karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
As I've been looking for a new to us boat and researching options I've been blown away by how cheap repowering is in south Florida compared to up here in the Bay Area. Are there any Suzuki or Mercury dealers in socal who offer at least somewhat competitive pricing to what's seen in S Florida? As of now, repowering is 25% more expensive up here than back there.

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Buying Anything!!! in the "Bay Area" your going to give both testes and your 1st born Son....Try Specialty Marine in Oxnard 805 984 6538 they do a lot of re powers...I here good things

Also Maurer Marine in Costa Mesa.949 645 7673 some of these re power guys offer "blems" when they have them...If you dont mind a scratch. GL

Last edited:
Reactions: karlk1125

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Look for used outboards. SeaWitch Marine typically always has some for sale.

You're right; boating is typically cheaper on the East Coast. But we don't have to worry about hurricanes either.

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Buying Anything!!! in the "Bay Area" your going to give both testes and your 1st born Son....Try Specialty Marine in Oxnard 805 984 6538 they do a lot of re powers...I here good things

Also Maurer Marine in Costa Mesa.949 645 7673 some of these re power guys offer "blems" when they have them...If you dont mind a scratch. GL
You aren’t lying about that!! I appreciate the recommendations I’ll give them a call!

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
When re-powering my boat a little bit ago I researched hard for over a year, looking into all possible options both new and used. (I originally considered all brands of outboards, but tend to be partial to Mercury products.....so that’s what I ended up deciding to go with.)

In the end & after exhausting all Mercury Marine options/sales/promotions both locally & out of state - it turned out to be MUCH cheaper for me to purchase a brand spankin new pair of 200hp Mercury Verados (quite a bit cheaper than a brand new pair of mechanical Mercury 150hp 4-strokes locally even) from Jaco’s Marine in Tennessee, believe it or not. (Jaco’s is one of the biggest Mercury outboard sellers in the US, and as such, sell their motors with almost no markup and as close to “cost” as you can get. (Trust me, I checked!!) Plus there is no sales tax for motors shipped out of state....which really adds up when spending over $20k. Shipping was only $600-700 total for both brand new motors in crates, so it was well worth it considering the price & sales tax savings.)

All that was needed for obtaining factory warranty from Mercury was to have a certified Mercury installer hang the new motors on my boat. So I had the new motors shipped directly to my closest local Mercury Marine mechanic here in SoCal and had them hang the new Verados on my boat for me so there wouldn’t be any warranty issues. I then did the rigging & electronics installation myself. (Super easy for Verados with Digital Throttle & Shift)

To date I couldn’t be any happier with my Verados and in hindsight wouldn’t do a single thing differently. Zero issues to speak of thus far, after already putting nearly 500 recreational hours on my new outboards in just less than 2 years time.

Hope this info helps with your re-power endeavor in some way, shape, or form!!

-Jeramy

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Jeramy, that was very helpful!!! The new 300v8 Verados are probably at the top of my list! I heard there was trouble getting new engines shipped into California so that’s great to hear!

Reactions: KneppNasty

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
I bought my 2015 250 optimax in texas , and had itshipped to ca. I saved almost 7k, and got the exact motor I wanted. I bought mine at lmc marine in texas.

Reactions: joelgame

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Jeramy, that was very helpful!!! The new 300v8 Verados are probably at the top of my list! I heard there was trouble getting new engines shipped into California so that’s great to hear!
So very glad that my recent experiences could be of any benefit for you!!

To all of my family & close friends I’m well known as “Thee eBay & Craigslist Ninja/Sniper/Guru.” I have scored more insanely good deals on eBay & CL than anybody would possibly even begin to believe.

Back when I was searching for a pair of outboards to replace the old/original Mercury 150HP 2-stroke Saltwater Series motors that came with my boat, I happened across a 1-2 year old barely used very sweet lookin pair of Honda 150HP’s on eBay and was so very close to pulling the trigger on them.

But with the costs of changing all of my controls & steering over to Honda factored into the total cost, I found that I could get a brand new pair of Verados for the same cost as those used Hondas.

Then add in the cost/time savings associated with re-rigging for the Verados with digital throttle & shift (& power steering too) and it was a no-brainer for me. Hard to beat having the reassurance of brand spankin new motors with a factory warranty that ALWAYS fire up perfectly with zero issues every time you turn the keys. 🤞🏼

Then I discovered that the 150HP & 200HP L4 Verados both use the same powerhead and as such have identical weight. Total cost from Jaco’s to step both new motors up to 200HP instead of 150HP was literally only an extra couple hundred dollars, so I jumped on that opportunity as well.

But probably one of the biggest factors that helped me decide on the Verados was the way I could so easily integrate the data from both Mercury motors into the new Simrad electronics I was putting on my boat at the same time as the re-power. Using a multi-engine Vessel View Link interface/module I was able to get rid of the analog gauges on my dash altogether, and have never looked back or regretted that decision even in the slightest.

I ended up learning a ton from that whole re-powering & electronics upgrade process, and I don’t ever mind sharing any info/experiences/expertise I might have gained along the way.
So don’t hesitate to holler at me if I can help provide any info or details to help streamline the process for you, or help you avoid any of the little hiccups I happened to encounter during my endeavor. 👌

Cheers,
Jeramy

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Bought my Suzuki 300 in Florida. Shipped to SoCal for a few hundred. No sales tax. Mounted it myself. Saved $4,000 plus. Full six year warranty. Started first try. Hell yes. And I know it was done right cuz I did it myself.

Reactions: KneppNasty

BrianS

Boatswain's Mate
Mar 23, 2014
Ca
Name
Brian
Boat
Stringari
Bought my Suzuki 300 in Florida. Shipped to SoCal for a few hundred. No sales tax. Mounted it myself. Saved $4,000 plus. Full six year warranty. Started first try. Hell yes. And I know it was done right cuz I did it myself.
When did you buy yours? Another member her on BD did the same thing a couple of years ago or so and gave me the contact info for the place down in the Keys where he had his shipped from. I called them and they told me Suzuki put the kabosh on shipping motors to a private party within a certain distance of "local" dealer. I then checked several other dealers in Florida with the same story. I have a Suzuki dealer about 20 miles away from me so I was screwed.

I get it that Suzuki is trying to protect their dealers but forcing me to pay 4k higher really pissed me off at Suzuki. I will end up buying a Yamaha just because of that.

When it comes to boating you are right the Bay Area is a wasteland and the guys that do work up here are ripoff artists. When I needed the new tank for my Stringari I priced it out at 3 different places up here and the cheapest was $2500 and the highest $5000 for an 85gal tank. Vince at American Tanks in SD built one for $1100.

baaadlybent

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Timing was Fall 2018. They were happy to do it with a few qualifiers. First, I had to go there in person to sign papers. No problem cuz I was flying there with gf to visit her dad anyways. And it only costs a few hundred to fly back and forth. Second, I used her dad's address in Florida for the documentation and a couple months later contacted Suzuki to change my address cuz I moved to SoCal :-). So, as far as corporate knew, I was a Florida local.

I initially had the same experience as you contacting other dealers in Florida about shipping it directly to SoCal and doing it online. But I also heard from several that there was a shortage of the 300s at the time, maybe due to the hurricane a few months before, and I think they were reserving them for their local customers. When I found a dealer who was willing to talk, I told him I would be in town that weekend and let's make this happen. So we talked through the process and the dealer prepped the outboard and hooked up all the electronics and activated the warranty so it was plug and play for me. Seriously, I mounted the outboard, added oil, connected the battery cables and fuel line, pressed the start button and it immediately fired up.

I've already spoken to them about buying a 115 for my Bayrunner in Baja and they are ready when I am. It was a very positive experience. And I learned Florida is AWESOME for a fisherman. The Bajamas are a couple hours offshore. A COUPLE HOURS! The salesman I bought from was a California transplant who bought a home there with a dock in his backyard that leads straight to the harbor and he's offshore in no time at all. For a couple hundred grand. Amazing. I LOVE Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: airslot and BrianS