I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just got home, so will keep this short.
Will add photos later, and hopefully others aboard will chime in with their own stories and photos.
Arrived at Guadalupe mid-day, chased schools of black porpoise, and picked away at the yellowfin.
Windy conditions made anchoring up a better option, and we remained at anchor for the majority of the trip, though the wind also made for a challenge.
Size range of the tuna ranged from 40-100 pounds, with the majority in the 50-80 pound category.
No sharks at all, but the sea lions were at times getting a good percentage of the baits.
Best tackle for bites was 15-20 foot mono topshots plus 40-pound fluorocarbon, though some anglers were successful with just 15-20 feet of fluorocarbon, and others did well 25 yards of mono plus 5 feet of fluoro. At times the fish would bite 50-pound fluoro, but as usual lighter was better.
The fish were definitely sensitive to hook size, with a size 1 Owner Mutu standard, with many anglers going to even smaller size 2 or 4 Mutus, and a few even to size 2 J-hooks. I even got an 84-pounder on a tiny size 4 Owner Gorilla J-hook.
Of course such small hooks did pull out with frequency, and some anglers defied the odds and did well with 1/0 or 2/0 hooks.
A few tuna were hooked on small dart-type jigs, but only one was actually landed due to the small hooks, also only one was caught on a surface stickbait, and only one on a fall-type jig right at sunset.
No yellowtail at all.
Each day's success varied, from a low of 7 fish to a high of 65 fish per day, totaling 127 tuna for the trip.
The anglers worked very well together, and as always the crew of the Shogun was exemplary, and saved a number of fish that had gotten on the anchor rope or in the rudder.

Anyone with interest, pleas follow the link to the PENN Fishing University Facebook page, and give it a "Like" and "Follow".
https://www.facebook.com/pennfishinguniversity/

Last edited:

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Veteran angler Ying Lee shows off a nice Guadalupe yellowfin taken on the Shogun's PENN fishing University 7-day trip.

Ying tuna 1.JPG

jerryl

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
Here are the daily totals:
Day 1 - Ensenada
Day 2 - 7 YFT
Day 3 - 21 YFT
Day 4 - 65 YFT
Day 5 - 27 YFT
Day 6 - 7 YFT

Kite probably accounted for around 12 of the YFT.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Here are the daily totals:
Day 1 - Ensenada
Day 2 - 7 YFT
Day 3 - 21 YFT
Day 4 - 65 YFT
Day 5 - 27 YFT
Day 6 - 7 YFT

Kite probably accounted for around 12 of the YFT.

Jerry,
Congrats on the great fish you also caught on this trip!

Jerry tuna 1.JPG

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Steen rail shot.JPG
Angler Steen Henriksen gets a gaffing assist from Shogun crewmen Conor Shanahan and Tyler Rich on another nice tuna caught on a PENN Torque TRQ15XNLD2.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
It was a fun trip and a good group of passengers. Some very good anglers on the trip, Ying, Bobby, Jerry, John, Steve and others. The conditions were tough and the fish were picky. You could do pretty good if you paid attention and stuck with it. My brother and I each got 6 nice fish. A lot of prizes and give aways. I already put down my deposit for next year.

Reactions: jerryl

jerryl

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
It was a fun trip and a good group of passengers. Some very good anglers on the trip, Ying, Bobby, Jerry, John, Steve and others. The conditions were tough and the fish were picky. You could do pretty good if you paid attention and stuck with it. My brother and I each got 6 nice fish. A lot of prizes and give aways. I already put down my deposit for next year.
See you next year Mike. Great fishing with you again!

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
A few tuna were hooked on small dart-type jigs, but only one was actually landed due to the small hooks, also only one was caught on a surface stickbait, and only one on a fall-type jig right at sunset.
By "dart-type jigs", do you mean MegaBait (Point Wilson Dart) type or the smaller colt sniper type?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
By "dart-type jigs", do you mean MegaBait (Point Wilson Dart) type or the smaller colt sniper type?

All of those, plus several more, fall under the "dart type" category.
Theoretically, the originators were Rocky D'Aquisto and his "Point Wilson Dart", and Bill Haddock with his "Striper Sniper", both of which pre-date the rest by 30 or more years.
My personal favorite [and most productive for me] is the Williamson Gomame, but pretty much all of them require upgrading the hooks if going after tuna of any size.
Photo of Williamson Gomame with some examples of upgraded hooks:

Bluefin jigs1.JPG

Reactions: Cubeye

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Karl Sanders learned quickly, and was able to get with the tuna program nicely.

Karl 15LD2.JPG

Reactions: stephen campbell

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
All of those, plus several more, fall under the "dart type" category.
Theoretically, the originators were Rocky D'Aquisto and his "Point Wilson Dart", and Bill Haddock with his "Striper Sniper", both of which pre-date the rest by 30 or more years.
My personal favorite [and most productive for me] is the Williamson Gomame, but pretty much all of them require upgrading the hooks if going after tuna of any size.
Photo of Williamson Gomame with some examples of upgraded hooks:

View attachment 1099243

I would just like to add a little history here because I know these guys and want them all to have credit. The jig frenzy pretty much started in Washington and Rocky as mentioned was part of it's foundations. However there were a couple other big players that for various reasons didn't get world renowned but really helped pave the way. The three original guys were Rocky, Dave Sanford, and Jim Keezler. Dave made the Dungeness Stinger, and then sold out to Live Jenson for a while and was able to get the right back and still make them, he also make a jig called the rotator that works really well. And now Jim made the Chinook special, definitely the best fishing of the original 3. He used to cast 10's of thousands of jigs by hand in his garage. Eventually he had them mass produced at a casting house but did all the work for many years.

It's worth noting, I think, that the point Wilson dart was actually the slowest producer of the 3 jigs. It's my belief that Rocky just had better advertising and a hunger to grow which is why Point Wilson Darts are a staple in anyone's tackle box.

The Chinook Special is the only of the original 3 that isn't still in scale Production. I was actually able to acquire the molds from Jim several years ago and I cast up small batches every now and then. Simply for posterities sake here is a picture of the Chinook Special.

Keep Chargin'
Andre

IMG_20190802_152738.jpg

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I would just like to add a little history here because I know these guys and want them all to have credit. The jig frenzy pretty much started in Washington and Rocky as mentioned was part of it's foundations. However there were a couple other big players that for various reasons didn't get world renowned but really helped pave the way. The three original guys were Rocky, Dave Sanford, and Jim Keezler. Dave made the Dungeness Stinger, and then sold out to Live Jenson for a while and was able to get the right back and still make them, he also make a jig called the rotator that works really well. And now Jim made the Chinook special, definitely the best fishing of the original 3. He used to cast 10's of thousands of jigs by hand in his garage. Eventually he had them mass produced at a casting house but did all the work for many years.

It's worth noting, I think, that the point Wilson dart was actually the slowest producer of the 3 jigs. It's my belief that Rocky just had better advertising and a hunger to grow which is why Point Wilson Darts are a staple in anyone's tackle box.

The Chinook Special is the only of the original 3 that isn't still in scale Production. I was actually able to acquire the molds from Jim several years ago and I cast up small batches every now and then. Simply for posterities sake here is a picture of the Chinook Special.

Keep Chargin'
Andre

View attachment 1099254

Great info, its always important to give props to the originators.
I am referring specifically to this style of lure as regards to SoCal/Baja yellowtail and tuna species.
The others either never made it down here, or were not as productive.
I was in the retail tackle biz at the time and don't remember the Chinook Special, so likely they simply were never brought south.
The Dungeness Stinger was seen as a Luhr Jensen product, but [although they worked well down here], they were never advertised as such.
Ditto Haddock Lures' "Striper Sniper"; intended for freshwater stripers, but produced in Venice [and later Torrance], it was a natural move for them to be used in the salt.

Last edited:

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Great info, its always important to give props to the originators.
I am referring specifically to this style of lure as regards to SoCal/Baja yellowtail and tuna species.
The others either never made it down here, or were not as productive.
I was in the retail tackle biz at the time and don't remember the Chinook Special, so likely they simply were never brought south.
The Dungeness Stinger was seen as a Luhr Jensen product, but [although they worked well down here], they were never advertised as such.
Ditto Haddock Lures; intended for freshwater stripers, but produced in Venice [and later Torrance], it was a natural move for them to be used in the salt.
Yea I just know these guys worked hard to get us where we are today and it'd be a shame if they were forgotten over time. I can't imagine the hundreds of expert fishermen of yesteryear that fell through the cracks before the internet and modern media. It's a shame that all their knowledge goes with them.

I do not believe the Chinook Special ever made it out of the PNW. As the name implies they kill salmon. But I'd be happy to send you a couple dozen sometime simply for posterities sake. PM me if you're interested.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Yea I just know these guys worked hard to get us where we are today and it'd be a shame if they were forgotten over time. I can't imagine the hundreds of expert fishermen of yesteryear that fell through the cracks before the internet and modern media. It's a shame that all their knowledge goes with them.

I do not believe the Chinook Special ever made it out of the PNW. As the name implies they kill salmon. But I'd be happy to send you a couple dozen sometime simply for posterities sake. PM me if you're interested.

The only one of the "rotating" jigs that made it to the SoCal market was the "Buzz Bomb". It had a brief period of popularity, but did not make it out of the 1980's.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Phil Lamonica had an exceptionally good trip, and was constantly hooked up.

RM tuna 1.JPG

Reactions: stephen campbell

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Bendo!!

Steen bendo.JPG