Replacement siding/install NE Tacoma or Federal Way area

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by KimH, May 29, 2018.

1. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    We're wanting to replace our old T111 siding on the house soon. A flicker drilling a hole is the straw that broke to want to replace the old stuff. Does any of you experts have any suggestions for product and installers. It's all on the wife since I'm up North till the middle of July so we really need someone we can trust. We do have one referral that she will contact but I'm assuming we should check a couple more.
    We're thinking Hardie Plank but we aren't sure of other products that might be good and durable. Not sure about vinyl. Wouldn't mind doing it with the metal stuff we have on the place in Westport but that probably wouldn't fly in the neighborhood.

Anyway suggestions would be great.
    Thanks,
    Kim

2. roadracerrick

roadracerrick Member

Name:
    rick
    Boat:
    nw jet
    360-791-4752 Nolan

3. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    HARDI PLANK!!!!
    You will forever regret vinyl.

4. KimH

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    Hardi Plank that's the plan. She does have a good referral that will come by the house Tuesday. She'd rather have me home but as busy as most are it's probably best to get moving instead of waiting to the middle of July.

fishing fanatic likes this.
  5. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Check with the contractor on his flashing technique as well as understanding of products like g-tape. Personally I won’t insure houses if they aren’t wrapped in jumbo tex 60 min paper. Just my thoughts. Good luck

6. JayG

JayG Member

Name:
    Jay G
    Boat:
    23' NR Seahawk "Chasing Dawn"
    Kim,

Personally I would go with Cemplank over Hardie plank.
    Little known fact is that it is made by James Hardie but sold under the Cemplank name at a much more reasonable price. (Roughly $2 a plank difference, and that adds up). Cemplank offers a 25 year warranty vs a 30 year from Hardie, other then that the only noticeable difference is the primer color, (James Hardie is yellow and Cemplank is Gray) put the two side by side when painted and you'd never know the difference.
    I would agree with Jason that you would need at the minimal 60 minute Jumbo Tex as a WRB, if it were me I would jump up to a house wrap.
    Also you should be able to go over your existing T-111 with no problems. Most of the time T-111 is both your sheeting and exterior finish all in one.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Jay

G-Spot likes this.
  7. KimH

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    Thanks Jay,
    That's good info. I'll let the wife know. I like the idea of going over the T1-11. The house is old enough to have tar paper under, not the stuff they use now.

We did the same with our roof several years ago. It was wood shake. They laid 1"x2"s vertical on the shakes and the another set of 1"x2"s horizontal. From there they laid metal panels that looks like shakes. From a not so far distance it still looks like a shake roof. After we did ours 5 other houses did the same in just a few months time.

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    What he said..... Cenplank will save you 20% on materials.

strongly consider windows too if they are old aluminum. (Same vintage as T111). Often times the window flange is behind the T111, so it is much easier to get them out and upgrade to vinyl when doing siding. You can usually get windows removed and replaced for $150 +/- per window labor. The actual cost of. Good vinyl window (Milgard or Cascade) is not bad either. Many siding/window guys screw people pretty hard, so definitely price check. The worst I have seen is Sears.... I’ve seen them give quotes for 10 times more than a local guy who is honest and does good work.

I did a good sized house this year, 13 new windows and a sliding door, siding, had to carefully remove interior window trim, cut down and replace and the whole job was around $12k. Just offering this up as a baseline for you to have some pricing info...

The price above did not include new paint.

bigdood likes this.
  9. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Let me know if you need help dealing with any future flickers. Those buggers cause a lot of damage up here every spring.

10. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    You should see the damage those flickers did to my shop in Kent. I gotta go stealth mode though. Next door neighbors are Audubon society folks. They frown on me thinning the bird herds

fishing fanatic likes this.
  11. KimH

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    We've been lucky with the Flicker damage till this year. They've done some fairly major damage to a couple of the neighbors though. A couple of years ago one was trying to poke out the vents under eaves of our house. We read if you install a so called flicker bird house you might have the chance of escaping the damage. It worked for a year and then they ignored it this year.
    Another thing we read is a lot of the pounding is a mating call. Imagine if we had to bang our heads against a wall to get laid......maybe we do.
    I have a good RWS break barrel pellet gun that produces I think around 1100 or 1200 feet a second on the pellet. The wife won't let me use it but I'm not home anyway. Hmmmmm I wonder if I banged my head on the wall....maybe then.

12. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    The one thing about Flickers is they are territorial. Best to stay on them, hang Mylar ribbon, hang cd’s on string to flash and spin in the wind, shoot them, nail or screw a metal roofing shingle over any holes, so they bend their beak if they try to get back in! Hopefully it moves on to an easier place. Once it has decided your house is theirs they are harder to get them to leave....

They are pesky!