PENN

nightsessions

Jan 29, 2012
santa monica
Name
zach
Boat
Wish i had one
Hey guys was lucky enough to receive a 2.5 day trip as a graduation gift. This will be my first offshore trip, and I was wondering how the rental gear they provide is?

Also I haven't decided which trip I am going on, but I saw Daiwa had a 2.5 sponsor on the Pacific Queen. If I were to do that would Daiwa provide rods and reels?

Thanks, Zach (If anyone has advice about a specific boat, time of year, anything really please pm me because I don't really know anyhting about these trips)

Upvote 0

kevin.st

Ice cream extraordinaire
May 10, 2014
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
kevin.st
Boat
none
This is a a difficult question. To even begin to be prepared for this trip, you could easily spend $1k. But, you can just buy one decent rod/reel and be ok for most of the action. I used my 20-40 rod and daiwa saltist 30 for most of my 2.5 day a week ago.

However, if you plan on just going on one trip, just rent. The rental stuff in SD isn't horrible like up in OC and LA.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Zach congratts on graduation most of the sponsor trips will have gear to try call the PQ office they will tell you rental gear for the most part is pretty good the boats have trolling gear take what you have then rent the rest 30-40 is the norm have 1 60lb rig in the rack for that 1 time when the big boys come out have fun

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
Your best bet is just to watch the classified and try to pick up a versatile 30-40 rig. Granted it would be best to have a bunch of options, one solid setup is better than the rental gear they provide. Plus you can probably get a decent setup for around $100.

I would recommend a daiwa sealine or saltist 40 and a cheap boat rod rated somewhere between 20-50. If you need help on picking something out just PM me.

Upvote 0

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
The Diawa trip does bring some gear free off charge to use on the trip. However it is not a rod you are guaranteed the entire time. That trip usually sells out with the same group of guys. Would be surprised if there are any spots available.

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
Check out the Vagabond at point loma sportfishing, I know they have some 2.5 day trips and they will let you use there gear all you have to buy is line if needed , climb on the boat with hooks. being its your first trip Mike and the boys will take good care of you.

Reactions: kevin.st
Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
^^I've been told that the Vagabond is LEGIT. I hope to check it out soon.

Vagabond is LEGIT family owned and operated, Nice older boat might not have all the cosh amenity's as some of the newer boats, but Iv been ridding her for years 5 to 10 day trips no problem. It a fishing machine, they love pulling on fish, foods grate, Mike and the boys know what there doing. I highly recommend them, first timers are no problem just let them know and they will get you dialed in quick!

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Hey guys was lucky enough to receive a 2.5 day trip as a graduation gift. This will be my first offshore trip, and I was wondering how the rental gear they provide is?

Also I haven't decided which trip I am going on, but I saw Daiwa had a 2.5 sponsor on the Pacific Queen. If I were to do that would Daiwa provide rods and reels?

Thanks, Zach (If anyone has advice about a specific boat, time of year, anything really please pm me because I don't really know anyhting about these trips)

You are the guy who wins jackpot on almost every boat I've ever been on. I would love to back you and split the jackpot on your trip. Whatever trip you get on, the landing will have good gear to use, and the deckhands will take care of tying your hooks, etc.

Please let us know how your trip (was). Hope you have a blast!!!

Upvote 0

nightsessions

Jan 29, 2012
santa monica
Name
zach
Boat
Wish i had one
Thanks for the help guys. I went with the 7-22 through 7-25 daiwa trip on the pac queen and a friend is letting me use some gear. Won a go pro at grad night so I'll try and film it some. I'll probably have more noob questions in the near future.

Zach

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Thanks for the help guys. I went with the 7-22 through 7-25 daiwa trip on the pac queen and a friend is letting me use some gear. Won a go pro at grad night so I'll try and film it some. I'll probably have more noob questions in the near future.

Zach
make sure your friend's gear' (drags work good) and fresh line 'a must, if not check the landing rental gear out' it's pretty good' the multi day gear is not the 1/2 and 3/4 day stuff. good luck' drew is fishy.

Upvote 0

john e.

Aug 26, 2012
alta loma
Name
john
Boat
any
good luck! If you absolutely need something you cant get let me know if you dont mind the drive to alta loma Ive got a pile of stuff I can help you out with,rods some older penn and newell reels and tackle

Reactions: Noobiefisher
Upvote 0

Irishman818

I got 99 problems....
Nov 26, 2011
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Nope
Jump on the eclipse on the 17th. I've got more than enough for both of us. All I ask is that you bring flours leader in 30, 40 and 50lb. I've got everything else you need bud. PM me if you need more info.

Jon

Upvote 0

nightsessions

Jan 29, 2012
santa monica
Name
zach
Boat
Wish i had one
Jump on the eclipse on the 17th. I've got more than enough for both of us. All I ask is that you bring flours leader in 30, 40 and 50lb. I've got everything else you need bud. PM me if you need more info.

Jon
Thanks for the offer, but I already paid for the trip. My mom is used to half day prices so i dont think she would be happy about me taking another trip haha.

Upvote 0

bigeye2k

CAPTAIN
Jun 22, 2005
Samsun Turkey
Name
Erol
Boat
Parker 2120
Always a good bet using 6 month old rental rod line with a crows nest in it. Borrow some gear from a buddy and give hime some fillets in return.

Upvote 0

rile-b-fishn

Jan 21, 2011
Redlands/Ca/USA
Name
Riley R Young
Boat
floatty tube
Pacific Queen is an awsome boat.we charter it every year for the company fishing trip.the food is GREAT and the boat is a fish magnate.Prepare yourself for an epic trip.good luck/tight lines. be sure and give us a report when you return.

Last edited:
Upvote 0