silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
After reconsidering all my options, I ordered a mercruiser long block from Troy at AquaTech Marine here in Bremerton today, be here Tues or Wed. All Merc parts including oil pump, oil pan, water pump, rear seal, timing cover and valve covers installed, all of which I was going to replace anyway, for 3k. Merc pre runs their remans and already has oil and filter installed.

Today I disconnected most of the interference, fuel line, throttle and shift cables, alternator, exhaust boots and wiring harness. Tomorrow the starter cables, hydraulic steering hoses and engine mounts before lifting it out. Praying for a little less rain on Sunday.
you are brave I wont even buy a quart of oil from aqua tech! good luck I would imagine if you are doing the work yourself there shouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't give them my money.

Reactions: POPEYE-SCOTT

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Dave Aka Happy Daze Johnson at Kitsap Marine helped us buy a Mercruiser for Danny's Boat that he uses to take Wounded Warriors out fishing.

Reactions: Rpcole

veteransfishing

Get in the groove and RELAX!!!
Nov 18, 2013
Olympia, Wa
Name
Danny Gabriel
Boat
Slippery Finn/Lisa M
Dave Aka Happy Daze Johnson at Kitsap Marine helped us buy a Mercruiser for Danny's Boat that he uses to take Wounded Warriors out fishing.
Dave @ Kitsap Marine is the man to see if ya want to get a bobtail to drop in from Mercruiser. I am very happy with engine, it has more power than the old 5.7. I went this way do to the cost of replacing all the other little things that are mounted on the engine. I have more than 200 Hrs. on this engine and it still purrs like a kitten. I actually get better fuel consumption than old "V" belt engine.

The Peddler

You should have been here yesterday!
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
You don't see many radial arm saws these days.
For good reason!! I sliding/compound mitre saw and a table saw are way more efficient.

My dad had a big radial arm saw when I was growing up. It was a good one, but he used to curse the thing. I tried to take a finger off with it one time, ripping a board.

Back to the repower thread. Sorry.

Reactions: goatram

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
Took a couple of days off to spend the requisite amount of "family time" before retreating back into the guy-rage. Finished stipping down the old block and it's ready to be returned for core deposit. Refurbished, painted and installed the damper on the new engine.
P_20151228_173234.jpg

Contacted Les's Radiator Repair (Seabeck) today and will drop off the heat exchanger tomorrow for a flush and pressure test.

P_20151228_173259.jpg

Sand blasted, primed and painted 10 brackets and dip stick tube.

P_20151228_173157.jpg

Bunch of new parts ordered and should start arriving Tuesday. Starter, alternator, all the pressure/temp sensors, etc.

Last edited:

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
A little Purple Power, some touch up paint, waiting on intake manifold gaskets to reinstall.
P_20151229_171227.jpg
P_20151231_180755.jpg

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
P_20160102_120922.jpg

Wire brushed, painted and replaced the pulley on the power sreeing pump today. Merc came out with a service bulletin changing the old style plastic pulley to a larger metal one which also changed the length of the belt I wanted to replace.

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
Hey Russ, the hour meter was just over 2200 hours. She still ran, but was making some loud chatter under the hood. I never did see anything obvious after I opened her up. I was kinda expecting to find something loose or broken, but not so.

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
P_20160102_195700.jpg

Intake gaskets arrived today. After doing a little on-line reading I decided to order new intake manifold bolts so the intake will have to wait another few days.

P_20160102_195748.jpg

When I removed the power steering pump, I noticed one of the mounting holes had sheared off. Hard to explain, but one of the tabs had a clean fracture and completely broken off from the rest of the bracket. A little welding, grinding, wire brushing, primer and paint, she's good as new. It's hanging by the bolt hole that was broken off.

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
I know it seems like it's slow going, but what you don't see is the scrubbing, wire brushing and painting of every nut, bolt and washer which I didn't buy new. I'm also doing this in my spare time, so only an hour or two per day.

fishchasr

Jun 1, 2009
Bremerton, WA
Name
Greg
Boat
Hey Blake, yes. As soon as it warms up some, I plan to pull the exhaust Y pipe and the Gimbal out of the transom, refurbish those parts and reinstall. The bilge will get a good scrubbing and a new coat of epoxy paint. Then two new bilge pumps and a new non-collapsable ventilation hose before dropping the motor back in. Of course I'll have to replace everything that even hints as being marginal, wires, cables, etc.

If anyone happens to have a Quicksilver Alignment Tool (part #91-805475A1) that I could borrow, I'd very much appreciate it. Otherwise I'll pick up a used one off of Ebay and resell it when I'm done.

Buzz2401

Boat HO
Jun 29, 2009
Shelton, Wa USA
Name
Russ
Boat
glass
That big fuse thing next to your starter gave me quite a bit of a headache. Boat wouldn't turn over the night before Westport Halibut opener. I ended up bypassing it that night and later on at home just removed it. It had corroded and just fell apart.