Removing flotation bracket with 5200

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
So after a dozen fishing trips on my outboard conversion. The bracket was too low. So since my lower unit gears took a crap. I've decided to take this time to remove and raise it up. I went by manufacturers recommendations and it's just way too low. So after reading many posts on the hull truth about removing brackets using 5200. It was debond and lots work or just put heat to it and lift the rear and let the boats weight pull it. So I chained up the engine hoist to where the outboard mounts. Then I put my shop heater where it went down center of the V of bracket. After about 45 mins I hear it crackle and then pop. Came right apart. There are about 3 spots or so that peeled the gelcoat but for the most part it just seperated. Now time to patch, plug, gelcoat and remount it and be done. I'm raising it 3 inches. Not only was bracket too low, but motor was at highest mount and still low. So I can bring motor down if needed but I think I'll be where I need to be. I chose this over a jackplate cause the swimstep was at water level and dragging. Even on plane it still caught water.

IMG_20210521_094354.jpg

IMG_20210521_105123.jpg

IMG_20210521_105201.jpg

IMG_20210521_105304.jpg

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Bummer. I liked your build. Hopefully your healing up.... a lil more work and u will be stoked with your ride

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Yeah, I am excited how it's all coming along. This seemed like a headache but turns out it will be a minor fix. Lil bit elbow grease and measurements I'll have it back together in no time. Next 2 upgrades are bigger fuel tank and a minkota urtella trolling motor with spotlock and stow and deploy. I actually think if I would have lifted a little at a time and let the heat work longer I wouldn't have peeled any gel coat. But it's all gd. I'll patch it all up and re gelcoat. Have it fishing in no time. Thanks all,because of all the help and advise hear I have plenty confidence I can do all of this.

Reactions: Tranquility
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
So after a dozen fishing trips on my outboard conversion. The bracket was too low. So since my lower unit gears took a crap. I've decided to take this time to remove and raise it up. I went by manufacturers recommendations and it's just way too low. So after reading many posts on the hull truth about removing brackets using 5200. It was debond and lots work or just put heat to it and lift the rear and let the boats weight pull it. So I chained up the engine hoist to where the outboard mounts. Then I put my shop heater where it went down center of the V of bracket. After about 45 mins I hear it crackle and then pop. Came right apart. There are about 3 spots or so that peeled the gelcoat but for the most part it just seperated. Now time to patch, plug, gelcoat and remount it and be done. I'm raising it 3 inches. Not only was bracket too low, but motor was at highest mount and still low. So I can bring motor down if needed but I think I'll be where I need to be. I chose this over a jackplate cause the swimstep was at water level and dragging. Even on plane it still caught water.

View attachment 1281989

View attachment 1281992

View attachment 1282001

View attachment 1282004
sure hope you get it right this time......

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
well most likely the factory install measurements were off as they where talking about mounting a single out board on the bracket.... which would be the measurement difference due to the deep vee on your boat....