Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Can some one tell what type of resin/brand is used in making marlin lures?

I'm not looking to make marlin lures but need a crystal clear, UV stable resin.

I have lots of fiberglass experience from rebuilding the boat, but all of the resins I used were not UV rated and had a yellowish tint to them when dried.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
UV stable epoxy would be my choice.

Thanks Tanner.

I have used the mucho bucks west systems epoxy on the boat build but even the west systems had a yellow tint when poured in any substantial thickness.

I will be using the resin to play around with fishing lures, just not marlin lures.

I notice that a lot of the marlin lures are crystal clear, almost like glass.

That's what I'm looking for.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Thanks Tanner.

I have used the mucho bucks west systems epoxy on the boat build but even the west systems had a yellow tint when poured in any substantial thickness.

I will be using the resin to play around with fishing lures, just not marlin lures.

I notice that a lot of the marlin lures are crystal clear, almost like glass.

That's what I'm looking for.
Could use Alumilite but I think you have to cure it in a vacuum chamber to avoid bubbles. Check it out, it is supposed to be UV stable and crystal clear.

Upvote 0

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
May 7, 2011
Lakeside
Name
Sam
Boat
None
Check out solarez, they make all kinds of epoxys and they have a uv curing epoxy. They're in north county sd.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Check out solarez, they make all kinds of epoxys and they have a uv curing epoxy. They're in north county sd.

Thank you Sam.

I just checked out Solarez and they do make a clear casting resin.

I just need to see if it is UV resistant.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Clear casting resin,you could probably get it at Fiberlay near Morena Blvd.

Thank you Jim.

I spent a small fortune down there over the past 5 years.
For some reason I never thought about them.
I'll give em a call.

Upvote 0

Tautog_17

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
Can some one tell what type of resin/brand is used in making marlin lures?

I'm not looking to make marlin lures but need a crystal clear, UV stable resin.

I have lots of fiberglass experience from rebuilding the boat, but all of the resins I used were not UV rated and had a yellowish tint to them when dried.

Haven't tried to build trolling lures (yet), but I have been playing around with epoxies and other paints for a while now...

some options...

(#1) EpoxAcast 690 from smooth-on.com is clear and UV resistant. They also provide EXCELLENT customer services. Tell them exactly what you are trying to do and they will recommend a product - they ask good questions to.

2nd option: Klass Kote Epoxies (klasskote.com). Haven't seen yellowing while using this, but you can send them an email to check.

3rd option: quite economical, but I'm not sure if it's uv resistant. Try "Table Top Epoxy" from Pro Marine Supplies.

good luck

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Haven't tried to build trolling lures (yet), but I have been playing around with epoxies and other paints for a while now...

some options...

(#1) EpoxAcast 690 from smooth-on.com is clear and UV resistant. They also provide EXCELLENT customer services. Tell them exactly what you are trying to do and they will recommend a product - they ask good questions to.

2nd option: Klass Kote Epoxies (klasskote.com). Haven't seen yellowing while using this, but you can send them an email to check.

3rd option: quite economical, but I'm not sure if it's uv resistant. Try "Table Top Epoxy" from Pro Marine Supplies.

good luck

Thank you for the information Matt!

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Upvote 0

Master Chief

Aug 18, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Name
Chad Lukehart
Boat
Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
Easier than a vacuum chamber is a pressure chamber made from a pressurized paint can, you can get them at Harbor Freight, 40 PSI of pressure through the curing process will keep the bubbles from forming at all.

Upvote 0

rg380

Jul 9, 2015
San Diego
Name
ram
Boat
chasintail (friends boat)
Alumilite website has polyurethane resin that is UV stable. It actually is only stable for a couple years. It will turn yellow after a couple years. This stuff is strong and it is hard to chip. You will need a pressure chamber and vacuum chamber and pump to get rid of the bubbles.

Upvote 0

Pete310

Aug 12, 2016
Gardena
Name
Pete
Boat
None
RenderedImage.jpg
AA7DE58C-6A1C-40AC-B0E3-A8D91902383E.JPG
RenderedImage.jpg
626CB12B-7F0D-4495-B6DD-3C520929A374.JPG