and head to Hawaii, the Carib., or Alaska, I would do it now.
    Wonder if the price on any of the forclosed upon Sportfishers from the San Diego landings is going up or down after yesterday's announcement???

reelconcerned likes this.
  8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
  9. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, my fishin buddy and I are mulling over cancellation now, too. This, I'm sad to say, will devastate the fleet. I also just placed an order for a 40-pound rig. The thought of driving for 8 hours to get to SD, paying for meals, gas and hotel room, forking over a week's worth of pay just to pay the balance left to the boat...to be faced with a ban on BFT. Not a happy day. My family has come to rely on the fish from these trips too - as a fun source of great meals.

I've been a sportfisherman, like a lot of guys here, since I started walking. Sportfishmermen are continuously hit over the head with regulations, blame for dropping fish stocks, etc. Hell with it...

reelconcerned likes this.
  10. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    100LB dropper loop Lou. If you fish big baits they can be very big.

11. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    You do realize that there are bluefin due west of San Diego in US waters that are very fishable. The San Diego fleet will adapt to this just like they always do and put you on fish. One of the funniest things I think I have ever seen was watching all of the sieners stopped at the border and the SD sport fleet in US waters catching bluefin while the US Coast Guard ran picket line duty.

Go Fishing and have a good time

Chasntuna likes this.
  12. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I remember fishing a SD sport boat several years back on a 3-day trip and we fished the Tanner banks with the bait tanks full of sardines and chovies and we slayed BFT in the 40lb to 60lb class on a solid pick type bite where there was an angler or two hooked up for most of the day... from the rising sun to sunset. IMO, the fact that Mexico is finally feeling the pressure to adhere to mandated harvest quotas for Bluefin is a very GOOD THING as the commercial purse seiners could literally wipe them out within a few years, and make millions of dollars doing so! Perhaps now that the Mexican government is seriously monitoring the harvest of BFT migrating through their waters we will see these prized fish more often in our local U.S. waters as long as sea temps and forage food are suitable. Thousands of BFT were taken by sport anglers off of So Cal in the early days of sport fishing... so who knows... maybe we will get back to that type of natural migration of yesteryear if that migrating school is not commercially net fished as heavily as they have been and commercial tonnage take quotas are strictly enforced... hey, a private boat angler recently caught a small YFT just outside of Newport harbor... so go figure!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    tuna-limits and Olddog8 like this.
  13. darrenforeal

darrenforeal Say no to bad info

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    36' Uniflite/Vagabond
    It would be very foolish and reactionary to cancel trips because of the bft thing. I'd wager they'll be gone soon enough anyways. I was out on a 3 day that got back today and we didn't see water below 71. Think what it wil be a month from now. Even if Mexico decides to come to their senses and do right thing, it will be moot by then IMO. And there ARE bft in US waters right outside the Mexico line. Worm bank, butterfly, 60, mushroom, airplane and dumping grounds.

The only way this will hurt the fleet is if you guys cancel. So it's in your hands. Go fishing have fun. You will catch nice fish.

Lake and wxdunn like this.
  14. wxdunn

wxdunn Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    I was on a 6-day last year in September, during the "year of the bluefin," and we didn't catch a single bluefin on our trip! Overshot the first day, then hit the mother lode of YFT on the way back up the line. Was I angry about it? Hell no! We had a great trip...even without bluefin tuna. Yes, it's possible. Go. Fish. Support the fleet. Have fun.

15. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Most were caught incidentally while fishing yellows either with a sliding sinker rig or the yo yo iron. Make sure you have plenty of 1-3(mainly 2) ounce sliding sinkers. The boat ran out of 2's- the size we mostly needed. I dropped down a big bait for awhile on 100 but got no interest even though he saw a couple of heavies on the finder. I hope you guys get good weather and can spend more time targeting wahoo. Good luck.

16. Jalos11

Jalos11 Newbie

Name:
    Javier
    Boat:
    Shogun
    i wont cancell my 7 day trip at the end of august, i know that the fleet will adapt and re-think the fishing strategies, i would not mind fishing the us waters for 7 days and making mexico refund me the cost of my fishing license to fish mexican waters, MEXICO come to your senses plz

Ctony.clark likes this.
  17. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I hooked three grouper got one…….got corn holed on the yo yo (50# blue/white JRI jig) and a big bait 50# (3# skippie ) but got a good on with a flylined sardine (no weight butt hooked) on 40# go figure…..lol

Caught at least 12 good yellows (20#-25#) on the JRI size 4 dark green surface iron…..lots of smaller ones too.

I can't figure some of you guys out…..there are no guarantees when one goes fishing……people expect because they pay money they are guaranteed to catch a specific fish like a cow tuna or a BFT, it is called fishing for a reason. We have one good BFT season now people think they will be there every year…..IMO nothing wrong with wahoo, dorado, YFT,YT, WSB, grouper and ling cod…….

Otis2527 and Pangamaster like this.
  18. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Go with the flow. You will not be disappointed. As long as the commercial fleet has a stop sign on bluefin that can only be good in the long run. In the mean time I think wahoo, yellowtail, yellowfin exc... will do nicely. This year will be a short season on bluefin anyway with the warm water.

Right now might be a good time to try a 2-3 day trip, if bluefin is your target.

The East end of Clemente is the 43, they are there now... Most likely the Tanner and Cortez banks too... There is fishing as good as long range out there.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  19. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Don't overthink it Dave! :)

September is not much of a BFT month, especially in a warm water year. You should be thinking YFT, Wahoo, YT and Dorado. I don't ever think I've caught BFT in September on a 7 day (??? guessing as you said a couple grand). You are way too far south for that GUARANTEED.

best

20. Yolo

Yolo Outcasts

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Relentless
    Ha...the RRIII right now is tearing it up on nice BFT off Clemente Island..nothing to do with the recent regulations.

Only worry you have is that a 7 day won't go that North and then the rocks South...

Good luck...post a report.

M

Mike Seneca likes this.