oceanski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
My 1988 motor has been nothing but problems since April and I'm ready to give up on it and repower. I have it narrowed down to either a Yamaha or Suzuki 175 or 200 4 stroke. I've been pricing out new motors from multiple dealers and stumbled across this site in my search. Does anyone have experience with this site? The motors are extremely cheap.

http://www.yamaha-outboardsale.com/...-stroke-inline-outboard-motor-sale-p-301.html

Also just wondering if anyone has recommendations for local dealers if this site isn't legit.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Upvote 0

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
I don't know of this site but most of the time if its too good to be true, then it is.. Do a Google search of the site. And you'll find info

Reactions: nefarious235
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
i wouldn't send money to a overseas company that is apparently owned by........JOE KING (JOKING)
UNLESS YOU GET FEEDBACK FROM SOMEONE YOU TRUST BEWARE.

Reactions: nefarious235
Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Go to a reputable local dealer and buy a YAMAHA.

Reactions: Canyon and goatram
Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
My vote is to go with a local dealer (in case of issues, warranty, and future service needs) and to widen your search to include a Honda!

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
local dealer yamaha f200 I4.

benchmark price will be boats.net pricing plus several hundred dollars.

Rigging will be $1,500- $2,700 depending on gauge package plus labor of 8-10 hours at $125/hr plus prop if needed.

And of course, sales tax......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Reading the engine reviews within the website, to me it appears that they may have all be written by the same person....

Upvote 0

oceanski

Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be shopping around locally in the near future. I looked into Honda but would like to stick with Yamaha and possibly Suzuki to save a little bit of money. From the research I've done it seems that you can't go wrong with the Yamaha 200.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Buy one out of Florida (no tax) and have it shipped to a dealer for installation..........

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Besides for the fact it is basically a Yami 150, you're right, people seem to like them.
Even if it is the same block, still outputs 50 more hp. That's a considerable gain without adding weight.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
That's interesting, I wonder why that is. Being of similar weight, adding 50hp should be a considerable performance gain but I guess not.

Reactions: Canyon
Upvote 0

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
That's interesting, I wonder why that is. Being of similar weight, adding 50hp should be a considerable performance gain but I guess not.

In what I've read from industry reports, is that the Yam 150 is an over-powered 150 and the new Yam i4-200 is a considerably under-powered 200. The 150 doesn't require premium fuel like the i4-200 as well.

Just something to consider when you will have to pay a considerable price jump for the new 200 over the 150. People love both, so you can't go wrong with either, but the extra 50hp rating is a bit deceiving (solely based on internet research...).

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
In what I've read from industry reports, is that the Yam 150 is an over-powered 150 and the new Yam i4-200 is a considerably under-powered 200. The 150 doesn't require premium fuel like the i4-200 as well.

Just something to consider when you will have to pay a considerable price jump for the new 200 over the 150. People love both, so you can't go wrong with either, but the extra 50hp rating is a bit deceiving (solely based on internet research...).
Good to know, that's an interesting move by Yamaha. Didn't know about the premium fuel either, though it makes sense.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Sea Witch Marine put a 150 yamaha on my Cabo 4 years ago. Best choice I ever made. Speed is not a main issue in the Cabo most of the time. Conditions do more to dictate the speed I go. I never run at top speed. Friday we ran 150 miles and burned 43 gallons of fuel with three people and 100 plus pounds of ice. The 200!would be great but higher compression ratio requiring higher octane fuel I will stick with my 150. Trim tabs and correct propeller are everything.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I suggest. You read about the counterbalance crank weight system before you launch on either the 150 or the 200 Yamaha. The good news is that a guy with moderate skill can do the fix.........

Reactions: oceanski
Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I have a Suzuki DF175 on a 216. It's rated for minimum 87 octane but Suzuki suggest 91 octane (Research Method.) I've only used 91 octane in addition with Starbrite StarTron and motor just purrs. So quite, you forget it's running.

After 600+ hours, prop is spotless of carbon deposits. Regular maintenance is very easy to service yourself. Quite fuel efficient and has plenty of power with 3 guys, 140+ pounds of ice, 16 rods and reels, loads of tackle with livewells full (40 gallons). Could use a tad bit more torque when the livewells are full out of the hole in washing machine conditions but no complaints.

With a full load, WOT to about 36MPH. With a light load, WOT to about 44 MPH. Usually cruise around 4000 to 4300RPM (20mph to 25mph) getting anywhere from 2.3 MPG (heavy load) to 3.8MPG light load with empty livewells.

The new release Suzuki DF200A (not the DF200) dry weight is very close to the DF175. Might want to check this motor out as well. The DF175 weights about 487 pounds dry. I would not suggest to hang a heavier motor as the water line will sit close to the top of the transom. If you relocate the batteries more forward then that would help. I have two 74 pound batteries that weighs down the stern which should be relocated.

Suzuki DF's has a timing chain and Yamaha has a timing belt. Besides those features, I think Yamaha and Suzuki are neck to neck with performance, reliability and warranty coverage. Both brands are winners.

I'm just a consumer and not a mechanic so this is my experience and opinions about Suzuki's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyon and oceanski
Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
I have a Suzuki DF175 on a 216. It's rated for minimum 87 octane but Suzuki suggest 91 octane (Research Method.) I've only used 91 octane in addition with Starbrite StarTron and motor just purrs. So quite, you forget it's running.

After 600+ hours, prop is spotless of carbon deposits. Regular maintenance is very easy to service yourself. Quite fuel efficient and has plenty of power with 3 guys, 140+ pounds of ice, 16 rods and reels, loads of tackle with livewells full (40 gallons). Could use a tad bit more torque when the livewells are full out of the hole in washing machine conditions but no complaints.

With a full load, WOT to about 36MPH. With a light load, WOT to about 44 MPH. Usually cruise around 4000 to 4300RPM (20mph to 25mph) getting anywhere from 2.3 MPG (heavy load) to 3.8MPG light load with empty livewells.

The new release Suzuki DF200A (not the DF200) dry weight is very close to the DF175. Might want to check this motor out as well. The DF175 weights about 487 pounds dry. I would not suggest to hang a heavier motor as the water line will sit close to the top of the transom. If you relocate the batteries more forward then that would help. I have two 74 pound batteries that weighs down the stern which should be relocated.

Suzuki DF's has a timing chain and Yamaha has a timing belt. Besides those features, I think Yamaha and Suzuki are neck to neck with performance, reliability and warranty coverage. Both brands are winners.

I'm just a consumer and not a mechanic so this is my experience and opinions about Suzuki's.

Nice.. Sounds efficient. I prefer a timing chain over a belt.......

Upvote 0