Release Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by leadslinger, Feb 28, 2014.

1. leadslinger

leadslinger Ship of Fools

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    Mako 232 cc - Lead Slinger
    I'm thinking of trying a Release reel this summer Friend of mine loves it he also has nothing but Avets and says that he starting to like it better than his Avets. So before I dump a couple of hundred on another reel your thoughts on these ,,,
    The cost is close to the Avets just looking if you guys have had problems w/ the Release.

2. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    There was a guy in classified selling all of his. Either a great deal, or a reason to be suspicious.

3. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    I think the guy selling was also selling a ton of other gear I believe. Items such as Calstars.... I thought he was a commercial guy and I have read the reviews and they look solid....

4. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    I'll Bite....

Honestly after looking at their site and really looking at their pictures, I would be cautious. In looking at the photos of the 3 models they produce I would say the machine work on the reels is not as good at Avet or Accurate. Although outward appearance does not mean that a reel is not sturdy, dependable and easy or nice to use, often I have found my dependable/easy to use reels often exhibit outward quality.

The other thing about this reel and its site is that in a market of high performance in a little package that is already flooded, they give not one good overall picture that is not covered with text or fuzzy fade outs. It seems like they need comparison type thing......like smaller than.....more cost effective than....etc. Also it states 2 handle styles.....so where are they?

I don't want to shit on this guy who building them out of Virginia............heck Avet was a small time thing with a couple of guys and looked what happened.....but I would say say need a rework of their site to say the least and a better marketing strategy. This only important if you spent a wad of money on reels and 2 years from now they are belly up and ya need parts.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. stella marina

stella marina Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    I actually recently bought a reel from the seller mentioned. I haven't used it yet but I look forward to it. the reason he was selling was because he was moving toward Accurate because of a sponsorship of some kind. He wasn't get rid of them because he didn't like them. he said they worked great, he was just trying something else. I really like the feel of the ergo handle, although it doesn't have the eye appeal. the drag lever is different, it doesn't seem to have a spot that stops at strike.
    and they service their lifetime warranty reels for only 20 bucks. That is affordable!

6. leadslinger

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    My friend has the 1589 I was messing w/ it and theres a similarity w/ the Avet and Accurate in this model more towards the Accurate, its a nice reel but like in an earlier post ( what if ) this place decides to vanish good luck w/ parts maybe I'll pick one up used to start off w/ and be hard on it . OK anyone have one used for sale ,,,,,

7. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    here was a guy in classified selling all of his. Either a great deal, or a reason to be suspicious.

Nothing about my sale of the reels was suspicious, like the other poster said I am moving on to try some Accurates. The Release reels worked great for me for the season I used them. The lifetime warranty was very nice as well.

8. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I have checked them out in person, and there is an indent for a strike position, just no marking on the frame. They appear to be very high quality in their construction with some innovative ideas like the bowed frame for more line clearance. If I was in the market for a small single speed, I'd seriously consider them along side an Avet SX or MX. Chark Bait has a pretty good description of the reels on their site.

-Connor

9. leadslinger

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    If I read the drag weight right the 1589 is @ 30# that makes it stronger than the Avet HX @ 28#.
    Im looking into trying one out wonder if they'll be @ FHLB next weekend.

10. noa

noa Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Ke Ola Hou
    Here is my breakdown of the reel. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/release-reel-sg-the-inside-view.531234/#post-3343481. I'm going back in to look further and will be doing a comparisoin between their earlier version and the now production version.

For those who know me know that I'm only a reel tech and am not affiliated with Release Reels. Mine was given to me from a trade for servicing a few reels. My buddy traded me the reel because it has a 6:1 gear ratio and he didn't like hoisting up 3# balls used for salmon trolling with that kind of gear ratio.

With the lifetime warranty, I though I'd give it a try...although I don't know if this has affected my warranty...

The high drag numbers is due to a Thrust or Angular Contact Bearing for the pinion bearing. I will look at that when I expand on my internal view right up. This is the one thing that you could possibly change on an Avet to boost the drag numbers...but my research of the bearings lead me down a $50-$100 bearing, if I can find the right size, and assuming that Avet sideplates were designed for that kind of load.

11. hooksetter6

hooksetter6 Member

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    No Name
    Thanks noa,

Your write up was right on point, exactly the info I have been looking for! I will now order bothe the SG and LG reels. What really sealed the deal for me was the drag cam. I have a Canyon and hate the Drag Curve. This should be what I am looking for.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming, especially if you get your hands on an LG. - Larry

12. craigen

craigen Got Spooled

Name:
    Craig
    Boat:
    none

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  13. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I worry about these reels for a couple reasons. One is that the sideplate screws are **aluminum** and, I would imagine, easy to strip out. The handle screw is also aluminum and held in place with Loctite, not a lock screw. Finally, at least at first, they came with **greased** ceramic bearings, meaning their free spool was horrible. That said, these reels show a lot of promise, but I'm not ready to fish one.

14. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    That looks sexy! Where is the cross bar? Hmmm, that base plate/Reelseat better be heavy or I can see the side plates twisting. . .

image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  15. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    More to the point: There's really no reason to eliminate the cross bars. Topless has its advantages but front and rear cross bars wouldn't interfere with anything and would make the reel much stronger.

16. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Actually cross bars are closer to
    The spool than the reel foot and when vertical jigging on anything but a super narrow reel most people tend to let their line bunch up in the center or to either side of the spool and the line binds on the cross bars, that's why there was a call for no cross bars.

J.AkuHed likes this.
  17. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    That makes sense, the Okuma Makaira SEAs have their cross bars machined out to allow for line build up.

pomoxis and lowprofile like this.
  18. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood Asshole

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Boat:
    yours
    Any update on performance of these reels?

19. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I own a release SG, and yes, it is for sale

From my experience, the 30lbs of drag is complete BS. This is a perfect 25-30lb reel. After about 13 pounds of drag on the scale, you start to get binding while turning the handle. After about 16lb, you lose freespool, and you get a lot of binding.

It is not as shiny as an Avet, I have no idea what that means in terms of machining/anodizing, but it is what it is. Some people might actually like that more.

It does not scratch easy, which is great.

The spool has been machined to have an extremely small radius, much smaller than the other reel manufacturers. This means that you can get a lot more line. I have about 350 yards of 50lb izorline spectra, with room for about 75 yards of 25lb mono. In comparison, on my Avet MXL, I have about 240 yards of 50lb izorline spectra, with room for a 100 yard topshot of 25lb mono.

Also, the reel body is curved, so your line will not hit the body, if you stack up all your line on one side or something like that.

The rod clamp has a built in hook-keeper. The lever can also be used as a hook-keeper due to the nature of its design.

The drags are really smooth at lower settings, which is why I say its a really good 25-30lb reel.

The handle is very interesting, but very comfortable. I had the original power handle at first, which was really nice, but not for me. I changed to the silicon? magnum handle, which I like a whole lot more.

They have a lifetime warranty.

I found it interesting that they have greased drags. Not greased and then wiped, I mean wet with grease.

And that is my analysis. I havent caught any huge fish on it, but I have caught a few 15-20 pound mahi and 20-30 pound yellowfin last season. It handled them great, really really smooth drags. And I bet the line capacity would be a huge advantage on a bigger fish.

Check out my post, if your interested in buying one, I am trying to sell mine.
    Thanks
    -Aren

20. ROSSOLY

ROSSOLY Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    N/A
    thanks for taking the time to write your review. i was interested in them but i think ill look elsewhere.