Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Thanks. Everyone bashes kingfishers..mostly paint issues, some quality control, etc. But I’ve never heard from someone who actually has owned one of the bigger boats who doesn’t like it..owners say they have some issues, but the seaworthiness and handling make up for the paint/rigging issues. I know they spot weld, use caulk and bondo, then paint over it all. They made the Kingfisher 3325 from 2010 to 2018, and there‘s only one for sale in the US and Canada. I figured if they were a POS people would be dumping them left and right. I haven’t heard of their boats sinking more than any other boat. I found two older Coldwaters for sale, but only one 3325?? Are owners embarrassed they paid so much for shit, and just keep them in their yard because they are unsafe? Serious questions.
I had twin outboards on my Grady but no bow thruster. I could spin circles in its own length, but couldn’t move sideways into the wind. I would love to hear from people who have paid for Joystick control, and decided it was a total waste of money. Either due to lack of capability, or cost of maintaining. Thanks for the comments!
I have 2 boats local in the 30 ft range with Optimus. One with twins, one with triples. You are more than welcome to come run them. I have keys to both. You will see it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I promise. Both owners feel the same way

Reactions: Hot_Pursuit
Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
Boatless.....
from a design point of view, the COPE designed Kingfishers have a very solid designer behind them. From a build / paint perspective, Not my cup of tea, but i see a few in recreational and charter use on WCVI. I don’t know of any that have sank.

my own personal interest in Helmaster is really only for halibut fishing, so i can fish also....I didn’t option it on the new boat but like all things that mature over time, I might add it.

Fishing and cruising into and out of new and strange marinas in an aluminum boat, I would get a bow thruster. Like Pat said get one w muscle and the battery grunt to run it.

6 people is a lot....

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
I have 2 boats local in the 30 ft range with Optimus. One with twins, one with triples. You are more than welcome to come run them. I have keys to both. You will see it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I promise.
That’s a fucking awesome offer! Thanks. Will definitely take you up on that. Just a ride on the twins would be all i needed, since my boat will be twin powered. sending a PM your way.
Thanks again

Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
Gotta say Patrick pretty much hit most the nails on the head. I’ve seen a kingfisher with the house half removed.... not on purpose

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
I also wish I had a bow thruster on mine... not often but when I wish it was there I REALLY wish it was there
I use it a lot on my single inboard. Didn’t think i would use it much with twin outboards. Might be spending 10k on a big thruster and deleting the Optimus system...+15k ahead. Would like to hear from owners who have Optimus and don’t like it.

Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
I would look at Northwest Alumacraft build on Vancouver Island if it were me.

F40C2973-3115-4592-A751-B01AFE0818D2.jpeg

Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
weld and build quality very high, never could get a hold of them for a quote. That picture gives me the following sea willies, but hey this is the internet..ha
That picture does make it seem like it is pushing a lot of water.
A smaller NW Alumicraft that shows the bow better
5EF44968-4C42-4529-85DE-EA027AE64711.jpeg

Know a guy that just had this sweet Wooldridge built.
0F53BFB5-41DD-4980-9EFB-F3183559F935.jpeg

E0FA332F-740B-412E-B623-AAC619E2B651.jpeg

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. This is very helpful, as its kinda overwhelming to try and think of everything that i would want in my my last boat. If anyone thinks of something that would be beneficial in the planning process, post it or send me a PM. Even things like recommendations for fridges, pumps, hatches, etc would be great.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I get to play with SlapShot’s Optimus system (no way I was going to say ”joystick”). Because it’s a cat, I can EASILY do almost every steering action it can. The only thing I can’t do is crab sideways. Is it cool, yup. Is it worth $25k, nope. As Patrick said, you could get very close with a bow thruster and not have the added steering failure possibilities.

A sea chest would be cool if you are running hardcore and lots of raw water pumps. But, we’ve been doing straight thruhulls up here forever and getting it done.

RSW (raw sea water) cooling system for fish would be great, but how often will you need to ice a 50-100 ? A full tote of flake ice costs $50. If you’re going with a new build, have them build in SMAK 1/2 totes or other very well insulated ice storage. I think the 1/2 totes are $450. Pretty sure your several thousand into a well done RSW system and you’ve added more failure and maintenance points.

Do the getset and add a couple cubic foot chest freezer. You’ll be able to keep whatever seafood (outside of tuna trips) you catch over a week or so on the water.

SeaKeeper is cool as heck to greatly reduce the rocking, but it doesn’t stop the up and down. It doesn’t stop any slapping. It doesn’t help cut through the waves. Cats with taller sponsons and heavier monohulls with proper hull shape do that. Would I prefer to go out in a boat with a SeaKeeper vs one without? Hell yeah. Would I want to pay for it? Nope. I’d gladly drop an extra $50-$100 to fish Coleman’s 42’ over the others just because of the SeaKeeper.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I am with most on the joystick being a waste of money. Get a good bow thruster and call it good. Rsw systems are not something that is practical for a sportsman as the cost to buy/install and maintain will be substantial. Invest in ice storage/ fish hold capacity instead. Having a freezer is great, I had a small chest freezer in part of the hold of my last boat. I might forgo the built in generator and just add battery capacity. With proper house battery capacity and an inverter the only time you may need a generator is if you are stuck on pick for more than a couple days. A smaller honda portable can be thrown on for longer trips. A couple things I had and almost never used on my last boat were the tv and microwave but ymmv. Trailering a boat that big sucks and is very costly to put on a ferry. Running on it’s own bottom is so much more enjoyable but again that is just me. I think your budget for new may be a bit light with the prices I have seen, especially with $30,0000 plus in sale tax. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
I get to play with SlapShot’s Optimus system (no way I was going to say ”joystick”). Because it’s a cat, I can EASILY do almost every steering action it can. The only thing I can’t do is crab sideways. Is it cool, yup. Is it worth $25k, nope. As Patrick said, you could get very close with a bow thruster and not have the added steering failure possibilities.

A sea chest would be cool if you are running hardcore and lots of raw water pumps. But, we’ve been doing straight thruhulls up here forever and getting it done.

RSW (raw sea water) cooling system for fish would be great, but how often will you need to ice a 50-100 ? A full tote of flake ice costs $50. If you’re going with a new build, have them build in SMAK 1/2 totes or other very well insulated ice storage. I think the 1/2 totes are $450. Pretty sure your several thousand into a well done RSW system and you’ve added more failure and maintenance points.

Do the getset and add a couple cubic foot chest freezer. You’ll be able to keep whatever seafood (outside of tuna trips) you catch over a week or so on the water.

SeaKeeper is cool as heck to greatly reduce the rocking, but it doesn’t stop the up and down. It doesn’t stop any slapping. It doesn’t help cut through the waves. Cats with taller sponsons and heavier monohulls with proper hull shape do that. Would I prefer to go out in a boat with a SeaKeeper vs one without? Hell yeah. Would I want to pay for it? Nope. I’d gladly drop an extra $50-$100 to fish Coleman’s 42’ over the others just because of the SeaKeeper.
Awesome. Thanks. Getting close to scrapping the Joystick requirement. Probably the Seakeeper too. That’s 50k more budget for other stuff. I like the dedicated freezer idea...where would you put it? in the cockpit? Transom mounted freezer/fridge fish boxes like a big Grady?
when I saw snapshots build and yours, I really liked the 1/2 tote idea. But it raised a couple questions..
Is the Tote ever removed?
How easy is it to remove the plumbing from it (assuming you had it hooked to a gulper pump)?
I don’t think the SMAK top is used so do you have an insulated hatch above it?

thanks again,
Eric

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
Boatless.....
Hardy and Bella Bella have salt flake, with 6 people fishing you will need at least a tote and additional coolers w ice. Your 33’ is shrinking. My run long trips ( Aristzibal Island ) really pushed the limits of the 37’.... I did use an Engel portable freezer in the storage area under cabin, had to be mindful of load on inverter and the house and run generator a bit....

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I like the dedicated freezer idea...where would you put it? in the cockpit? Transom mounted freezer/fridge fish boxes like a big Grady?

A couple ideas. My buddy has a 30’ Ocean Sport with diesel. He has a freezer under the cockpit, forward of the diesel. No room for motor, freezer, and tote down there. If you’ll be running outboards, then you might be able to get the freezer and tote in there, but you couldn’t have a cockpit-centered bait tank. You likely won’t need the bait tank and freezer on the same trips (freezer for those weeklong excursions, which wouldn’t be tuna trips). You could put the 1/2 aft, under the cockpit, then freezer forward of that. Have 2 freezer deck hatches built. One normal and one for a removable bait tank that has the plumbing holes in it. Permanently secure bait tank to deck hatch. When you need tank removed, open hatch, close ball valves, unscrew the two hoses, and unplug the light wire. Then, with a buddy’s help, remove the bait tank/hatch and replace with normal deck hatch. You could have the freezer removable if you wanted.
Or, do a mid transom bait tank, maybe one in each corner to reduce the chance of someone blocking one of them. Then you have your 1/2 tote and freezer always accessible, plus no fussing with R&R of a bait tank.

Is the Tote ever removed? How easy is it to remove the plumbing from it (assuming you had it hooked to a gulper pump)?

They can be removed with 12 or so screws each. Then just unscrew the 2” pipe fitting. Pull the tote right up. EZPZ. We never plan on removing themhen we go on excursions, I’ll load the totes up with block ice and have ample cold storage for easily a week. Plus, block ice should be easily purchased when getting fuel. I don’t think I’ll need a freezer.

I don’t think the SMAK top is used so do you have an insulated hatch above it?

Correct. ACI built custom, insulated lids for SlapShot and Allied is doing the same for me. We learned a few things from SlapShot :). Goatram would be proud of us. Rip off and improve design.... hahaha.

thanks again,
Eric

You are definitely pushing the limit on your funds. Might as well take the necessary time to get it as best suited as you can.

Upvote 0