Repower and Used Outboards

IronYakAngler

May 27, 2017
Ventura
Name
Alexander Bradley
Boat
chris craft scorpion
Hey guys so I bought a 84 Chris Craft scorpion wa 215 last year for cheap and need to repower it and was going through the changes to switch it to outboard my main question is does anyone have good or bad experiences buying used outboards? I found a good price and good compression and looking 225 verado out of state at a marine shop and was wondering if it just a bad idea or if this can be a good way to go? Any advice would be great! TIA

Reactions: repo805

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    It's all about if you know the right questions to ask and if and how quick the seller answers with the right answers.

I have had conversations with sellers and after 5 minutes of talking to the I would never buy anything from them. I also purchased twin F300's from a guy in Texas sight unseen and sent someone with over $20K in cash to go buy them..

Last edited:
    Reactions: rancanfish

boxturtle

Mar 14, 2011
    santa ana, ca.
    Name
    turtle
    Boat
    still waiting for my shell
    would you buy a used car online? unless you have someone that has expertise over there to check it out for you. Other thing to look at if it is from a well known shop is there any gurantees and warranties? who pay for shipping if you send it back. Things like that should always be in writing. For me personally I would stay away from buying anything too complex online. Look at all the threads of people getting all bent over a use reel.

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    Questions to ask:

How many hours (obvious)
    Reason for repowering
    Maintenance done, how often, and any records
    Who did the work
    Anything fixed about the motor in its life

Things to check:

Corrosion on head, pan, lower unit
    Pull and check anodes
    Compression Check
    Check spark plugs (can tell you alot about how a motor runs)
    Go in and out of gear, make sure it engages properly
    Put in gear (motor off) and try to spin the prop
    Crack lower unit to check oil color
    Crack motor oil drain to check for water (water will come out first since it's heavier than oil)

I would not, and have not, hesitate to buy a used outboard. Like @Papa "J" stated, you can tell quickly based on who you're talking to. My most current motors I bought were 2 Honda BF150s and although I never got to see them run, the owner was completely transparent and let me do whatever I wanted to them to ensure they were good to go. His words were "I don't care if you completely pull them apart as long as you put them back together before you leave". So I was completely confident in them. If a seller doesn't let you perform any of the above, walk away.

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    That "someone" knows his shit and would have canceled the transaction if he thought there was anything fish when he got there.

Yes true but I have also purchased motors that have been shipped. The deal I got on the F300 was a cash deal or they would have been shipped without sending the "someone" to go pick them up. Also that "someone" has also purchased motors without "seeing them in person"

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Hey guys so I bought a 84 Chris Craft scorpion wa 215 last year for cheap and need to repower it and was going through the changes to switch it to outboard my main question is does anyone have good or bad experiences buying used outboards? I found a good price and good compression and looking 225 verado out of state at a marine shop and was wondering if it just a bad idea or if this can be a good way to go? Any advice would be great! TIA

Reach out to TOM FAB online if you are in Socal. Good guy and gets good used motors on trade in. He installed my F225 and couldnt be happier.

Reactions: IronYakAngler