Repower 19ft aluminum

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
I have an 1984 sea nymph 19ft aluminum boat. I have had alot of issues with the motor since day 1 and am considering a repower. It is currently at a mechanic who is wanting to do alot of testing to see what is going on with it.. (again).I am a bit tired of dumping money into an unreliable smokey old 2 stroke so he offered me a trade plus cash (obviously) for a 2000 evinrude 70hp 4stroke. My current motor is a 1984 115hp evinrude 2 stroke. It is more motor than that boat needs for sure, but I am a bit worried about the 70hp being underpowered.. anybody have any suggestions or experience with aluminum boats of similar size and what hp worked best? I was told the boat alone weighs right at 1,000lbs but I'm not certain. I would feel much more comfortable with a 90hp as im sure that would be sufficient. if anybody has a 90 for sale or has any suggestions I would appreciate the help!
20200220_095100.jpg
20200220_095100.jpg
20200328_171610.jpg
20190729_130429.jpg

Upvote 0

Fred's

May 2, 2007
sf bay area
Name
Graz
Boat
21 trophy
Mine’s 1,400 pounds empty. 17.4ft, 92 inch wide. Probably close to 1,800lbs equipment and 15gal gas, I have a 2018 100hp Honda and love it
Single I can do about 40mph, before I had a 70hp and got about 32mph, but very slow to plane. The hole shot is incredibly better, incredible difference

Reactions: Danthefishman
Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Evinrude 90, right now they offer 7 year warranty and you can use your old gauges. They are nothing like a old 2 stroke. They are fuel injected ,no smoke, and fuel efficient. These are a bullet proof motors.
I stand corrected there is no promotions at this time. There will be new ones shortly.
This vid is the pontoon series but it show many of the same features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
if your going used Evinrude, do your homework. Look for 07 or newer. Get away from carbs.
I have an OE oil tank if you need one.

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Evinrude 90, right now they offer 7 year warranty and you can use your old gauges. They are nothing like a old 2 stroke. They are fuel injected ,no smoke, and fuel efficient. These are a bullet proof motors.
I stand corrected there is no promotions at this time. There will be new ones shortly.
This vid is the pontoon series but it show many of the same features.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I am too damn cheap to buy anything new..
if your going used Evinrude, do your homework. Look for 07 or newer. Get away from carbs.
I have an OE oil tank if you need one.
I appreciate the offer and info on the motor. That is something I will look into. Do you dislike the carbs because of the maintenance that comes with them? Or fuel efficiency?

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Carbureted engines are not fuel efficient. With fi they are computer controlled. The difference s night and day. There is no choking or stumbling. Hot or cold they are just intune all the time. They perform just like your truck or car. Instant start no smoke, quiet and fuel efficient. You will think why didn’t I do this sooner.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Depending on your budget and horse power you need it might take you a little time to find a good used motor.

Those older OMC/Johnson/Evinrudes were at times touchy motors

If you don't need a low emission motor that gives you more options,

There are very few if any carb'd motors sold in California over the last 20 years, fyi

I would look for a good used 2 stroke Yamaha, if you can find one. Not many come up for sale and there is a reason for that

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Kid, can you expound on that last sentence? I have the 150 hp "smoker" Yamaha and every time I think I need the 4 stroke as we all know has 40% more range, more quiet, no smoke!!! I think of what an old friend told me..."Paul, you can buy a lot of gas and still be way ahead" without re powering. ??? That was years ago! I'm still putting gas in it. I must have Inhaled the Smoke? to much?

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
FYI 2000 Evinrude 70hp four stroke is fuel injected not carbed . The motor is actually a rebadged Suzuki DF70. I ran one on my 18’ Sylvan that I used in the lakes a bay. Actually had decent top speed for a boat rated at 140hp. The downside is those motors DF 60 and DF70 had problems with the water jacket on the head that would allow water into number 4 cylinder. You can find all kinds of parts for those motors except heads... Do a search on them before you decide

Attachments

• 7F1A056D-AC7A-4015-853B-F0EA48C473CF.jpeg
    7F1A056D-AC7A-4015-853B-F0EA48C473CF.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
Kid, can you expound on that last sentence? I have the 150 hp "smoker" Yamaha and every time I think I need the 4 stroke as we all know has 40% more range, more quiet, no smoke!!! I think of what an old friend told me..."Paul, you can buy a lot of gas and still be way ahead" without re powering. ??? That was years ago! I'm still putting gas in it. I must have Inhaled the Smoke? to much?
So Paul, the OP has a older aluminum boat with a old OMC Jonerude V4. None of us know how much he uses the boat, where he uses the boat or his budget.

The easy thing for most of us is to just say, throw on a new motor, easy peazy.

But, maybe the OP only fishes SD Bay and only twice a month, maybe 12 times a year, does his boat really need a $8k to $10k new engine? If he only fishes the bay should he also get dual 16" Simrad screens too?

I am a Yamaha fan base on the fact that MY MOTOR has been incredible for 20 years, I have never been towed in. That is the reason I suggested the OP look for a used Yamaha

As far as the fuel savings, on my Mako I have a 2000 Yamaha OX66. My last trip out to Catalina I burned $80 in fuel and maybe $15 min two stroke oil, lets call it a even $100.

If I saved $40 a trip in fuel cost how long would it take me pay off a $20,000 new 4 stroke?

I love my OX 66, it is simple to tune and easy to maintain, I wont repower until it blows up or I wear it our.

I did buy a back up 225hp OX 66 from a BD member a few months ago that I will either swap out soon, keep for insurance or sell it with my boat

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
So Paul, the OP has a older aluminum boat with a old OMC Jonerude V4. None of us know how much he uses the boat, where he uses the boat or his budget.

The easy thing for most of us is to just say, throw on a new motor, easy peazy.

But, maybe the OP only fishes SD Bay and only twice a month, maybe 12 times a year, does his boat really need a $8k to $10k new engine? If he only fishes the bay should he also get dual 16" Simrad screens too?

I am a Yamaha fan base on the fact that MY MOTOR has been incredible for 20 years, I have never been towed in. That is the reason I suggested the OP look for a used Yamaha

As far as the fuel savings, on my Mako I have a 2000 Yamaha OX66. My last trip out to Catalina I burned $80 in fuel and maybe $15 min two stroke oil, lets call it a even $100.

If I saved $40 a trip in fuel cost how long would it take me pay off a $20,000 new 4 stroke?

I love my OX 66, it is simple to tune and easy to maintain, I wont repower until it blows up or I wear it our.

I did buy a back up 225hp OX 66 from a BD member a few months ago that I will either swap out soon, keep for insurance or sell it with my boat
You are just about dead on with how often it will be used and where. It is usually myself, my 5 year old, a friend and his kid under 10. fishing bait or throwing jigs in San Diego bay. occasionally we will hit the local lakes to relax. My budget is 4k max due to the fact that I dont tend to keep anything for long, and will most likely upgrade boats in a year or 2. It is a great platform for what we use it for. I'm open to 2 or 4 strokes, really reliability is most key. speed is not much of a concern, but I also dont want it to work its ass off to plane. thanks everyone for the responses. I'm in no hurry due to the fact that I cant fish anyway, so keep the info and or links to motors coming!

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
FYI 2000 Evinrude 70hp four stroke is fuel injected not carbed . The motor is actually a rebadged Suzuki DF70. I ran one on my 18’ Sylvan that I used in the lakes a bay. Actually had decent top speed for a boat rated at 140hp. The downside is those motors DF 60 and DF70 had problems with the water jacket on the head that would allow water into number 4 cylinder. You can find all kinds of parts for those motors except heads... Do a search on them before you decide
This boat is almost identical to the sylvan that you had. everytime I look up the sea nymph, sylvans come up too. mine is just a foot bigger, but still a very light boat. Was the 70 sufficient for what you used it for? I know it's always better to have more HP but there's comes more cost with that as well. How many did you normally fish? fuel consumption? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
just fix it & roll with it...
Dont polish the turd, keep the funds in your account...

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
just fix it & roll with it...
Dont polish the turd, keep the funds in your account...
It's been a constant flow of funds thrown at this motor. the guy I bought it from used components from a bunch of different years. Ive been able to keep it limping along, but in the off season doing maintenance the trim motor quit, the lower unit is full of water, and it's still a complete bitch to start. I've had it to a couple different guys and I just feel it's time to throw in the towel. The more we dig into it, the more crap I find. what better way to stimulate the economy than spend it on another motor!

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
It's been a constant flow of funds thrown at this motor. the guy I bought it from used components from a bunch of different years. Ive been able to keep it limping along, but in the off season doing maintenance the trim motor quit, the lower unit is full of water, and it's still a complete bitch to start. I've had it to a couple different guys and I just feel it's time to throw in the towel. The more we dig into it, the more crap I find. what better way to stimulate the economy than spend it on another motor!

Unfortunately, the down side is parts for the old OMCs are at times tougher to find

Of all the outboards I have owned, my 85 115 Johnson was the most problematic

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
70 for that boat is fine unless your are planning on 5.. 200# people or water skiing

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
This boat is almost identical to the sylvan that you had. everytime I look up the sea nymph, sylvans come up too. mine is just a foot bigger, but still a very light boat. Was the 70 sufficient for what you used it for? I know it's always better to have more HP but there's comes more cost with that as well. How many did you normally fish? fuel consumption? Thanks!

I usually fished two and hooping with three, Over 4 miles to the gallon cruising around 25mph. I eventually got rid of the motor because of the head problem and now have a Mercury 70hp on her

Upvote 0