Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I have a Calstar SCS 870 with a scratch on the blank and want to fix it before it causes problems. The clearcoat is gone on a section about 1/8" x 1", but the blank has not been damaged (delaminated, fractured).

Can I just scrape and flake off the loose clearcoat with a razor, mask the area, then apply a thin coat of flexcoat? Also, is flexcoat the correct finish to use directly on top of the fiberglass/graphite blank? Any tips to make the job come out right would be great. :notworthy

Last question, What type of rod is the Calstar SCS870? I picked up this rod used for $50, but I don't know for sure what type of rod it is, I am thinking graphite/glass. The blank is black with light grey under wraps, dark grey over wraps, gold accents, ceramic (Fuji) guides and grey hypalon grips.

Thanks, Dan

Baja Dreamer

Push the button Max!
Jul 2, 2004
Bakersfield,Ca.
Name
Chris
Boat
None
The Calstar 870 you have is an "E" glass blank, not a composite. It's a good 20-25lb. stick and can be pushed to 30lb. if you want to.

Yes, you can repair the finish somewhat with a little Flex Coat in the scratch. As you said, carefully remove any loose finish around the scratch, clean the area with denatured alcohol or acetone, and apply a very small amount of finish to the scratch, just enough to cover it.

FISH HARD!

Chris

Fancydan

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 10, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
none
I prefer using U-40 Permagloss for finishing directly on the blank itself. Goes on thin, and ends up with a harder and more durable finish. Does not require any mixing and dries much faster.

I don't use Permagloss for wraps mind you.........still use flexcoat type finished for that. But nothing I've come across yet for blank finishing beats Permagloss. Just make sure you prep the surface well before applying it.