skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
It was upto 70 degrees at times, there was wind upto probably 12 knts at times and it was definitely fairly chilly in the evening. One morning we did have a slight sprinkle for a few hours. Now that I am back in nor cal and its raining everyday I am definitely missing it.
Thanks...

King Halibut

BigBoy
Sep 11, 2008
Buena Park, Calif
Name
Dave
Boat
none
Nice fishes, I'm booked on a six day the end of April going to the Lupe. I have never fished that early in the year I hope we get into some fish. Never caught a tuna over 100lbs, my largest is 92. Fingers are crossed this will be my first trip on the Shogun heard nothing but good things.

KH

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Nice fishes, I'm booked on a six day the end of April going to the Lupe. I have never fished that early in the year I hope we get into some fish. Never caught a tuna over 100lbs, my largest is 92. Fingers are crossed this will be my first trip on the Shogun heard nothing but good things.

KH
Don't think you'll be disappointed can be very slow at times real key is just keeping a bait in the water and a positive attitude.

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
Taylor, thanks for the report, I'm taking in every word about the 'Lupe because I'll be there first time this fall.
Hey what rod and reels worked well with the smaller sardines? Any tips on combos that casted baits well and still worked big fish to the boat in good time would be helpful, thanks.

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Taylor, thanks for the report, I'm taking in every word about the 'Lupe because I'll be there first time this fall.
Hey what rod and reels worked well with the smaller sardines? Any tips on combos that casted baits well and still worked big fish to the boat in good time would be helpful, thanks.

On the size bait that we got from the reciever casting it was very challenging for even the most experienced guys, really the biggest reel it was castable with was basically a avet jx size reel. Alot of people using larger size reels were just setting them in the waters and letting them swim out. The crew will make and announcement and say its critical that everyone help make bait at night, be sure to help the larger baits really do make fishing easier.

The combos I used for tuna were

Phenix black diamond hybrid 700xh with avet jx raptor I had 65lb spectra on it and used it to fish 40 and 50lb top shot.

Phenix black diamond hybrid 700xxh with accurate dpx2 600 and 80lb spectra I fished 60lb top shot with this set up.

Oviously every rod and reel manufacturer will have something that could be interchanged with either of the models I suggested, that is just what I happened to use.

Good luck on your trip.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Taylor is a fishing god. He has to hide behind a tree to bait his hook.