Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Hello,
I posted previously enquiring Which direction I should go to Repower my boat. Got a lot of feed back, thanks for all the responses if your reading this post as well.

Finally figured it out after a few months of searching. I’m going to order a brand New GM 5.7 Vortec from marineengines4less. Any good /bad experiences? Warranty seems solid. They said it’s covered even if I install. $4,700 for the engine

Thanks in advance for your responses

Here is the motor
http://marineengines4less.com/new-m...ine-with-exhaust-replaces-years-1996-present/

JPeterson

Mar 16, 2009
Bakersfield, Ca, USA
Name
Jeremy Peterson
Boat
22' Davis Cortez
I ordered one and installed it myself last season. Knock on wood, so far I've had zero issues with it. Runs great and everything was as advertised. My old motor suffered from water intrusion due to bad riser gaskets. My manifolds and risers were in decent shape but certainly not new, so I bought a motor that came with manifolds and risers. It was much cheaper than buying them separately, and they were professionally installed. We had the new motor installed in the boat in a couple of hours and the rest is history.

deepfisher1

Nov 17, 2010
Kula,Hawaii USA
Name
Anthony
Boat
Hua Nui
I am also interested in repowering a 1989 Radoncraft 22 I purchased a month ago, as it is salt water cooled. Where can I buy a complete closed system fresh water cooling system (heat exchanger) kit?

Reactions: 2na

JPeterson

Mar 16, 2009
Bakersfield, Ca, USA
Name
Jeremy Peterson
Boat
22' Davis Cortez
Deepfisher1 - You can buy these motors with fresh water cooking already installed on them from marineengines4less.com. When I bought my motor it was a choice you had along with which carb you wanted, the type of manifolds, etc.

Reactions: hookenthemlips
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I ordered one and installed it myself last season. Knock on wood, so far I've had zero issues with it. Runs great and everything was as advertised. My old motor suffered from water intrusion due to bad riser gaskets. My manifolds and risers were in decent shape but certainly not new, so I bought a motor that came with manifolds and risers. It was much cheaper than buying them separately, and they were professionally installed. We had the new motor installed in the boat in a couple of hours and the rest is history.

Sweeet!! That’s good to hear I’m so nervous ordering one online because of all the horror stories, but seems most people don’t leave reviews unless they feel like they were F%^* over. Figure can’t go wrong with a brand new motor. I Plan on ordering today or tomorrow. Thanks for the positive feedback ! :)

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I am also interested in repowering a 1989 Radoncraft 22 I purchased a month ago, as it is salt water cooled. Where can I buy a complete closed system fresh water cooling system (heat exchanger) kit?

I see them on marineengines4less.com for about $900 I think depending on engine. I want one installed as well I think I’m going to order it with my motor. Calling today to see if they can install before shipping to me

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
The reason I asked about the engine you are replacing is due to some changes I encountered when I bought a GM 4.3 Marine Vortec replacement...some of the changes from the older motor to the new one were different, even though the motor was stated as an exact replacement for the year I had...the dip stick and oil pan connection was different, the carb spacer, starter motor alignment, the flywheel housing and a few other small things...anyway had to track some of those parts down because michiganmotorz didn't offer them at the time...my point is, get the most complete turn-key engine you can.

Last edited:

Kahouna

Nov 18, 2011
Escondido
Name
Matt
Boat
Flatlander
Just installed a 4.3 vortec from them. Went from TBI to carb so it took a while to sort out the wiring but it is finally running. I need to get it in the water and start the break in process. If you think you may need any special bolts, they can also track down some of them. I added the bolts for the coupler because I was lazy. Mine was the complete package with the risers. No drama on the install. Make sure you have the old motor close. I needed the oil filter screw from my old one and it served as a good reference when I started hanging things on the new one.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Just installed a 4.3 vortec from them. Went from TBI to carb so it took a while to sort out the wiring but it is finally running. I need to get it in the water and start the break in process. If you think you may need any special bolts, they can also track down some of them. I added the bolts for the coupler because I was lazy. Mine was the complete package with the risers. No drama on the install. Make sure you have the old motor close. I needed the oil filter screw from my old one and it served as a good reference when I started hanging things on the new one.
Sweet. I’ should have mine ordered today. Just one more call to make sure it’s everyhing I need. But yeah that’s the one I’m getting as well with the risers and elbows. Hoping it will just fall into place when i install. Will be my first install , renting a back ho to get it in

Reactions: Kahouna

Kahouna

Nov 18, 2011
Escondido
Name
Matt
Boat
Flatlander
I took a lot of pictures with my phone when I disassembled. Comes in handy. Tape and mark all your wires too. Make sure to clean the paint off when you attach your ground. Ask me how I know that one! I used a forklift with fork extensions. Took all of 30 minutes. If you have any ability under the hood, you got this!

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I took a lot of pictures with my phone when I disassembled. Comes in handy. Tape and mark all your wires too. Make sure to clean the paint off when you attach your ground. Ask me how I know that one! I used a forklift with fork extensions. Took all of 30 minutes. If you have any ability under the hood, you got this!
Lol smart use that technology . The guy that’s installing my motor can’t do it until Monday and he said if disassemble my self he will basically swap the old with the new for nothing. So I might give it a go . How’s it been running for you?

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
is it a complete drop in engine with exhaust and risers? where did you end up getti g it from?
Yeah has everything. Intake /exaust , new Edelbrock carb. I just went with marineengines4less. They’re warranty seemed the best, all the places I’ve looked prior have stipulation on warranty . Has to be installed at shop with receipts/dates etc. and any warranty work done will be at that place/price.. blah blah bla. But marineengine4less said they’d warranty it regardless if I install it. Only thing they don’t cover is overheating as far as I know. Plus the lady I spoke with answered the phone every time I called . They’re personal business . Hope the motor is as great as it seems with no issues. It Looks soo purrrrty!!!

Kahouna

Nov 18, 2011
Escondido
Name
Matt
Boat
Flatlander
Lol smart use that technology . The guy that’s installing my motor can’t do it until Monday and he said if disassemble my self he will basically swap the old with the new for nothing. So I might give it a go . How’s it been running for you?

I went from a TBI to carb so I fought wires for a while. Finally got things to cooperate and she fired up. I got the timing set and played with the carb. I've only had it running for a total of about 30 minutes at idle. I discovered my raw water pump was leaking from the seal so I am waiting on the rebuild kit for it. It was sucking air while it was leaking so I wasn't getting a good water flow and didn't want to damage things before I even splashed the boat. I think I will need to play with the carb some more. Trying to set the idle screws but they don't seem as finicky as I remember idle screws being. I can get a couple turns before it even changes the idle.

I'll second the customer service. They were prompt with phone and email and tolerated my thousand questions.

Good luck with yours! It sure is nice looking at the new motor and I can't wait to get on the water.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I went from a TBI to carb so I fought wires for a while. Finally got things to cooperate and she fired up. I got the timing set and played with the carb. I've only had it running for a total of about 30 minutes at idle. I discovered my raw water pump was leaking from the seal so I am waiting on the rebuild kit for it. It was sucking air while it was leaking so I wasn't getting a good water flow and didn't want to damage things before I even splashed the boat. I think I will need to play with the carb some more. Trying to set the idle screws but they don't seem as finicky as I remember idle screws being. I can get a couple turns before it even changes the idle.

I'll second the customer service. They were prompt with phone and email and tolerated my thousand questions.

Good luck with yours! It sure is nice looking at the new motor and I can't wait to get on the water.

Seems like “if it not one thing it’s another” isnt just a clichè. Yeah I wanted to install but I’m scared to mess it up. So I’m having a shop do it in the high desert seems really reasonable price wise. Just waiting to hear what I’m missing once it’s being swapped lol , bound to happen.

But yeah with cars half twist on the carb does wonders . But I’m sure you’ll getter done! Hope to hear updates . I’ll keep posted on the forum. Good or bad. It was such a big purchase with so little personal reviews .no body leaves reviews or post on forums unless they get that hate in their heart lol. So if it goes good and I’m out there hooking the yellows I’ll take time to leave an updat lol. I’m going to make sure I let people know. I Felt like I winged it . but like you said customer service , made me feel most comfortable.

Reactions: Kahouna
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
ONLy issue so far is they are having issues shipping the closed cooling system. I think they were out of stock. So as of now the motor is completely ready to go in. Just waiting on the cooling system and I ordered a new starter. Should be up and running by next weekend

Reactions: bman440440
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
The reason I asked about the engine you are replacing is due to some changes I encountered when I bought a GM 4.3 Marine Vortec replacement...some of the changes from the older motor to the new one were different, even though the motor was stated as an exact replacement for the year I had...the dip stick and oil pan connection was different, the carb spacer, starter motor alignment, the flywheel housing and a few other small things...anyway had to track some of those parts down because michiganmotorz didn't offer them at the time...my point is, get the most complete turn-key engine you can.
These are the issues I’m running into. Just little parts that don’t swap over.throttle bracket. Because the bigger eidelbrock carb

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I had throttle bracket alignment mods too...all the stuff is doable, but can be agitating
Yeah I’m glad I’m not trying to figure it out. The mechanic that’s installing keeps running into the little stuff so it’s taking longer than expected running in areas where he has to order and wait for parts. How’s your motor been running?