Release Truth Seigler Star Mag Review (Don't buy one)

spazzedninny

Jan 2, 2016
United states
Name
Bill
Boat
what?
I received my Seigler Reels Star Mag back from Seigler today from getting service. I was originally going to do a full review of the reel but have decided I won't bother. Why? Because I'm done with this company and they aren't worth trying to leave off on a positive note.
I will start from the beginning.
I purchased the Truth Star Mag back in December 30, 2015. Received the reel a week after. Tossed it around some but it had issues. I did end up using it a few times and it was a smooth reel but was too fast to control (just wait, this isn't what you think). Here are the issues I had with it.
1. Knob wobbly since second day of use. They use plastic washers that get squished as soon as you apply pressure so the knob becomes loose and jiggles a lot. Others have had issues with the knob unscrewing from the arm completely.
2. Mag brake scraping against the side of the spool when it engaged.
3. Spool tension tightened until it stops provides no more than 5 oz of spool tension.
4. Drag maxes out at 13 pounds when the star is forced to stop(about what's stated)
5. No rod clamp.
6. Spool tension and mag knobs loosen during use.
After a few uses, I decided to bench it and turned it into a pretty conversation piece. First week of April 2019, I decided to bring it back out and see if I could pick up where I left off tuning the reel for my setup. I can cast over 100 yards with other setups and I expected this to be able to do the same. An actual 100 plus yards as measured with a $400 laser range finder and videos which have been posted on CSA. So instead of trusting myself, I just kept assuming it was just me, I decided this reel needed more tuning than my other setups so here's what I tried.
2 different line weights
3 different length rods (fiberglass and glass)
10 different weights from 2.9oz-8oz
I went from casting into the 60 yards and I max out at 91 yards. All using 90% thumb control on the spool since the spool tension and mag brake don't work. And I am limited to about 70% power on casts because a few dozen casts was as much as I was willing to put into this reel after hitting that wall.
I then decided to contact Seigler towards the end of April 2019. I used the "Contact" form on Seigler's website. Week went by and no response. Tried "Contact" form again, no response. I then called from my cell phone, no one picked up so I thought maybe it was my area code so then tried different numbers from work and still nothing. Frustrated, I decided to give it a break. Then on March 13, 2019 I sent Seigler a message on Facebook Messenger asking about adding a reel clamp to my reel. No response. March 15, 2019 Seigler's Facebook Messenger messages me to email them at [email protected], I emailed them directly from my email on March 15, 2019 still no response. I waited until March 22, 2019 on Facebook Messenger to let them know there was no response for any of my phone calls, emails, contact us form on their website, nothing. On March 24, 2019 they get back to me telling me to call Monday. At this point I'm pissed and needed a break. On April 24, 2019, I sent all the problems I've been having including all the videos of all the issues the reel was having to Seigler's Facebook Messenger since that was the only contact I had with Seigler. April 25, 2019 they get back to me and tell me to email their tech at [email protected] and he will get back to me by Monday at the latest, so I immediately send Will an email. April 29, 2019 evening still no response so I message on Facebook Messenger the owner, Wes Seigler asking who runs their Facebook page and no response. I then contact Seigler Facebook Messenger and tell them their customer service sucks. I then get an email from Will Gill (service tech at Seigler) on April 30, 2019. I respond to him same day and he says send it in cuz he does hot rod reels and he's caught up and at a 3-5 business day turn around and it'll be enough time for my fishing trip at the end of May so I pay my $35 service fee/return shipping and additional $20.25 insured and mail the reel out on May 1, 2019. May 3, 2019 I get email from Will saying he got the reel and he's got the reel cleaned up, new drags, free spool can hold 15 oz jig and he's now waiting for a larger magnet that will be in the following Monday or Tuesday (May 6 or 7). I'd like to point out that up to this date, Seigler has not checked their Facebook Messenger from my message from April 29, 2019 when I told them their customer service sucks. May 6, 2019 Seigler Facebook Messenger pops up and says my message from the 29th has been seen and they respond saying to call them. I then notify them that I have been in contact with Will and he has been amazing. Continuing on, I was assuming Will was working on the magnet and would mail it out shortly so I was patient and didn't reach out to him. May 13, 2019 I email Will because I haven't heard from Will or anyone. May 17, 2019 I call Seigler at 0735 PST and Liz picks up. She says Will is busy and he is in the back but will leave him a message. 1043 PST I missed the call but Will leaves me a message saying their packages have been pick up already so reel will go out Monday May 20, 2019. May 22, 2019, I received the reel and here is where my business with Seigler ends.
Upon opening the box, the reel is sitting there looking sad. And I mean SAD. There was nothing in the box or outside itemizing what had been completed as Will stated he would include so I can't say what was done on it but here is what I know. The new white braid was covered in black grease with a piece of clear tape wrapped around the spool. First thing I notice is that there was a noticeable gap in the reel handle which was because it isn't screwed in. It looked like someone got the screw started by hand and once it was a couple threads in, they gave up. I then checked the reel knob and the knob was still wobbly, nothing had been done to correct the plastic washers. I did a visual inspection and noticed they upgraded my reel clicker with a low profile anodized red one so that's cool. I tried to play with the drag but found it seized. It would turn both ways about a 1/2" and no more. I eventually broke it loose and tightened and loosened it a few times from end to end to get it smoother. I then checked the spool tension by disengaging the clutch. This is where I ran into another issue, the reel is extremely hard to disengage now but it will engage without any issues. Once the reel was disengaged, I backed off the mag brake (knob looks different now so maybe the magnet really was replaced with the euro mod people talked about) and cranked down on the spool tension until it would stop. I put my scale on it and pulled and found it at 13.92 oz (so pretty close to what Will said). I then backed off the mag and the spool tension, engaged the reel and cranked down as hard as I could on the star and tested it and came out with 12.6 pounds. So again, nothing to correct this.
I haven't bothered to open the reel up and see what was actually done because I'm done with this reel. It's a $400 paper weight not worth the money and the customer service is the worst service I have experienced from ANY company. Can't say I didn't try and try and try to give this company a fair review.
For everyones information, I do in fact have videos(including casting distances) of all the issues I have described as well as screenshots with time stamps of photos, videos before and after receiving the reel back including when the package was sealed up and then opened up and immediately tested and Seigler has all this as well. I have all the messenger screenshots as well as emails I will be more than happy to share with anyone if you contact me directly. You are welcome to share all of it but I won't be including it in this review because there is A LOT of videos, pictures, screenshots documenting this.

aussiefisho
aussiefisho
Belated read. One would hope that Seigler have made some changes. No one can survive in the cut throat business world like this, if this is how it is done. Hope all is better for you spazzedninny with rods n reels.
All the best from down under.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Y Go Home

Wage Slave
Nov 1, 2005
Name
me
Boat
Although I don't have the particular reel you do, I did purchase 3 Seiglers to use this year...SS, SGN & LGN. I plan on using em almost exclusively this season. Will report back on how they hold up on this thread if the OP is okay with it.

I did send the SS back to Seigler to check out and service because I purchased it used. The process was pretty smooth from phone calls, to sending reel in and getting it back. To be fair, they are a small four person (could be a few more, like 8) operation.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

Fresh2Salt

Aug 16, 2017
Waipahu
Name
Isaiah M
Boat
Whoever invites me on their's
Although I don't have the particular reel you do, I did purchase 3 Seiglers to use this year...SS, SGN & LGN. I plan on using em almost exclusively this season. Will report back on how they hold up on this thread if the OP is okay with it.

I did send the SS back to Seigler to check out and service because I purchased it used. The process was pretty smooth from phone calls, to sending reel in and getting it back. To be fair, they are a small four person (could be a few more, like 8) operation.

Lmk if you want to sell it when you get it back. I actually prefer the SS over the SM. What is the color scheme btw?

Upvote 0

Y Go Home

Wage Slave
Nov 1, 2005
Name
me
Boat
Lmk if you want to sell it when you get it back. I actually prefer the SS over the SM. What is the color scheme btw?

I received it back after getting it serviced and plan on using it for the first time on a trip next weekend. No plans to sale it at the moment. It's all silver in color.

Reactions: megajew
Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
After 2 reels that were garbage out of the box followed by the same run around you got I agree they’re one of the worst company’s on the industry as far as quality and customer service.

Upvote 0

kimorb

Almost A Member
Sep 10, 2005
Golden Hill
Name
Richard Baldwin
Boat
I wish
I have a LGN that I am using on my jig stick. It worked out of the box and I have been very happy with it. Challenging to cast with as there is a lot freespool but honestly, if I can ever get a better thumb it is probably what I am looking for for distance.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

Y Go Home

Wage Slave
Nov 1, 2005
Name
me
Boat
I took my SGN (new) to Catalina Fri., through Sun., hoping to measure it up against a few yellowtail. Didn't run into any yellows but it handled decent sized barracuda and maybe 50 or so barely legal sport coats with zero issues. Casts great... I have it paired with a 7' 6" vintage Fenwick inshore rod and they are great combo.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I have an SS which I modified to an SM by purchasing a new side plate with PMR Bespoke Custom Supermag ($150 value) from London, I’m contemplating of selling it as I didn’t got the chance to use it and just being a Wallpaper most of the time. Its better than SM due to the behemoth magnet (see PMR Youtube) and thicker reel foot base....Also have LGN which I may sell too with extra Main Case..

9ABFDC3F-CF96-439B-9567-8E6723A26F1C.jpeg A62C64FC-280D-4B36-8BCD-293C4004A2F1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fresh2Salt

Aug 16, 2017
Waipahu
Name
Isaiah M
Boat
Whoever invites me on their's
I have an SS which I modified to an SM by purchasing a new side plate with PMR Bespoke Custom Supermag ($150 value) from London, I’m contemplating of selling it as I didn’t got the chance to use it and just being a Wallpaper most of the time. Its better than SM due to the behemoth magnet (see PMR Youtube) and thicker reel foot base....Also have LGN which I may sell too with extra Main Case..

View attachment 1070367 View attachment 1070368

I messaged you.

Upvote 0

All-in

Nov 16, 2012
Seattle/wa./king
Name
Lamont
Boat
Says Who
Thank you for the detailed report. Haven't used this company but your review will definitely be kept in mind before doing business with them.
-reward that which you wish to continue
I received my Seigler Reels Star Mag back from Seigler today from getting service. I was originally going to do a full review of the reel but have decided I won't bother. Why? Because I'm done with this company and they aren't worth trying to leave off on a positive note.
I will start from the beginning.
I purchased the Truth Star Mag back in December 30, 2015. Received the reel a week after. Tossed it around some but it had issues. I did end up using it a few times and it was a smooth reel but was too fast to control (just wait, this isn't what you think). Here are the issues I had with it.
1. Knob wobbly since second day of use. They use plastic washers that get squished as soon as you apply pressure so the knob becomes loose and jiggles a lot. Others have had issues with the knob unscrewing from the arm completely.
2. Mag brake scraping against the side of the spool when it engaged.
3. Spool tension tightened until it stops provides no more than 5 oz of spool tension.
4. Drag maxes out at 13 pounds when the star is forced to stop(about what's stated)
5. No rod clamp.
6. Spool tension and mag knobs loosen during use.
After a few uses, I decided to bench it and turned it into a pretty conversation piece. First week of April 2019, I decided to bring it back out and see if I could pick up where I left off tuning the reel for my setup. I can cast over 100 yards with other setups and I expected this to be able to do the same. An actual 100 plus yards as measured with a $400 laser range finder and videos which have been posted on CSA. So instead of trusting myself, I just kept assuming it was just me, I decided this reel needed more tuning than my other setups so here's what I tried.
2 different line weights
3 different length rods (fiberglass and glass)
10 different weights from 2.9oz-8oz
I went from casting into the 60 yards and I max out at 91 yards. All using 90% thumb control on the spool since the spool tension and mag brake don't work. And I am limited to about 70% power on casts because a few dozen casts was as much as I was willing to put into this reel after hitting that wall.
I then decided to contact Seigler towards the end of April 2019. I used the "Contact" form on Seigler's website. Week went by and no response. Tried "Contact" form again, no response. I then called from my cell phone, no one picked up so I thought maybe it was my area code so then tried different numbers from work and still nothing. Frustrated, I decided to give it a break. Then on March 13, 2019 I sent Seigler a message on Facebook Messenger asking about adding a reel clamp to my reel. No response. March 15, 2019 Seigler's Facebook Messenger messages me to email them at [email protected], I emailed them directly from my email on March 15, 2019 still no response. I waited until March 22, 2019 on Facebook Messenger to let them know there was no response for any of my phone calls, emails, contact us form on their website, nothing. On March 24, 2019 they get back to me telling me to call Monday. At this point I'm pissed and needed a break. On April 24, 2019, I sent all the problems I've been having including all the videos of all the issues the reel was having to Seigler's Facebook Messenger since that was the only contact I had with Seigler. April 25, 2019 they get back to me and tell me to email their tech at [email protected] and he will get back to me by Monday at the latest, so I immediately send Will an email. April 29, 2019 evening still no response so I message on Facebook Messenger the owner, Wes Seigler asking who runs their Facebook page and no response. I then contact Seigler Facebook Messenger and tell them their customer service sucks. I then get an email from Will Gill (service tech at Seigler) on April 30, 2019. I respond to him same day and he says send it in cuz he does hot rod reels and he's caught up and at a 3-5 business day turn around and it'll be enough time for my fishing trip at the end of May so I pay my $35 service fee/return shipping and additional $20.25 insured and mail the reel out on May 1, 2019. May 3, 2019 I get email from Will saying he got the reel and he's got the reel cleaned up, new drags, free spool can hold 15 oz jig and he's now waiting for a larger magnet that will be in the following Monday or Tuesday (May 6 or 7). I'd like to point out that up to this date, Seigler has not checked their Facebook Messenger from my message from April 29, 2019 when I told them their customer service sucks. May 6, 2019 Seigler Facebook Messenger pops up and says my message from the 29th has been seen and they respond saying to call them. I then notify them that I have been in contact with Will and he has been amazing. Continuing on, I was assuming Will was working on the magnet and would mail it out shortly so I was patient and didn't reach out to him. May 13, 2019 I email Will because I haven't heard from Will or anyone. May 17, 2019 I call Seigler at 0735 PST and Liz picks up. She says Will is busy and he is in the back but will leave him a message. 1043 PST I missed the call but Will leaves me a message saying their packages have been pick up already so reel will go out Monday May 20, 2019. May 22, 2019, I received the reel and here is where my business with Seigler ends.
Upon opening the box, the reel is sitting there looking sad. And I mean SAD. There was nothing in the box or outside itemizing what had been completed as Will stated he would include so I can't say what was done on it but here is what I know. The new white braid was covered in black grease with a piece of clear tape wrapped around the spool. First thing I notice is that there was a noticeable gap in the reel handle which was because it isn't screwed in. It looked like someone got the screw started by hand and once it was a couple threads in, they gave up. I then checked the reel knob and the knob was still wobbly, nothing had been done to correct the plastic washers. I did a visual inspection and noticed they upgraded my reel clicker with a low profile anodized red one so that's cool. I tried to play with the drag but found it seized. It would turn both ways about a 1/2" and no more. I eventually broke it loose and tightened and loosened it a few times from end to end to get it smoother. I then checked the spool tension by disengaging the clutch. This is where I ran into another issue, the reel is extremely hard to disengage now but it will engage without any issues. Once the reel was disengaged, I backed off the mag brake (knob looks different now so maybe the magnet really was replaced with the euro mod people talked about) and cranked down on the spool tension until it would stop. I put my scale on it and pulled and found it at 13.92 oz (so pretty close to what Will said). I then backed off the mag and the spool tension, engaged the reel and cranked down as hard as I could on the star and tested it and came out with 12.6 pounds. So again, nothing to correct this.
I haven't bothered to open the reel up and see what was actually done because I'm done with this reel. It's a $400 paper weight not worth the money and the customer service is the worst service I have experienced from ANY company. Can't say I didn't try and try and try to give this company a fair review.
For everyones information, I do in fact have videos(including casting distances) of all the issues I have described as well as screenshots with time stamps of photos, videos before and after receiving the reel back including when the package was sealed up and then opened up and immediately tested and Seigler has all this as well. I have all the messenger screenshots as well as emails I will be more than happy to share with anyone if you contact me directly. You are welcome to share all of it but I won't be including it in this review because there is A LOT of videos, pictures, screenshots documenting this.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I owned Seigler SGN, LGN, SS, Built Like Tank. Excellent Customer Service....Had couple of Fathoms too from 25NLD2, 30LD2, 40NLD2, & 60LD2...great reels too.

Reactions: Texas Tuna
Upvote 0

Ian Baker

Fisherman In Training
Nov 16, 2018
South Bay, CA
Name
Ian
Boat
2017 Robalo 305
I owned Seigler SGN, LGN, SS, Built Like Tank. Excellent Customer Service....Had couple of Fathoms too from 25NLD2, 30LD2, 40NLD2, & 60LD2...great reels too.

You can't the fathom for its price. One thing I will say is that Seiglers are bad ass looking reels.

Upvote 0