Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    Been wanting a dog for quite some time, and never did get one due to work and not enough time. Well, I retired and found a buddy at the local shelter. He was a 9 month old Pit bull "mix" (mixed with another pitbull, because he does not looked mixed). $25 bucks...

I've had him for a little over a month and he's just a doll. Likes people, especially kids, likes most other dogs, and even likes my cat, though she hates him. I already taught him; sit, down, stay (brief periods), shake, and fetch (doesn't like to let go). He is a leash puller but he's getting better.

Vet said he has no internal parasites, no heart worms, teeth and ears are great... he's just a healthy pup and he was already neutered. He doesn't like me to leave him for any length of time, but that'll get better the longer he's with me and sees I always come back. I've experimented with walking him close to the house off leash and he stays with me. Even plays at the park in my neighborhood with a couple other dogs most mornings off leash. Vet said he weighs 52 lbs and will likely top out around 57-60 lbs. Named him Tank, because he's built like one.

62915230753__BEC2513E-BEDF-4764-B406-65A76DEB6217.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    It isn't the dog or the breed, it's the owner who trains it. Nephew had a 110 lb pitt that watched his kids in the yard. Niece has 2 of them and they're both lovers. I'm no professional, and as I said this is my first dog in a long damn time. I have read 2 books on training (Zak George and Brandon McMillan) and watched tons of video.

In 6 weeks I have him crate trained (still an oops if I don't monitor closely), he sits on command, lays down, shakes hands, does fetch (still working on let go), we walk to the park at the end of my cul-de-sac to meet 2 other dogs every morning off leash, now. When he sees the other dogs, he sits and looks at me... as soon as I say "okay" he bolts off to go play. When I put his food bowl down he looks at me and waits for me to say "okay". This morning I put it down and tested him... went to the kitchen to make coffee... he sat there for the couple minutes it took and waited, even though I wasn't looking at him.

He's learning fast, and yes... he makes mistakes and can be stubborn at times. He doesn't respond quickly to "come here" yet, and if he's playing, he'll ignore me until I get closer.

He'll get better as we go forward. Point is... those mean dogs were TAUGHT to be mean over time. They're not mean at birth.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Try an EZ walk harness to prevent pulling,they learn real fast and no choking or work on your part.
    Good on you for taking him in.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    This dog is an absolute doll. He's just getting better as we go forward. Very high energy, so I have to exercise him a lot, but it's been worth it. He's a hard headed little son of a bitch (literally!), but so am I. Read a third book, now... Cesar Millan's Cesar's Way. I'm fascinated by training books and will likely read more. Cesar is a multi-million dollar dog trainer for a reason. His advice is sound as a pound.

Wife wasn't really thrilled about a dog, but damned if she's not on board, now. He greets her when she comes home and she loves it. Wondering how he's going to be when I'm gone fishing for 12-14 hours a day in a couple months.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Pits are great dogs. They take a lot of work and patience.
    The important thing is to socialize them. With people and other dogs. I used to think it was funny when I would go to a friend's house. And his dog was a German Shepherd. All the dog had to do was smell my female pits scent on my. The shepherd would cower in fear.
    I like pits a lot. They're industrial dogs.

Upvote 0

Rick U

Almost A Member
    Oct 22, 2004
    LA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Montauk
    Try an EZ walk harness to prevent pulling,they learn real fast and no choking or work on your part.
    Good on you for taking him in.

I’ve never heard of these harnesses. I picked one up at the pet store and it just works. Great tip thanks. It took my pup about 30 seconds to stop pulling and he’s walking right next to us with slack in the leash.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    There’s nothing quite as noble as rescuing a dog, especially when they’re not pups anymore. My buddy, Pete, was 2 when we brought him home. It took probably another 18 months, and a surgery before he settled in. He’s 10 now and has been my constant pal since. Sometimes I wonder who rescued who?
    7C3B8805-7773-4AD4-9D59-B15EFF160409.jpeg

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    I’ve never heard of these harnesses. I picked one up at the pet store and it just works. Great tip thanks. It took my pup about 30 seconds to stop pulling and he’s walking right next to us with slack in the leash.
    Okay... went and got one today at Petsmart. Same story... took him all of 2 times pulling to realize he couldn't do that any more. Wow. It does just work. He was getting better, but this just did the trick. Petsmart had that exact harness for $33.++ and they matched the price on that link. When I pulled it up on my phone it was $20.95. $13 drop in price.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    The sheperd i have now was wild,she lived off rabbits near my house and when i finally caught her she freaked if you put a collar on her and tried to walk her,then i got an ezwalk and within minutes she learned not to freak and pull.
    The nice thing is the harness doesnt choke or hurt them in any way,just teaches them to walk correctly.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Saving a dog is god work..

You are right about pits.. the lead dog matters..
    You can even turn a black lab into a snarling biter if you want to ruin one

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    • Haha
    Reactions: HookEmDanO
    Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    Congrats on getting a dog. Do your neighborhood a favor though and keep him on a leash, especially in the park. Pitbulls have a terrible reputation and make a lot of people nervous, no matter how "sweet" you think she might be.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Do some research on pits. They are not mean or vicious. In fact, Cesar Millan, Zak George and a number of other trainers have said what I said in a previous post. Dogs are not mean by nature. None of them. Not even pits. They are a product of their environment and many, many pitbull owners have criminal records. He has been around plenty of dogs at our local dog park, big and small. He licks their faces.

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    Do some research on pits. They are not mean or vicious. In fact, Cesar Millan, Zak George and a number of other trainers have said what I said in a previous post. Dogs are not mean by nature. None of them. Not even pits. They are a product of their environment and many, many pitbull owners have criminal records. He has been around plenty of dogs at our local dog park, big and small. He licks their faces.

Here is some research.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    That was some cherry picked research. The DOG is not the problem. The BREED is not the problem. The criminal douchebags that train them to be vicious IS the problem.

- I'm 100% certain this guy knows more about dogs.

- I'm 100% certain this guy knows more about dogs.

The second video is under 6 minutes and really explains the stigma.

Upvote 0