Relocating to Texas?

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by albacore11, Oct 4, 2017.

1. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I know this isn't a fishing report, so if this gets moved I totally understand.

That being said, the wife and I are looking at relocating to Texas mid-year 2019. We want to be near an international airport for travel considerations, so that appears to mean Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston. I have a concern with Houston due to seasonal hurricanes. We did live in Beaumont briefly 36 yrs ago.

I am looking for suggestions on communities we should be looking at considering. It is almost self evident that we are both seniors.

Very appreciative for any suggestions you are able to provide. Oh, the wife thinks it would be nice to live on a lake. Would like to be within one hour drive of the airport.

Thank you for your consideration.

Olddog8 likes this.
  2. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    The Woodlands is really nice. I think it is less flood prone than Houston proper. Close to IAH (maybe an hour at rush hour, other times much less). Also about an hour and change to Galveston where there's plenty of good saltwater fishing opportunity to be had. I would live there before Dallas personally, as the coldest parts of winter will be much milder and you're closer to the salt. Good luck with your move.

3. Johnny Sixgun

Johnny Sixgun Go where the fleet isn't

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    TTT
    I've lived both places. I love north of Houston, Lake Conroe and above. Love the woods. But, like you said hurricanes!
    I lived in Euless, minutes from Dallas airport. I worked for a heavy duty wrecker service there. It floods there bad too, every year. It'll also snow. It'll shut the place down for a few days. I had friends that lived on Grapevine Lake, real close to the airport. It was real nice. Just keep in mind, flooding happens there too. Oh yeah, tornados there too!
    Definitely get more home for you buck in Tx.
    Houston's prettier. Dallas all flat, no woods. Just like a busy nasty city you'd find here, just a different attitude of people.

4. ironfish

ironfish "Veni,Vidi,Vici"

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Excel
    Be prepared for a culture shock. You are moving from God's country,"The Sierra's" to the flat plains of Texas. You can identify where you are located by the two hundred foot tall, white water towers that advertise the city names, Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, etc. You will notice the steep pitched roofs on the houses there. They are built this way because of the tornadoes that arrive with their high ripping winds. You will not find solar panels on the roofs due to the size of the hail balls that fall from the sky. Make sure you park your car in the garage to prevent hail dings. Good Luck, or as they say in Texas, "Vaya con Dios".

5. Johnny Sixgun

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    TTT
    I forgot about the hail. Both my trucks still have dimples on them!

6. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
    Family, first.

7. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I lived in Houston for a few years. Hotter than crap for months on end. Pretty good fishing in the gulf, Decent BBQ and lots of titty bars other than that pretty miserable, there's a reason it's cheap. Oh and fire ants, cockroaches and mosquitos up the wazoo. Maybe spend a month or 2 in Texas before pulling up stakes, it ain't for eveyone

SemperFishing likes this.
  8. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Austin and Central Texas is beautiful. Much of it is still affordable. There's Austin and then there's everything else is sort of how Texas is to some people. You'll be in the middle of some fantastic bass fishing and much of the coast will be right around 3 1/2 hours away due to how the curve of the coast relates to Austin. Houston and Dallas are choked with people. I'd go with Dallas/FW just because there are so many fantastic lakes nearby. In Houston you'll have a lot of mosquitoes and a couple of super crowded lakes to choose from. Sam Rayburn Reservoir, maybe Texas' finest lake is about an hour and a half to two hours north. Well, good luck with that move. Texas is awesome. :)

9. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    For the record, the roofs are pitched fairly normal and have nothing to do with the wind. You will also find solar panels all over the place, though hail is a possibility. BTW, TX has mountains and hills. just depends on where you are.
    San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin all have international airports.
    Not sure what you meant by "seasonal hurricanes", but in any one spot, they are usually 6-10 years apart and not at all like Harvey was.

spize909 likes this.
  10. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    My dad just retired to Fairview texas just outside Dallas. Lives on a lake and absolutely loves it. Not sorry he left california. Just sorry he did not do it sooner.

11. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Thank you, will take a look at Fairview. Just can't leave until the wife retires, I have been living it easy for nine years already.

makairaa likes this.
  12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Plano Texas.

Clean, low crime, cost of living is not crazy, housing is reasonable, and you are close to DFW, hunting, and fishing.

13. Day0ne

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Plano has always been high and the Dallas Metroplex has one of the highest housing price increases in the nation, if not the highest. Probably still lower than CA though. My house in Rowlett (near Plano) has almost doubled in worth in the last 20 years. Not there yet but getting closer every day. Have a look at Rockwall. The town is right on Lake Ray Hubbard.

Blackfish likes this.
  14. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras

:cheers:You are right, I am California minded when thinking about what is normal and what is high ......shit, if my house only doubles in 20 years, I would be freaking out. :) But When I lived in PA and OH, I would be ecstatic.

I know there are many many areas that are much more affordable in that area, and all over Texas....just tossing out a major suburb metropolitan area that is close to Dallas, but not TOO close.

makairaa likes this.
  15. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    And even in the "expensive" areas the price is 20 to 40% less than the comparable house in CA. And that is not to say Texas houses are not nice. It says CA houses are too damn expensive.

Blackfish likes this.
  16. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    I have been to Teaxs multiple times in the last couple of years as my daughter, husband, grand children moved to the Dallas area. She works at the Baylor Hospital there. I had the pleasure of driving around the entire state . I like the Del Rio souwest area. I recommend that you check it out. There is an alpine area near there and multiple big fishable lakes.
    Having just returned from Dallas I willl say I do not enjoy the 100 degree 100% humidity. Not too outdoor friendly.
    Good Luck

17. Johnny Sixgun

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    TTT
    Bass Pro Shop not far from Rowlett!

18. Day0ne

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Right across the street

19. StayingBent

StayingBent Jesus is Lord

Name:
    jasun
    Boat:
    n/a
    I also just moved to DFW area recently looking to get out myself.

20. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    I was in the service so have lived in many places including Folsom, Colorado Springs and now Texas since 2001. I moved to Texas for the airport (1.5M on American). If you are going to travel frequently, especially international then go with Dallas.

Texas is a cool state with each city having its vibe. The suburbs of North Dallas are beautiful and the further away from the center, the cheaper they get. There are multiple nice lakes for fishing but I am about 4 hours away from tuna fishing (Galveston or Freeport). I live in Allen less than 1 hour away from about 7 major lakes, 5 min from Cabela’s and 30 from 2 bass pro shops.

Weather is hot but not humid (similar to Folsom). If you ever want more info call me (no I am not a realtor).

Maitai53 likes this.