reelnaclt

Looking for bugs in all the wrong places
Dec 4, 2005
Spring Valley
Name
Wes
Boat Name
Triumph 120 QE .2
Had $3500+ worth of (5)rods and (5)reels stolen from my truck and need to replace essentials. Any recommendations? My current thoughts.
Surface Iron setup- Avet MXJ Raptor 50 Braid 40 mono 150' topshot paired with Phonix PSW760XH
Flyline setup- Penn Fathom 25-2 50 Braid 20-40 flora 4' topshot paired with (already have) Shimano Trevala 66MH
Calico setup-Lexa 300xs-p 40 Braid 15-30 flora 4' topshot paired with PhonixSMX-C 77MH
Bluefin jig setup- undecided.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Sorry about your loss! Of course next time you will make room in your clothes closet for your box of reels (which should be away from the heat of vehicle and garage anyway.) If you can cast a lever drag as well as a star drag, fine. Otherwise a star drag reel for surface iron is usually a better choice. And for just a little more, you could get the Lexa 400 and it would serve as your all-around setup for all three purposes until you get your heavier rig.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat Name
    none
    For the surface iron set up I’d suggest a Tesoro 12 (or a Trinidad or Torium 20)on a 9 foot rod. I like the PSW 909 XH or a UC Del Mar 9 footer. Your bait set up looks good.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Had $3500+ worth of (5)rods and (5)reels stolen from my truck and need to replace essentials. Any recommendations? My current thoughts.
    Surface Iron setup- Avet MXJ Raptor 50 Braid 40 mono 150' topshot paired with Phonix PSW760XH
    Flyline setup- Penn Fathom 25-2 50 Braid 20-40 flora 4' topshot paired with (already have) Shimano Trevala 66MH
    Calico setup-Lexa 300xs-p 40 Braid 15-30 flora 4' topshot paired with PhonixSMX-C 77MH
    Where was your truck at? If at home, maybe homeowners insurance can help pay for the stolen gear. If it was at the docks, maybe auto insurance can help.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    Damn thieves they should deserve as cannon fodders in Ukraine…

You may consider the Accurate TERN 2 & United Composites 9E combo for your surface iron rig.

Check the the Gen 2 Penn Fathom 25NLD2…

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat Name
    Jasmine
    Like others have said, a star drag or a Lexa 400 with a 8’ or taller rod would be much better for surface irons. I’d stick with 8’ just for versatility and ease of transport/storage.

Reactions: jigstrike
    Upvote 0

jfirey2001

Agent
    Jul 13, 2005
    San Clemente
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    Old
    will check with insurance co on monday
    Sorry to hear about your gear, i have had to deal with thefts myself over the years and know how frustrating it is.

If you have homeowners insurance, it will typically cover up to 10% of the personal property limit for belongings away from the home - this is where you would have coverage, not on your auto policy. That being said, it would be subject to your deductible and would be a chargeable claim on your record, which would increase your premiums for typically the next 5 years. Talk to your agent, but if it was $3,500 worth of gear, between your deductible and increased rates it may not make sense to claim it.

Reactions: reelnaclt
    Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat Name
    Camo Whammo
    You can keep it consistent with Penns and UC's in your preferred flavors.

Fathom 25 star for iron
    Fathom 25N and 40N for bait
    Torque 40N for bluefin
    VISX 16 or 20 for bigger bluefin
    Fathom 300 for bass

Substitute brand and model for similar sized reels.

Invest in a rod rack to keep gear indoors and also outdoor security for your truck and home.

Reactions: reelnaclt
    Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat Name
    None
    I have a good fishing buddy coming to San Diego from Atlanta early November. He would like to sell 3 Calstar Graphiters and one Calstar composite. Models are 700xl, 700l, 700ml, and 870C. If interested send me a PM and I’ll make the connection. He also has an SKB 7200 box, that he can bring west, that he wants to part with.

There is NO funny business here. He plans to bring them in November for me to sell but I’m sure he would ship them if you need them sooner and pay shipping. I believe he is negotiable.
    Joe

Last edited:
    Upvote 0