Repower for Reelaxation

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by fishchasr, Dec 9, 2015.

1. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
    It's time to repower my '98 Trophy. I've looked at several options and decided the most economical fix is to get a remanufactured long block. Anyone have experience with anyone local, good or bad? Engine is a 4.3 liter V6.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    jasper engines probably has the best reman engines and warranty that I have found, although theyre not cheap. You get what you pay for when it comes to reman anything.

3. Soremouth'r

Soremouth'r Member

Name:
    Blake
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth Offshore "Bad Influence"
  4. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Bracket and an outboard?

The Michiganmotorz site is the best I had seen when looking at options for the 3.0Mercruiser I had a while back...

FishBoy82 likes this.
  5. Deviant

Deviant I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
    Give these guys a call and see what they can do for you.
    Had them build an engine for a Toyota truck and was pretty satisfied with the results.
    http://www.oregonengines.net/

6. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    For shits and grins, you might give Tanglewild Marine in Lacy a call. He replaced a 5.7L MerCruiser in a friends boat for less than I thought was possible, including labor.

blackelk likes this.
  7. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Thank guys, all good ideas. I put new exhaust manifolds on last year ($1700). Looking at US Marine Engines out of Kent, $1995.00, 5 year 500 hour warranty. I can pick it up and save $200 shipping. Only saw one bad report about them from several years ago. I'll check out the others you guys recommended.

Outdrive is already off. Planning on pulling the engine this Sunday. I also have a good (used) gimbal to swap out.

8. Genie Aye

Genie Aye FISH BOSS

Name:
    Cap't Paul
    Boat:
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
    RUN THE OTHER WAY, you will have issues with their junk. Not if you have a issue, but when.
    Ask for a copy of their warranty, makes for a Great Comedy read. They are not responsible for anything.
    This guy has been building crap engines for 26 yrs that I know of and several name changes to avoid law suits.

Just hope you do not go with US.

9. FINATIC 21

FINATIC 21 MAD SALMON

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse

Gotta agree with this , boss had a motor put in for his 26 Osprey , motor don't make it 90 hours and they laughed at him , the one time they would return his call , it's still sitting on a stand in his garage .

I have personally never had any dealings with Tanglewild , but he had them put a replacement in after all the problems with US, Tanglewild did do a nice clean job and he hasn't had any issues since ..... 340 hours on the motor since the. ..! Just sayin

The Peddler likes this.
  10. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    I bought the mercruiser bobtail and it works great. Tanglewild marine is the only place I let work on my boat now. the bobtail comes with new manifolds, carb, waterpump, alt, starter, motor mounts, coupler and flywheel,wiring harness and dist. everything new.

11. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Harry at Tanglewild takes care of anything I can't.

12. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Good to know - that's why I asked the question here!

13. easydoesit86

easydoesit86 nubbie

Name:
    maarten
    Boat:
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    Harry at Tanglewilde is quite the character, but he's the only guy I'd let work on my boat. I think if you could rebuild you own motor, you'd get a better engine than any off the shelf rebuild. I had Johnson Machine rebuild my short block with quality parts and I stuck brand new heads on. It just seems to me all the remans I see have nothing but problems. I guess it all depends how long you wanna keep your boat. I also wanted to build all the power I could out of my motor too:rockin:

blackelk likes this.
  14. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Paul speaks the truth. I've spoken with several people who've dealt with these clowns and every one ended up badly. When I re-powered my Glasply, I was seriously considering them. Fortunately, I asked some questions and did some research before pulling the trigger and the stories came out of the woodwork.
    If you've got Mercruiser, you might give Greg at Tacoma Marine a call. And see what he can offer.

Genie Aye, fishchasr and Deviant like this.
  15. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    After reconsidering all my options, I ordered a mercruiser long block from Troy at AquaTech Marine here in Bremerton today, be here Tues or Wed. All Merc parts including oil pump, oil pan, water pump, rear seal, timing cover and valve covers installed, all of which I was going to replace anyway, for 3k. Merc pre runs their remans and already has oil and filter installed.

Today I disconnected most of the interference, fuel line, throttle and shift cables, alternator, exhaust boots and wiring harness. Tomorrow the starter cables, hydraulic steering hoses and engine mounts before lifting it out. Praying for a little less rain on Sunday.

POPEYE-SCOTT and Elkfins like this.
  16. FishBoy82

FishBoy82 Fish Killer

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    23' Olympic
    I'm "dealing" with their BS warranty now. Said I crossed two spark plug wires and that caused a blown Head gasket and detonated a piston..

This is after 10 hours.

Different cylinder

AL the valves are tuliped and leak. Engine needs a complete rebuild after 10 hours. Never got over 190 degrees. Followed their instructions to a tee. Even have video proof. $2600 and this is the responses I get :

Your wire were crossed, there is no water leaking into the cylinders. You us the head so we can see this crack and check for leakage.

We know for 13 hours your engine ran perfect, if there was a crack that engine would not run. aluminum on your spark plug and starting to lose power is a perfect sign of a broken piston.

I was going to give you free parts I will not now I do not like those who make up lies.

And if you filed a complaint with a board on line then I owe you because Google search engine and others do not know the difference from good information or bad. The more our name is in the internet the better chance we have to be on the first page. We are on the first page with all search engines I have 50 plus websites.

Google 350 marine engines Google has three of my websites on the first page. There different web addresses 350 marine engines .com and several others. Telling me there a crack is just a lie since your engine was checked and your piston is broken because you got two wires on wrong.

Make sure your replacement piston is the same weight and same compression, if not your engine will shake but you know that you built lots of engines.

Thank you for the web help.

RUN FROM THEM, DO NOT WALK.

POPEYE-SCOTT likes this.
  17. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Wow, that really sucks. I'm grateful for the warnings from the Brotherhood. That's exactly why I posed the question on here before finishing the deal. I hope you can get some resolution or compensation.

18. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Sunday's engine pull.
    P_20151213_114826.jpg

Little help from my friends
    P_20151213_115209.jpg

Beer and shots for good day's work

P_20151213_131447.jpg

POPEYE-SCOTT likes this.
  19. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Exhaust manifolds removed, all hoses and wires labeled for future reference.
    P_20151214_203610.jpg

Running ut of counter space ppretty quickly
    P_20151214_203710.jpg

Ready to remove wiring harness tomorrow

POPEYE-SCOTT likes this.
  20. Rellis

Rellis Boss

Name:
    Ray Ellis
    Boat:
    21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
    There you go, the air filter as you beer and whiskey table.
    :appl: