tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just returned from the annual PENN Fishing University 8-day excursion aboard the American Angler with Captain Ray Lopez at the helm.
Will post a short recap for now, and hopefully some additional reports and photos will go up from anglers who were also aboard.
The first few days we went south along the Baja coastline toward San Pablo Bay, and encountered very good action on 12-25 pound yellowtail that were hitting a variety of presentations, including yo-yo iron, dropper loop, flylined baits, and surface iron. Plenty of bonito and barracuda were mixed in along with sand bass, calico bass, and sheephead on deeper baits.
Wahoo reports from down south were minimal, so we opted to head north, and located a kelp that was loaded with dorado, and it was predicable mayhem. Easy limits reached in a short time, and then we kept heading north.
The next few days saw the American Angler trying the local tuna spots, including Cortez Bank and Osborne Bank, with tuna all around, but not necessarily biting all the time.
Flying Fish under the kite accounted for some big bluefin, including a 265 pound whopper.
Working hard, flylined sardines on 40-pound tackle got some beautiful grade yellowfin tuna from 50-80 pounds during the daylight hours, and some 80-100 pound bluefin hit fall-type jigs just after dark and just before dawn in variable weather.
Our final day was spent in perfect weather, picking away at fairly picky 30-45 pound bluefin [and one shark-bit yellowfin], but a hot bait and persistence got us to a respectable total for the day.
As always, the crew and galley team of the AA were outstanding.

Anyone with interest, please follow the link to the PENN Fishing University Facebook page, and give it a "Like" and "Follow":

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The ever-enthusiastic Gordon Profft with his kite-caught monster; a 265-pound bluefin tuna.

Gordon 265 RESIZED.JPG

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Gordo is one of the nicest and most helpful anglers out there. Wonderful to see that all his good karma paid off!

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Randy Koenig is getting a Gyotaku print done of this 105-pounder done by noted artist Peter Jang.

Randy kite1 RESIZED.JPG

Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0