Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Just started reloading dove loads. Shot up a couple of cases of Kent Steel Dove (1400fps, 7/8oz #6) and want to start reloading for a few reasons. I can't find dove ammo anywhere right now and I have two kids that just got their hunting licenses that I want to go practice. I want to mock the Kent Steel Dove loads.
Got a Lee Load All 2 for 20 and 12 gauge.
Here are the parts I picked up so far based on lots of reading online which I know is dangerous. Components are hard to get right now!

Powder Longshot
#6 Steel Shot
Kent Steel Dove (Cheddite Hull) and Upland Steel (Federal Hull, 3/4oz) 2 3/4"
Wads TUWSBL2024 (same as in Kent Steel Dove)
Primers Ched 209 (I know they will fit the Cheddite Hull, don't know about the Federal I keep seeing Fed 209A in recipes but it's for lead)

My problem is I am only finding recipes for 2 3/4 lead or 3" Duck loads.

I broke down and messed with the two loads to try and figure out how they are built.
First, recognize the powders?
I have lots of longshot but if I can't figure out how much to use then I'll try a different powder trying to match it. Alliant Steel seems to be the closest to the Steel Dove loads?
Can I do the same recipe in both style hulls?
Can I use the Ched 209 primer in the Federal hull? I know it's .001 smaller pocket but can ram it right in there and it fits flush.

Kent Steel Dove 20GA 2 3/4 #6 7/8oz 1400FPS
Shot .864oz #6
Wad TUWSBL2024
Powder STEEL? 18.9 Grain

IMG_2814.jpg

Kent Upland Steel 20GA 2 3/4 #6 1500FPS
Shot .7495oz #6 1 1/8 Bushing
PT2090 20ga non-toxic wad
Federal Hull
Powder? 27.9 Grain Small cylinder black and brown powder
IMG_2825.jpg

Does anyone recommend a loading manual with recipes for steel that are current? All I'm finding in documentation is old lead or 3" steel recipes.
I need steel dove load recipes for 12 and 20 if you are willing to share.

I'll be pulling apart the same shells for 12 Guage when I can get my hands on them. I only have 20 gauge right now.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I’ll be watching. I have a reloader set up for steel 12ga.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
There is something inherently wrong with someone that invests time and thought into shooting Birds of Peace.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
I never said I was straight.
Wait, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that I never said I wasn't tweaked a little. All God's creatures are put on the earth for a reason. Because they are tasty! Especially Sea Lions, Bald Eagle, Gharabaldi, bobcat, mountain lion, and spotted owl. The elite closes those species down to the public to reserve them for themselves.

Reactions: koubster

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Wait, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that I never said I wasn't tweaked a little. All God's creatures are put on the earth for a reason. Because they are tasty! Especially Sea Lions, Bald Eagle, Gharabaldi, bobcat, mountain lion, and spotted owl. The elite closes those species down to the public to reserve them for themselves.
DLM

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I've reloaded Longshot on some 20 & 28 gauge shells and its works well however a pretty dirty burning powder you'll really notice in autoloaders. Have you seen Longshot used in other published Steel Loads as its slow burning and typically used in High Base and Magnum Shotshells. I would think you would want a Fast Burning Powder. Most Powder Manufacturers have powder made specifically for Steel Loads and I would stick with those. Going to be hard to find a recipe for Kent Hulls. Buy a case of 20 ga. AAs for the range practice and use the empties for reloading. A great deal on once fired 12 gauge AAs in Classified. You'll find more recipes if any for those hulls.

Better solution would be to hunt AZ; more birds, more places to shoot, less crowds, and lead is still OK. Only another hour each way and well worth the investment.

Last edited:

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Loaded a few up. The Federal upland steel was the easiest to load and crimp. The Steel Dove Cheddite seems like super pliable plastic and the body would warp if I put any pressure on them while crimping.

IMG_2865.jpeg

Loaded 16.5, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 grains of long shot with 7/8 of #6 steel. Will test next weekend and see which one I like. Ordered A Steel as it seems there are more recipes for that powder and steel than long shot.

Does anyone know if these Winchester Super X 2 3/4 are good for reloading? I reloaded a couple but don't know what they are to find recipes.
IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

61423718684__1D0D8503-9437-4CEA-93BC-09DC38CEE861.jpeg

Reactions: Ryan_J

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I load them all the time using AA Specs they have the same plastic inner base the only difference is the 6 star crimp and the steel base. They don't reload as many times as the AA though the steel needs to be resized frequently

Did you ever see a published recipe for Longshot using steel shot?

Reactions: Jason

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Did a little research for you: From Shotgun World -

. Ballistic Products Inc. "Advantages", current edition <<< main steel shot resource.

Advantages has about 100 times more recipes for steel shot than anything else. With that manual in hand, you can exactly answer your thoughts on various loads and speeds, and browse through the recipes to find one that fits components you can access with payload and speed you want.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
I load them all the time using AA Specs they have the same plastic inner base the only difference is the 6 star crimp and the steel base. They don't reload as many times as the AA though the steel needs to be resized frequently

Did you ever see a published recipe for Longshot using steel shot?
I found a couple of recipes on Precision. https://www.precisionreloading.com/docs/uploads/TUWSBL2024 Load Data - Website-2.pdf

Federal has one

and on Hodgon with Bismuth http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/dat...+oz.&Manufacturer[]=Hodgdon&Powder[]=Longshot

I ordered the "status of steel" from BPI. Supposed to have a bunch of steel loads for 2 3/4. The Advantages book only has 3" I had a buddy take a look in his before I was going to buy it. Still waiting on status of steel...

Doesn't seem like many reload for dove loads just skeet and duck.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Get that shit figured out so I can mooch some shells off you... now I gotta find a 20 gauge that I want that isnt back ordered

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
There is something inherently wrong with someone that invests time and thought into shooting Birds of Peace.
Birds of Peace eat approximately 20% of the Argentinian grain crop each year. I gently persuade them to do otherwise exactly 500 times in the morning before lunch when I am down there. And in the afternoon I fish for golden dorado.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Found these on ShotgunWorld as well.

Federal hull
Win primer
20 grains Longshot
Fed 20S1 wad
Pressure with 20.9 grains is 10800 and is 9900 psi with 19.7 grains. So in between that.
The velocity with 20.9 grains is 1275 fps and is 1220 fps with 19.7 grains. So in between that.

Load# 90810-1125 20-GAUGE ITX NIPPER
HULL: FIOCCHI 20 GA 2.75”
PRIMER: FIO616
PROPELLANT: HODGDON LONGSHOT 20.0 Grains
WAD: NC20 + VP91 (Mica dust the wad)
SHOT: 7/8 ounce ITX#2 (382 grains)
BUFFER: none
FOLD CRIMP: OS20 over the shot
Result: PSI 11900 FPS 1390

Remington hull
Win primer
17.5 grains Longshot
Remington SP20 wad
Pressure with 17.8 grains is 12000 psi so this is just under that.
Velocity with 17.8 grains is 1220 fps so probably about 1200 fps.

Hull :Fiocchi
Primer : Fiocchi
Wad : BW 20 (gualandi Bior-Skeet wad)
powder : Hogdon longshot : 21,5 gr.
1 oz # 6
1300 fps.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Get that shit figured out so I can mooch some shells off you... now I gotta find a 20 gauge that I want that isnt back ordered
I got 5 boxes ready to go for you to test for me in your new shotgun. Hurry up and get one.

Last edited:

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I would have thought you needed a fast burning power with steel but what do I know? I did some reading and its quite the opposite since the made for steel wads are thicker and have no cushion in them.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
I would have thought you needed a fast burning power with steel but what do I know? I did some reading and its quite the opposite since the made for steel wads are thicker and have no cushion in them.
I bought the longshot based off a youtube video showing me how to reload. But once I started getting into it I started seeing that recipes are far and few between for steel 2.75". So I'll save the longshot for 3" loads if I ever reload those and switch to Alliant Steel for the 2.75 as it seems there are tons of recipes for that powder.

If you want to try some longshot I've got 4lbs of it and willing to give you a cup or so to test out.

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I bought the longshot based off a youtube video showing me how to reload. But once I started getting into it I started seeing that recipes are far and few between for steel 2.75". So I'll save the longshot for 3" loads if I ever reload those and switch to Alliant Steel for the 2.75 as it seems there are tons of recipes for that powder.

If you want to try some longshot I've got 4lbs of it and willing to give you a cup or so to test out.
Thanks but when Universal was in short supply I loaded about 250-500 28 gauge loads with it and couldn't believe all the crap left in my receiver trigger assembly it shoots dirty and I have 3# left. I'll eventually use it on 20 gauge Pheasant Loads

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
If I was shopping for a 20ga, I would seriously be taking a look at the CZ Bobwhite G2 SxS.

Nice gun. Not too expensive either.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
If I was shopping for a 20ga, I would seriously be taking a look at the CZ Bobwhite G2 SxS.

Nice gun. Not too expensive either.
I need all 3 shots..

The 20s that I'm looking at are all back ordered..

So many guns bought to protect the horded toilet paper by guys like Meeker..

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I need all 3 shots..

The 20s that I'm looking at are all back ordered..

So many guns bought to protect the horded toilet paper by guys like Meeker..
When you get as old as I am you never know when or where you'll need it and I'm still running low.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Hail Mary full of grace, please don"t let me whiff on all 3 again and be a disgrace... blessed are thou among women, this time let me have dead birds all over the place...

Last edited:

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Hail Mary full of grace, please don"t let me whiff on all 3 again and be a disgrace... blessed are thou among women, this time let me have dead birds all over the place...
If a little Church can save someone like you then I'm a newfound believer Amen