Offshore Relentless 1.5 day probably not again

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    From the owner's point of view, pretty hard to do the upgrades to the boat in the middle of the summer fishing season. Interior upgrades like galley seating, bunks, and getting mattresses made takes time. Pretty decent of the owner to want to start a dialogue. I hope that there is time made in the future for upgrading the boat.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Fishy boats can become stinky boats real quick The Pacific Queen is one of the few that got fishier in time for sure. Eddie has not stopped smiling from above yet though many owners
    He was my offshore fishing mentor growing up. What a Legend.
    Some say the old "fishy" woodies still have the "aroma" of a gazillion
    gallons of Albacore blood/saltwater flushed from their bilges. Lot of memories there. LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mikeysd1

Nov 8, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    Mikey
    Boat Name
    65' Seaway AZTEC
    I just saw this. I take it your the owner or the skipper. First off sir if you were the captain that day. I said you did a great job trying to put us on fish. Your crew does a great job keeping the outside of the boat clean. You have all the tools to have a great operation but your maintenance on your interior is lacking. This is a public service industry no matter if you like it or not. Make everyone want to come on your boat and write a great review. Nothing personal here just observations. Good luck and good fishing.
    Not engaging here. You want to call me fine. Vessel is not in any way run down. Vessel receives tens of thousands of dollars quarterly in maintenance. Vessel does well over 200 days a year servicing
    one of the busiest charter calendars on the coast. These are the facts. Was reaching out to clarify or discuss your points of interests personally. Not engaging further in here.

Upvote 0

Kh1983

• May 5, 2017
    Orange County
    Name
    Keith
    Boat Name
    N/A
    Interesting, the Relentless has been one of my favorite boats that I've been on. Super comfortable inside and out and very accommodating captain and crew in my experience.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat Name
    Boats n hoes
    Why don’t you call him? We couldn’t care less about what what happened 2-3 years ago but apparently you still do. Get some closure dude.
    Call about what? Closure? Wtf are you talking about? I'm simply stating my experience with that boat, or lacktherof due to all the cancelations.

First the excuse was covid, now it's I don't recall. Lol. Maybe cancelling that often is common practice over there? No clue but it's funny nonetheless.

Upvote 0

mikeysd1

Nov 8, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    Mikey
    Boat Name
    65' Seaway AZTEC
    Call about what? Closure? Wtf are you talking about? I'm simply stating my experience with that boat, or lacktherof due to all the cancelations.

First the excuse was covid, now it's I don't recall. Lol. Maybe cancelling that often is common practice over there? No clue but it's funny nonetheless.
    No excuses bud. Only time anything like this happened it involved a crewmen’s family emergency and then a covid issue later on. Obviously one of us is mistaken. Either way. Once again. Best of luck to you. I have zero desire to continue this further.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat Name
    Boats n hoes
    No excuses bud. Only time anything like this happened it involved a crewmen’s family emergency and then a covid issue later on. Obviously one of us is mistaken. Either way. Once again. Best of luck to you. I have zero desire to continue this further.
    Sorry bud, you are the mistaken one. One of the excuses given to the charter master were "refrigeration issues".

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat Name
    Kathleen
    Wanted to like this boat but. First off so you know my view point most of the trips I go on are 3 to 10 day on larger long range boats. First off my experience started off bad on check in. When asked at the ticket counter when we could start boarding they said when ever the Captain checks in and tells us. Right now thats around 8pm thats we were early and it was around 3:30. So we had a little wait. We got in a line around 7pm the line consisted of 3 other boats so no what really knew if there was a specific line. Around 8pm the Relentless left the dock to get fuel or something. But when they left the dock the line moved down to the slip. Still without anyone telling anyone what was going on. The boat came back around 8:45 and everyone started loading kind of in a rush. I was told by someone choose whatever bunk you want, rather than being assigned one. The first thing I noticed was the interior was extremely worn out and had the feel of an old old half day boat that needed to be retired. Most of the mattress covers were worn out and cracked at least mine was. The interior just had a musty dirty feel to it. I have been on many other boats for full day and long-range they were spotless and always seemed almost new. So we left the dock and the Captain comes on the PA and gives us the safety talk about where things are located and conditions. We were told that there was now a fuel surcharge and it is what it is. That is fine during these times but the Captain said if you had a problem with that please come and talk to him about it.Seemed odd he did not come down from the wheelhouse. This would be the standard for the trip no captain customer service, we only really saw him one time to come down and gaff a 1 one fish. Conditions were very tough and rough. The crew kept the outside of the boat spotless during the trip constantly washing it down. The bait was marginal and that was not the boats fault this time of year. But when you needed bait it was like there was a shortage. You would have to constantly ask for some bait in the tanks. The food and the galley cook were very good. Just the inside of galley area and booths were extremely worn out. The tv was mounted on something that made it swing back and forth. The wood through out the interior was worn out with no varnish on many areas. I could not believe how worn out the interior looked. There is a staircase down the the bunk area the stairs are bare wood in areas with non skid almost worn out.
    Like I said the fishing was tough horrible sea conditions on a boat that really really rolled. Three people fell on this trip the deck has an odd step down from the galley to the deck area its at an angle to the rail and people had a problem with it. The Captain really worked hard at driving trying to find fish we trolled for hours and stopped on many paddies that were not really holding. Later in the day he finally found some schools of bluefin and yellowfin. But the fish were hard to catch several were lost and the Captain started screaming from the wheelhouse about losing fish. It really changed the tone on the boat this person screaming about losing fish. The Captain finally came down on deck when someone hooked a fish. I guess to make sure it got on the boat. That was the only time we saw him all day. Fishing is tough some times and I realize that. But customer service and boat maintenance are all about the owners. The boat has so much potential you want to like it. Hopefully they can change things. I feel bad to write this report but I looked for reports and did not see many.
    Don't feel bad. Your honest report means a lot . Customer service is the thing that keeps us coming back because we all know fishing is fishing. Appreciate you.

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat Name
    Kathleen
    That's quite a phone book rant about the boat, your take. Catch any Fish? Pics?
    I fished with previous owner/Capt. Joel Ralston and the boat was ship shape/ spic and span.
    I knew he sold the boat, he and family moved to Hawaii a few years ago....also Read this.
    This post might be better on in Offshore Trip Planning FYI. Just saying.
    The boat has always been "fishy" and good counts. Try another boat...we have choices.
    I have suggestion Cory...keep them to yourself...this is the perfect place to post this stuff.

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat Name
    Kathleen
    funny how someone always chimes in with that. Oats fishy, whatever that means. The reality is some boats are run by douches, I’ve been on at least two, I would never fish again out of San Diego.
    Yeah and douche bags defend them even when your polite about it. This a forum . If it makes your ass hurt don't log on.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

mikeysd1

Nov 8, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    Mikey
    Boat Name
    65' Seaway AZTEC
    Sorry bud, you are the mistaken one. One of the excuses given to the charter master were "refrigeration issues".
    Ah. You are correct. I know the trips. I know the group. Ate up an oil cooler August. Lost fish hold in October, easiest move would have been to say oh well, let’s pack it with ice, keep their money, and maybe give them a compromised product. That’s not who we are. Period. Rescheduled for 2nd week of November. Afternoon of departure I shattered a veneer and had a dental emergency. Thanks for nailing me down sir. That group fishes with us 4 weekends out of the year and we enjoy every one of them. Sorry for your loss. Thanks again for your interest and best of luck.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat Name
    N/A
    Have fished the Relentless a number of times on open party trips. Had lots of fun, caught lots of fish, ate well. Crew always working hard and bumped into Captain Mickey many times on the deck, and he can gaff a fish like none other! I always feel good when he is next to me with a gaff in hand and my fish at color. My health has prevented me from fishing this year! I would love to fish the Relentless again sometime soon.

All the best Mickey!

Reactions: Cubeye and One_Leg
    Upvote 0