Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I needed to scratch an itch for tuna. My birthday was may29 and I booked a trip on the Tribute leaving 5pm may 30. This trip was a 1 1/2 day running further south than I can run on my boat. This was the first time I have been on the Tribute or the Holiday as it was before Captain Mike bought it. Really a top notch crew all the way. Hell they even have Ballast Point beer on board.

Because nobody I knew went I spent the ride out talking to new friends. One was a 72 year old named Mark. He was a wealth of knowledge on fishing, boats and was a retired coast guard officer.

The boat woke up the next morning to rough but fishable waters. Our heading was still south. A few pattys along the way that we trolled by but Captain Mike said we are still running south into cleaner water and not spending much time on these kelps.

A few hours later and much further south the water got cleaner, warmer and more life showed. Mike located porpoise and we would troll to and thru them and this was how the majority of the Yellow fin were caught. With anchovies for bait you needed a small size 1 or 2 hook with a little weight to cast away from the boat.

While in this area I never saw Mark on deck. I talked to a few others and nobody else saw him either. I made mention to one of the deckhands and he went to try to find him. He was in his bunk and was suffering from stroke symptoms. We had a paramedic on board that that had checked his vitals and kept him stable.

This video shows the coast guard swimmer and crew moving Mark in preparation for the pick up of the chopper. The wash from the chopper was strong and the crew was soaked but acted calmly and professionally the whole time. Captain Mike had to stay at one heading doing about 10 knots while the chopper flew sideways to both pick and drop off the swimmer and then get Mark in the chopper safely

The skill of all involved is not to be underrated from the crew of the Tribute and of the Coast Guard. Mark was reported to be doing better and wanted to make sure his tackle was looked after. Enjoy this video play it loud. Tight lines Doug

The drop off of the rescue swimmer

More on my utube

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Wow, great video footage. I hope MARK is all right.........

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
this is why it's so great to be an American. our guys will try their best to come out for you. God bless those guys who jump to save people. glad they got to rescue one of their own. hope he is doing better

Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
Kick ass video! Major props to the US Coast Guard! Sorry you guys had a sick passenger, but thank god the CG was able to pick him up and medivac him outa there. Hope Mark makes a full recovery.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Hope your new friend will make a full recovery.... Hope you guys got some tuna on the deck...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BluePabst

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30
Damn, that's crazy! And btw, that's a heads up thing you did there to alert the crew about the guy. Who knows what would have happened if the crew didn't find him when they did.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Doug very unselfish thinking you may very well saved this man's ability to fish strokes if caught in time any damage can be reversed good fishing coming your way

Reactions: chad gee
Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Wow,hats off to those guys,truly amazing and heroic,ect ect! Hope your new acquaintance is ok.

Upvote 0

FishinChic

Almost A Member
May 15, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Karen
Boat
Bubba Jean 28
Good call Doug, inquiring about your new friend not on deck fishing; USCG is awesome; great job by the Captain & crew working with the CG; cool video!

Hope Mark will be ok!!

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Wow man! Pretty amazing how some things happen for a reason. If you had not been on that trip and made friends with him it might have gone the other way. Hats off to everyone involved.

Upvote 0

happyhunter

happyhunter
Apr 25, 2003
Orange,Ca
Visit site
Name
Bruce Jackson
Boat
26' Wellcraft "Happy Hunter"
I needed to scratch an itch for tuna. My birthday was may29 and I booked a trip on the Tribute leaving 5pm may 30. This trip was a 1 1/2 day running further south than I can run on my boat. This was the first time I have been on the Tribute or the Holiday as it was before Captain Mike bought it. Really a top notch crew all the way. Hell they even have Ballast Point beer on board.

Because nobody I knew went I spent the ride out talking to new friends. One was a 72 year old named Mark. He was a wealth of knowledge on fishing, boats and was a retired coast guard officer.

The boat woke up the next morning to rough but fishable waters. Our heading was still south. A few pattys along the way that we trolled by but Captain Mike said we are still running south into cleaner water and not spending much time on these kelps.

A few hours later and much further south the water got cleaner, warmer and more life showed. Mike located porpoise and we would troll to and thru them and this was how the majority of the Yellow fin were caught. With anchovies for bait you needed a small size 1 or 2 hook with a little weight to cast away from the boat.

While in this area I never saw Mark on deck. I talked to a few others and nobody else saw him either. I made mention to one of the deckhands and he went to try to find him. He was in his bunk and was suffering from stroke symptoms. We had a paramedic on board that that had checked his vitals and kept him stable.

This video shows the coast guard swimmer and crew moving Mark in preparation for the pick up of the chopper. The wash from the chopper was strong and the crew was soaked but acted calmly and professionally the whole time. Captain Mike had to stay at one heading doing about 10 knots while the chopper flew sideways to both pick and drop off the swimmer and then get Mark in the chopper safely

The skill of all involved is not to be underrated from the crew of the Tribute and of the Coast Guard. Mark was reported to be doing better and wanted to make sure his tackle was looked after. Enjoy this video play it loud. Tight lines Doug

The drop off of the rescue swimmer

More on my utube

Upvote 0

happyhunter

happyhunter
Apr 25, 2003
Orange,Ca
Visit site
Name
Bruce Jackson
Boat
26' Wellcraft "Happy Hunter"
The CG is great. A few years back, on our 26' boat, we were on our way for albies. We were 55 miles south when I had a kidney stone attack. We called the CG and headed back north. Pretty rough going (12 knots). CG said they would be on the way in about 30 minutes (had to wake the helo crew). When they arrived, the pilot (a woman) advised us to remove all shrapnel, rods etc. from the deck and NOT to touch the swimmer when he was lowered. It seems they were higher than the video looked, but we all were soaked anyway. They lowered a basket , a short one that I had to sit up in and hold on to my knees. When they lifted me, it looked like the helo was coming down instead of me going up (an optical illusion). They quickly took vital signs and flew me to Scripps. Was in terrible pain until the morphine, then couldnt care less :-). I passed the stone and lived happily ever after. Kudos again to the Coast Guard.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Bad asses. All of them...

Glad to have guys like that watching our collective asses...

Reactions: hankhowi
Upvote 0