Removing bottom paint advice

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat Name
ocean
So when I got my CC it had recently been painted with bottom paint. I was told by the owner he had it applied since he was going to be leaving it in the water. It will now only be trailered and I would like to remove it and buff the original gelcoat both on top and what’s under the bottom paint, anyone ever do this?

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat Name
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
The one guy I know that tried sanded off most of the gel coat. Be careful.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat Name
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
So when I got my CC it had recently been painted with bottom paint. I was told by the owner he had it applied since he was going to be leaving it in the water. It will now only be trailered and I would like to remove it and buff the original gelcoat both on top and what’s under the bottom paint, anyone ever do this?

there are no guaranteed result here, no guarantee the bottom was in good/perfect shape prior to the bottom paint.
This is a plan for the worst hope for the best scenario.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

WESTCOASTSPREADERBARS.COM
Advertiser
Aug 23, 2004
Offshore 32* 42 / 119* 08
Name
RICK
Boat Name
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
have it blasted off , dustless blasting. there are also other medias for blasting off bottom paint. i've scraped about half off my bottom paint and will have the rest blasted off.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
There used to be a media blaster that used walnut shells or something along those lines that didnt screw up the gelcoat,I think @Ali posted something a couple years back maybe he will chime in.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

Advertiser
Aug 23, 2004
Name
RICK
Boat Name
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
There used to be a media blaster that used walnut shells or something along those lines that didnt screw up the gelcoat,I think @Ali posted something a couple years back maybe he will chime in.
soda blasting .....

Upvote 0

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat Name
27 Foot Stringari Custom
Likely the soda blasting will leave a rough and slightly pitted surface.
Be fore warned you are taking a big chance if you go that route.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
17' montauk "Anger Management"
wear a mask, that bottom paint dust sucks. I sanded a small section of the transom couldn’t imagine doing an entire sled. good luck

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

Advertiser
Aug 23, 2004
Name
RICK
Boat Name
if the paint scraps off easy then it means it wasn't applied properly, like on my boat. i got the easy to get to stuff off , but will have the rest soda blasted.

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat Name
ocean
Thanks! Yea I may leave it as is then, I know if it was applied correctly then it should have been sanded prior to, my plan was to wet sand if there was enough left and cut and polish with the rest of the boat. I thought it may be easier since when I washed the boat the first time it started rubbing off at the edge where the paint stops. I may check a test spot to see how it goes or leave it as is. Really prefer the cleaner look of no bottom paint since it’s not left in the water but really not worth it if it’s going to cause a ton of work.

Reactions: jigstrike
Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Boat Name
340Z SeaVee
Thanks! Yea I may leave it as is then, I know if it was applied correctly then it should have been sanded prior to, my plan was to wet sand if there was enough left and cut and polish with the rest of the boat. I thought it may be easier since when I washed the boat the first time it started rubbing off at the edge where the paint stops. I may check a test spot to see how it goes or leave it as is. Really prefer the cleaner look of no bottom paint since it’s not left in the water but really not worth it if it’s going to cause a ton of work.

Bottom paint slows the boat down as well as eats fuel.

Upvote 0

R&R

May 12, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Rob
Boat Name
CABO 226
I’m in the same boat as you guys who want to remove bottom paint. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about it today. Walnut shell would be fine. Just make sure who ever does it has experience in blasting.

Upvote 0

Latest posts