Offshore Resurrection of The Lost on The Tribute 10-10-18

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
I'll try to be brief. Left on the Tribute Tuesday night. What a great boat & what a great day fishing. Counts had been up & down, friends told me to do the day boats, I decided I would rather fish with 20 than 50. I dropped the extra bucks & was super glad I did.

Everything was typical. Capt said we were going a little further down than the previous day as they did fine but not great. When we stopped for the night it was so calm I seriously thought we had come back in & were at the dock. The boat barely moved in the flat calm seas. Awesome. We had scattered bites in the morning & then the action picked up steadily all day.

By about noon we were into a good grade of yellowfin, in the 15-25# range. I was on the stern with a young lady (who is a solid fisherman) a few feet to my right. I saw her rod go down hard in my peripheral vision. She yelled that she was on. Her rod went down again hard. The third time her rod started to go down, stopped about halfway, then shot out of her hands & straight out into the water. Every type of expletive you could imagine came out of her mouth. Sure any of us would have done that! The rod slowly disappeared into the depths. She continued to cuss, stomp & yell largely at herself for what she thought was a stupid mistake. About 15 seconds later a guy who was 2 people down to her right yells "I'm on". I believe this guy was her boyfriend. Clearly he had a good fish.

He began bringing it up & we all had that WTF moment as we saw a long light rod emerging from the depths. Everyone yelled, the deckhands came racing over & before you know it Tyler grabbed the rod & handed back to the lady. The fish was still on.

She battled it for a little bit then brought it to gaff. It was hilarious. I believe it was a 20# yft.

My part of the trip was awesome for me. I caught the biggest tuna's I have caught in years. I finished with a pair of YFT's in the mid 20's, a 15# & one about 25-30 pounds. I was stoked out of my mind.

On 2 different stops I had spotted a good 7-8" healthy sardine in the tank. I hooked him correctly, tossed him over but they largely remained lifeless in the water. No dice. On a later stop I had my good rod working great - 8' Proteus with a 400 Lexa. The tip of my finger got caught in some slack line as it spilled off the spool. A good sized yft slammed my bait, line around finger, squeezed the shit outta my finger then snapped my 30 flouro. No time to retie so I went to my good-ole-basic-big-5-special, a 7' Saber with Jigmaster 50 & 30 mono. The bite was so hot I figured mono wouldn't matter.

I found my 3rd & final giant sardine in the tank. He looked healthy. Over the side he went & swam & swam & swam. I knew it was a question of time. Of course, blammo, picked up & he's screaming off stripping line. Happy to have the full mono on with all that stretch.

After some great runs Tyler nails the gaff on was I optimistically thought is a 30# yellowfin, my personal best in years. Realistically, could have been 25, 27, maybe 30. Who knows but I was still stoked as it was a great fight & a great fish.

One of my other large ones, that I had on my Lexa, had some really great runs including one that went straight from the boat. The thing must have run 75-100 yards in one long stretch. I have about 250 yards of 45 braid to 5' 30 flouro on. It took about 3/4 of my spool. It was way out there. Tyler looked at it & said, "that line has seen the light of day since it was put on there". We all had a good laugh. After several minutes of a fun fight Tyler nailed the gaff again.

Seemed like we stayed late, left them biting. The weather was absolutely perfect all day. The crew, Tyler, Daniel & Capt. Mike were awesome. The Tribute is a great boat, plenty of room, well run. And all 20 of my co-fishermen & woman were totally considerate & helpful to each other. It was probably the best group I've been on a boat with in a long, long time.

Thank You To All!!!

IMG_2429.jpg IMG_2435.jpg IMG_2442-2.jpg IMG_2445.jpg IMG_2448.jpg IMG_2451.jpg

Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
And this guy caught more fish than anyone on the boat. It's always inspirational when someone is on the same boat & pulling in 2x what you are. I'm stoked cuz I used to be on the bottom, I feel I'm in the middle now as I usually do pretty well, hopefully on my way to the top!!!!!! He must have caught 14 yellowfin. Of course he gave them away. One went to this older Vietnam Vet. He was stoked as he didn't catch any yellows.

IMG_2451.jpg

Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
What was working line wise and hook wise for you?

I started out w 20 flouro & a 2 hook. The beerswilling fishkiller said use a 4, which he handed me a bunch of. As soon as I saw the first big fish I went to 30 flouro. In the end I screwed up my 2 good rods so I finished on 30 mono, didn't seem to matter at that point as they were boiling everywhere.

In the end I got picked up by a 25# fish about 10' off the rail. My bait wasn't even swimming & it got slammed on 30 mono.

Upvote 0