Report Tagged Lobsters

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by BigJoe, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    26', Striper, Wage Burner
    Lobster season is about to open and we need to help in gathering data about lobster movement. Will lobster really "spillover" as advertised and how far do the really move? Little is know about these lobster habits so this is our chance to help in gathering some important information to inform the scientists. Here is some information I received from San Diego Oceans Foundation who is working with commercial lobster fishermen to tag lobsters to study their movement patterns:

In September 2011, about 5,000 California spiny lobsters were tagged off the coasts of Laguna, Point Loma, and La Jolla in waters scheduled to become marine protected areas. This is the first stage in a three year project that is funded by California Sea Grant to monitor the movements of the lobster. Legals and shorts were tagged.

If a tagged lobster is caught, fisherman should record the location (GPS coordinates or site description) and the tag number. Later they can enter the information at our website www.taggedlobster.com or call our office at 619-523-1903 and leave a message. Do not remove the tag from the lobster (unless of course it is a legal that you are keeping it). In April 2012 tagging and recapture efforts will continue. Our project milestones will be available to the public on the website.

This is our chance to help get information to scientists on this important fishery. Here is a pic of a tagged lobster
    taggedlobster.jpg

2. rojodiablo

rojodiablo Dive club flunkie

Name:
    Paul Romanowski
    Boat:
    Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
    Thanks for the heads up Joe!!

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Great info, thanks for the heads up Joe.

Apparently, California Sea Grant knows something or someone that we don't know:

"In September 2011, about 5,000 California spiny lobsters were tagged off the coasts of Laguna, Point Loma, and La Jolla in waters scheduled to become marine protected areas."

4. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    wow i am not too sure about this deal, kinda sucks. possible close areas, they find out its good fishing grounds and closed.

5. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    From the article with my comments in []
    "[Dave] Rudie [owner of Catalina offshore products and friend to the fisherman] is president of the San Diego Oceans Foundation’s board of directors. The Foundation received a grant from Sea Grant and will work with lobster fishermen and scientists to monitor the marine protected areas, whenever they are finally established and put into law.

Rudie wants commercial lobstermen and recreational anglers who target lobsters by diving or hoop netting to know that there is a lobster tagging study going on.

“I want to get the word out about the lobster tagging research the fishermen will be working on with the scientists and DFG biologists,” Rudie said. “The San Diego Oceans Foundation will be the contact point if sport fishermen find any legal-sized, tagged lobsters.

Rudie said the California Lobster and Trap Fisherman’s Association will be represented at the meeting. And Tommy Gomes will supply fish tacos and beverages to those who attend.

For more information about the tagging project or the special meeting, contact Rudie at (619) 297-9797."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/12/lobster-season-horizon-lobstermen-invited-open-hou/

6. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    FYI Most of the tagged lobsters were sub-legal sized lobster. This study will be ongoing for 3 years so they will eventualy be legal. We can help gather needed information on lobster movements by reporting the tags we find. Please do not remove them from sub-legal sized lobster you should have a pen/pencil available to write down the tag number as you already have one to fill in your report card :D

7. Bizzy

Bizzy Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    25 Parker
    I was a little skeptical when I first saw this, but seeing in the posts that Tommy is involved tells me it is ok to do it if I run across them. And I'm pretty sure alot of other people think its another data collection that will restrict where we can hoop. I think a "Tommy Gomes Approved" would get others to help with the data collection. I know there are alot of lurkers that have alot of respect and trust in what he does. :notworthy

8. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    i will do my part to help!

9. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles

10. M/V Santa Rosa

M/V Santa Rosa Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    20 foot bayrunner
    Fellas, As best I can I give this project a 100% backing. Watched it from the start and for those that know me and Dave Rudie, you know Dave is stand up guy. We both fought in the MLPA and did what we could, this is just another way to help save what we can.. PLease if you catch a tagged lobster, help us out..

Tommy

11. Cartero

Cartero Team Fish Seeker

Name:
    Eric the Mailman
    Boat:
    Kencraft Challenger 206 CC
    Joe, is the www.taggedlobster.com hyperlink good? It keeps taking me back to BD.

Edit: Never mind I clicked on the one in my post and it took me there. Thanks.

12. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    So i guess this means that corporate interests will or have co-opted the study and will give data in favor of shutting down Lobster fishing in 3 years. How bout they are the cockroaches of the sea floor, been here for eons, and will always be. Tagged 5,000 lobsters, what a huge waste of time and money.

13. DavePloessel

DavePloessel Overinflated Peacock

Name:
    Dave P
    Boat:
    nope
    Tommy, do you still back this program?

14. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    What happens when the lobsters molt?

15. outboardking

outboardking Newbie

Name:
    Fernando
    Boat:
    28 amato pilothouse
    thats what i was wondering too would the tag stay on???

16. BigJoe

BigJoe No fish in O'side

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    The tags are placed where they should last through 3 or 4 molts before they are lost.

I understand this tagging program has gathered data on when lobsters start to reproduce and at what size. The findings appear to be sooner than what was previously thought which is actually good news as they have more reproduction time before they reach legal size.