Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I had asked for some advise on hooks before leaving on my 5 day for Guadalupe a week or so ago so I am back now and figure I would give a report.

I followed advise I got on here and fished the smaller 3/0 hooks as most of the bait we had picked up from the receiver was smaller grade sardines probably in my estimate about 5 inches. The bait swam well shoulder hooked with a regular owner mutu 3/0 circle hook. We did make bait a few nights and did have some nice Spanish mackerel to fish one day, although most of the larger baits were reserved for the kite. The fish at the lupe seemed to be very picky and all of my bites were on the long soak I had 5 tuna bites and I landed 4 tuna which were all very similar in size (I weighed one at the landing out of curiosity 84lbs gilled and gutted) 3 of my tuna came on 60lb floro with 4/0 mutu on Spanish mackerel the other was on 40lb floro with a sardine and 3/0 mutu. I had 5 yellowtail bites and landed all of them 4 on the dropper look with white fish slab cut bait on 100lb mono the other yellowtail came on a salas 6x jig all of the yellowtail I landed were from 31 to 35lbs.

The boat and Crew were awesome they saved some tangles that I thought were done for, we pretty much always had 1 fish hanging all in all it was just tough fishing all of the Tuna that I watched get gutted were plugged with red crab. The food on the boat was excellent as well. I had a great time and will be back next year on the same trip to try my luck again.

I would highly recommend a Guadalupe trip to anyone who is on the fence about going personally Id take a handful of nice grade fish over a limit of your normal 5 day rats any day.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Way to go Taylor! Gotta love the Lupe for the quality grade fish it offers for a 5-6 day LR trip. Pretty amazing how the fishing there for both YFT and Yellows has held consistent now for two full seasons (lets hope it continues this coming season as well). According to Aaron the gill and gut process they perform on the Shogun decreases the fish's weight by approximately 10% on a YFT so a 100lb YFT will weigh about 90lbs after a gill and gut procedure back at the dock scale.

Thanks for reporting back and congrats on a great trip.

G

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Nice to hear that you had such a good trip, and all those nice fish--any tuna that requires 2 gaffs is a good fish!

And long soaks can indeed be the norm at Guadalupe (and other places too!).

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Silly question, do the processors take issue with the gill and gut prior to them weighing them? Nice report btw, I was on the RR3 and we were dying at Cedros/Benitos...no current anywhere.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Silly question, do the processors take issue with the gill and gut prior to them weighing them? Nice report btw, I was on the RR3 and we were dying at Cedros/Benitos...no current anywhere.
You guys got some Yellows at the end of your trip, where was that, up towards San Martin, Colnet?

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled

Not at all, Tim and the crew on the royal star are the most conscious crew as far as fish quality is concerned and they gill and gut any tuna over 50 lbs or so. His involvement with the processor leads me to believe his fish preservation techniques are not an issue.

SSUfish

Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
You guys got some Yellows at the end of your trip, where was that, up towards San Martin, Colnet?

Colnett was 100% dead - there was no current there either. We made a move towards the beaches where bird schools and a couple pangas were. It was absolute chaos and wide open. We definitely needed that kind of bite given the morale of the prior days.

Reactions: Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Oops

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Colnett was 100% dead - there was no current there either. We made a move towards the beaches where bird schools and a couple pangas were. It was absolute chaos and wide open. We definitely needed that kind of bite given the morale of the prior days.

I fished your same trip on the Rooster back in 2013. Similar results down at the islands but we had a game saver on a high spot "The Six" outside San Martin. Good on the Yellows. Food's always good, they never stop trying. Nick's first trip in the captain's chair for you guys. Derek ran our trip.

Reactions: skipjackrobert

pascuale

Aug 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
3rd world country panga fleet
Hey guys I had asked for some advise on hooks before leaving on my 5 day for Guadalupe a week or so ago so I am back now and figure I would give a report.

I followed advise I got on here and fished the smaller 3/0 hooks as most of the bait we had picked up from the receiver was smaller grade sardines probably in my estimate about 5 inches. The bait swam well shoulder hooked with a regular owner mutu 3/0 circle hook. We did make bait a few nights and did have some nice Spanish mackerel to fish one day, although most of the larger baits were reserved for the kite. The fish at the lupe seemed to be very picky and all of my bites were on the long soak I had 5 tuna bites and I landed 4 tuna which were all very similar in size (I weighed one at the landing out of curiosity 84lbs gilled and gutted) 3 of my tuna came on 60lb floro with 4/0 mutu on Spanish mackerel the other was on 40lb floro with a sardine and 3/0 mutu. I had 5 yellowtail bites and landed all of them 4 on the dropper look with white fish slab cut bait on 100lb mono the other yellowtail came on a salas 6x jig all of the yellowtail I landed were from 31 to 35lbs.

The boat and Crew were awesome they saved some tangles that I thought were done for, we pretty much always had 1 fish hanging all in all it was just tough fishing all of the Tuna that I watched get gutted were plugged with red crab. The food on the boat was excellent as well. I had a great time and will be back next year on the same trip to try my luck again.

I would highly recommend a Guadalupe trip to anyone who is on the fence about going personally Id take a handful of nice grade fish over a limit of your normal 5 day rats any day.

Nice Taylor! Thanks for the great report!

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Taylor, it looks like you really enjoyed your trip. Congrats and thanks for the report...

- Jeff Burroughs
It was definitely a great trip pretty sure everyone onboard had a great time. I have been doing that trip for 3 years now and theres a great group that comes back every year. Can't wait to go back again.

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan

Taylor: how as the temp and weather? I leave on Monday...

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Thanks for the report, I almost pulled the trigger on that one, and now wish I did. I'll have to wait until summer for my next trips, but this definitely keeps me going.

-Connor

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Taylor: how as the temp and weather? I leave on Monday...
It was upto 70 degrees at times, there was wind upto probably 12 knts at times and it was definitely fairly chilly in the evening. One morning we did have a slight sprinkle for a few hours. Now that I am back in nor cal and its raining everyday I am definitely missing it.

Reactions: skipjackrobert

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Good report Taylor. Glad you did well. I knew you would. I'm on the Nov 4th trip for this year. Hope to see ya at the rail. Richard Jones