Release Truth Seigler Star Mag Review (Don't buy one)

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
You can't the fathom for its price. One thing I will say is that Seiglers are bad ass looking reels.
Actually what steered me to Fathoms for my budget reel is not much with price ($180sh on deals) but with the Thrust Bearing. Never know of any value reel yet which incorporate this important feature aside from Penn Fathoms.

Upvote 0

Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
2017 Robalo 305
Actually what steered me to Fathoms for my budget reel is not much with price ($180sh on deals) but with the Thrust Bearing. Never know of any value reel yet which incorporate this important feature aside from Penn Fathoms.

True. Thats pretty funny I was just reading about that the other day.

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2015
San Diego
Name
Steven Alvarez
Boat
N/A
Ordering my dream-
This past May 2020 I decided to treat myself to a new reel I’ve been wanting to get for a few years now. That reel was ‘Seigler’s” “SS” model star drag reel, of which had been an existing model going back when the company used to be named ‘Truth’ Reels. The past year in a half I had been seeing both online companies and brick and mortar stores stop carrying the Seigler SS. Then when I came around to buying one a few online stores that I called up as well as The Seigler company had told me that the ‘SS’ had been discontinued. So, I decided to call up Seigler again reels and ask (if it was possible) to order a used or refurbished ‘SS’ reel if they had it in stock. Unfortunately, they said no they had none, but they can do me one better. They forward the call to one of their floor assembly/builders and the cool gentleman told me “we can still build you one from all the remaining parts, we have all the new parts in stock to build a new ‘SS’ reels but if Color isn’t an issue, things like the frame, side plates, crank, and knob handle may be in a different color scheme. I said “fuck it” let’s make a Beast, and per my request in color options and just trusting the team as Seigler they put together a well-crafted reel. I had two specifics request that: 1) it be an ‘SS’ model frame only because that model comes with a rod clamp 2) that if they could install their magnetic brake on the side plate on my reel. Unfortunately, they couldn’t do the mag brake install, but again, they asked if appearance and color don’t matter they can just install the “SM” side plate which already come installed with a mag brake, again that was an easy call.

Practical application-
So, after a 3 week wait to receive my reel and having to additionally wait here in California for the Sportfishing season to open up due to COVID-19. To my surprise they even gave me the original ‘SS’ side plate at no charge. I spooled it with 50# Izorline and connected a 2 meter long 40lbs Fluorocarbon leader and put it on a 9ft Californian rod rated at 25-60 lbs my reel was set. June 27th, I finally reserved a spot on the ‘Sea Watch’ out of Seaforth sportfishing for its full day trip to the Coronado Islands off of Baja. Ground fish made up most of the majority of take home table fare. That day the yellowtail bite was finicky throughout the day and most YT hookups were caught with live bait and iron jigs catch’s were nonexistent all day up until my iron hookup at our last stop on the north Coronado island northern most tip. That afternoon we finally found a decent YT school getting the attention of the Gulls and once I had noticed birds going ape shit on the starboard and traded my bottom fishing rig for my Californian rod with my Seigler SS. By the fourth cast on using my heavy Blue-white Tady 4/0 I finally got the boats first iron hookup of the day after which 3 others on the boat managed some iron hookups after me. I thought the ‘SS’ handled very well, I had no problems with either the spool tensioner or the magnetic brake. Its cranking ability felt solid. And when it came to casting, my reel threw out what ever iron I attached with easy. Ergonomically the handling felt odd to those that got to try my reel but for me I didn’t have any awkward sentiment of the handling of the reel. The drag was on point even to the fact that deck hands had to recommend to let off it other wise I would jeopardize losing my fish. At drag weight capacity being anywhere between 25-30 lbs my SS had proven its worth that afternoon.

Reflection-
My last trip was a 2.5 tuna outing of the Ocean Odyssey from H&M and my reel did well in its function however most catches I did were done on heavier equipment. One thing I did notice between my last 2 trips were most people who had nice equipment or rented from the shops really hadn’t any experience with their respective equipment that they brought on these trips. For those with star drag reels casting from the bow of the boat there were countless times I kept telling/ reminding people wet your spool prior to throwing out (to prevent backlash), make sure you spool tension isn’t button down and that your adjust to your liking, disengage your reel to free spool before throwing and so on… So in reflecting on my observations and reading this overly critical review on essentially the same style of reel I have, I have to assume that some sort of brand bias and operator error has to be more of the problem from not being fully acquainted with said fishing equipment. Since June I’ve been fishing my Seigler off of my Kayak at La Jolla or at Mission bay and still no ill perceptions of my rig to speak of unless I’m being a lazy ass and not working my reel correctly.
In terms of my transactional experience with the company, I found the people at Seigler reels were very professional, responsive and accommodating. Before they shipped my reel out they sent me a photo of the finished product prior to delivery. Mind you I am not a sponsored by anybody of any significance regarding Seigler reels, I just really like their equipment, and I don’t believe the overly critical hype this dude is dramatizing. Sounds like there’s probably more to the story than what being divulged and I’m pretty sure your email/ and phone demeanor to Seigler wasn’t to their liking especially how you probably come off this forum sounding like a rude person at a bar and being very pompous. The fishing tackle service and the food and beverage industry are kind of the same in a certain aspect, if you wanna be a jerk to them, expect to be at the bottom of their service quality list.

-Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you.

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9398.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Ordering my dream-
This past May 2020 I decided to treat myself to a new reel I’ve been wanting to get for a few years now. That reel was ‘Seigler’s” “SS” model star drag reel, of which had been an existing model going back when the company used to be named ‘Truth’ Reels. The past year in a half I had been seeing both online companies and brick and mortar stores stop carrying the Seigler SS. Then when I came around to buying one a few online stores that I called up as well as The Seigler company had told me that the ‘SS’ had been discontinued. So, I decided to call up Seigler again reels and ask (if it was possible) to order a used or refurbished ‘SS’ reel if they had it in stock. Unfortunately, they said no they had none, but they can do me one better. They forward the call to one of their floor assembly/builders and the cool gentleman told me “we can still build you one from all the remaining parts, we have all the new parts in stock to build a new ‘SS’ reels but if Color isn’t an issue, things like the frame, side plates, crank, and knob handle may be in a different color scheme. I said “fuck it” let’s make a Beast, and per my request in color options and just trusting the team as Seigler they put together a well-crafted reel. I had two specifics request that: 1) it be an ‘SS’ model frame only because that model comes with a rod clamp 2) that if they could install their magnetic brake on the side plate on my reel. Unfortunately, they couldn’t do the mag brake install, but again, they asked if appearance and color don’t matter they can just install the “SM” side plate which already come installed with a mag brake, again that was an easy call.

Practical application-
So, after a 3 week wait to receive my reel and having to additionally wait here in California for the Sportfishing season to open up due to COVID-19. To my surprise they even gave me the original ‘SS’ side plate at no charge. I spooled it with 50# Izorline and connected a 2 meter long 40lbs Fluorocarbon leader and put it on a 9ft Californian rod rated at 25-60 lbs my reel was set. June 27th, I finally reserved a spot on the ‘Sea Watch’ out of Seaforth sportfishing for its full day trip to the Coronado Islands off of Baja. Ground fish made up most of the majority of take home table fare. That day the yellowtail bite was finicky throughout the day and most YT hookups were caught with live bait and iron jigs catch’s were nonexistent all day up until my iron hookup at our last stop on the north Coronado island northern most tip. That afternoon we finally found a decent YT school getting the attention of the Gulls and once I had noticed birds going ape shit on the starboard and traded my bottom fishing rig for my Californian rod with my Seigler SS. By the fourth cast on using my heavy Blue-white Tady 4/0 I finally got the boats first iron hookup of the day after which 3 others on the boat managed some iron hookups after me. I thought the ‘SS’ handled very well, I had no problems with either the spool tensioner or the magnetic brake. Its cranking ability felt solid. And when it came to casting, my reel threw out what ever iron I attached with easy. Ergonomically the handling felt odd to those that got to try my reel but for me I didn’t have any awkward sentiment of the handling of the reel. The drag was on point even to the fact that deck hands had to recommend to let off it other wise I would jeopardize losing my fish. At drag weight capacity being anywhere between 25-30 lbs my SS had proven its worth that afternoon.

Reflection-
My last trip was a 2.5 tuna outing of the Ocean Odyssey from H&M and my reel did well in its function however most catches I did were done on heavier equipment. One thing I did notice between my last 2 trips were most people who had nice equipment or rented from the shops really hadn’t any experience with their respective equipment that they brought on these trips. For those with star drag reels casting from the bow of the boat there were countless times I kept telling/ reminding people wet your spool prior to throwing out (to prevent backlash), make sure you spool tension isn’t button down and that your adjust to your liking, disengage your reel to free spool before throwing and so on… So in reflecting on my observations and reading this overly critical review on essentially the same style of reel I have, I have to assume that some sort of brand bias and operator error has to be more of the problem from not being fully acquainted with said fishing equipment. Since June I’ve been fishing my Seigler off of my Kayak at La Jolla or at Mission bay and still no ill perceptions of my rig to speak of unless I’m being a lazy ass and not working my reel correctly.
In terms of my transactional experience with the company, I found the people at Seigler reels were very professional, responsive and accommodating. Before they shipped my reel out they sent me a photo of the finished product prior to delivery. Mind you I am not a sponsored by anybody of any significance regarding Seigler reels, I just really like their equipment, and I don’t believe the overly critical hype this dude is dramatizing. Sounds like there’s probably more to the story than what being divulged and I’m pretty sure your email/ and phone demeanor to Seigler wasn’t to their liking especially how you probably come off this forum sounding like a rude person at a bar and being very pompous. The fishing tackle service and the food and beverage industry are kind of the same in a certain aspect, if you wanna be a jerk to them, expect to be at the bottom of their service quality list.

-Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you.

View attachment 1186436

View attachment 1186437

View attachment 1186438
Awesome! This makes me miss my Seigler SS with Custom PMR Bespoke Supermag.....hopefully it has found a new home in Hawaii with a fellah Bd’r and maybe slaying whatever it can take from the Pacific O.

Agree....spoken to Wes Seigler everytime I have my reel serviced and these guyz are phenomenal! Lifetime Warranty speaks volume.

Enjoy your Seigler S/S and just make sure not to fish it way above its desired specs.

Reactions: Tactical.Fish0313
Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2015
San Diego
Name
Steven Alvarez
Boat
N/A
Excuse me for the late reply, It’s unfortunate that you sold that SS but you could always custom order another. As of recently practicing on it has been awesome...! But my I’m just waiting till the day boat number have been getting better to bring home a good harvest. So... my dad really liked my reel fishing off the rocks here in San Diego, and i talked my family into pitching in to get my dad one for his birthday. For whatever reason after i ordered it, it never arrived in a timely manner. (Thanks USPS) yet i followed up periodically and till some point i received a plan from Seigler (of which i do appreciate very much) since my reel order never arrived via USPS (again don't rely on the USPS) they agreed to rebuild me another reel for me and it made it to California this time. The fishing season has barely started and I’m just waiting till it starts heating up. However I’m looking forward to another day trip cranking in Yellowtails and other pelagic’s .

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Excuse me for the late reply, It’s unfortunate that you sold that SS but you could always custom order another. As of recently practicing on it has been awesome...! But my I’m just waiting till the day boat number have been getting better to bring home a good harvest. So... my dad really liked my reel fishing off the rocks here in San Diego, and i talked my family into pitching in to get my dad one for his birthday. For whatever reason after i ordered it, it never arrived in a timely manner. (Thanks USPS) yet i followed up periodically and till some point i received a plan from Seigler (of which i do appreciate very much) since my reel order never arrived via USPS (again don't rely on the USPS) they agreed to rebuild me another reel for me and it made it to California this time. The fishing season has barely started and I’m just waiting till it starts heating up. However I’m looking forward to another day trip cranking in Yellowtails and other pelagic’s .
Yeah USPS sucks..they have terrible delivery service...you are unfortunate if your item will be delivered by a union-perks spoiled lazy post persons. They don’t care..had lost couple of reels marked delivered when tracking. Luckily the vendors send new ones for free with signature upon delivery.

No regrets for selling my SS as I rather have someone abused it than just sitting in the rod racks most of the time. Btw if you are dialed in with Seiglers and like to Mag a Seigler LGN, pm me and I can send you the contact of a guy who can do it. Enjoy your Seiglers.

Upvote 0