tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just got back, others may also decide to chime in.
Not a PFU, but I was out field-testing some stuff for the upcoming ICAST show.
We spend the entire time in the "parking lot" off Ensenada; anywhere from 20 to 50 boats around us.
The 24-hour fishing cycle is brutal; you either have to stay up, or be ready to launch yourself out of bed at any time.
Very wide range of fish sizes; we had bluefin from 20-181 pounds [gill & gut weight], and managed just a couple short of .limits for 22 people. A nice percentage of the fish were over 100-pounds. Also a handful of 5-15 pound yellowtail from under a paddy.
Best bet was 200-300 gr. fall-type jigs during the night-time, and 100-150 gr. dart-type jigs during the daytime. Green and/or glow variations were the hot color, but also some bites on chartreuse, Katy Perry, and pink.
During the in-between grey periods, sinker-rigged baits were very productive.
A couple of times, some 20-35 pounders boiled up and were catchable on flylined baits with lighter gear.
Other than when obviously smaller fish were around, the wise angler would be using nothing smaller than 60-80 pound gear, and the Vagabond's loaner gear is Fathom 40N's, which accounted for numerous catches.
Interestingly, more than half of the jig bites came on the retrieve, after a LONG sink down 300 feet or more.
Captain Cameron ran the trip, the food was excellent, and the crew of the Vagabond exemplary as always.
Will post up some photos later, including closeups of jigs that worked for me.

Last edited:

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    cant wait thank you in advance!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    With the fish often biting the jigs "on the retrieve", heavy Owner ST66 trebles were the most successful.
    These are the jigs that caught fish for me on this trip:
    Top to bottom:
    Jigpara 250 gr.
    Williamson Kensaki 170gr.
    Williamson Kensaki 170 gr.
    Williamson Gomame 100gr.
    Tady TLC [14 pound yellowtail under a paddy]

RESIZED Jigs June 7.JPG

Upvote 0

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat
    Anything that floats
    Can you talk about the leaders you used for the jigs-also, we’re you straight tying smaller jigs to mono/floro mainline? That schoolie tuna looks like it must have been a blast on that 20# set up. Fthm 15? Thx Steve. Tommy

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Can you talk about the leaders you used for the jigs-also, we’re you straight tying smaller jigs to mono/floro mainline? That schoolie tuna looks like it must have been a blast on that 20# set up. Fthm 15? Thx Steve. Tommy

On the 80 pound gear and up, I use a 4-foot crimped leader of 200-pound fluoro.
    On the 60-pound gear, a 4-foot crimped 125 pound fluoro leader.
    On 50 pound gear and lower, I go with a 5 foot fluoro leader, and just attach to the mainline with a 4-turn Surgeon's Knot
    With 50-pound tackle, the leader is usually 80-pound.
    With 40-pound tackle, it can be 50 or 60 pound fluoro.
    If tuna over 75 pounds are not present, I usually go without a leader.

Upvote 0