Abaco

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I allow myself one dumb question per day. Here goes. Where/where are the regulations on limits for LR boats out of SD? I understand there's the "a dorado is worth 2.5 fish", etc. Do international limits apply? I did hear that game wardens are greeting returning boats now. I've been out of it for a while and I know regs change. And, perhaps this is been discussed here lately(?) Thanks in advance, guys. Seems like if a dodo is worth 2.5 there's a need for some "strategery" during longer trips.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Latter half or so of this thread answers your questions.

My strategy with dodo's is a barbless or even hookless lure with none kept. Gotta get in on the fun when they're wide open, but just don't want any for the freezer on a 10-day.

Reactions: FishRock

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Reactions: FishRock

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
200 miles from any land in Mexican waters. So any claimed Mexican island has 200 miles. International waters do get involved when traveling to Clipperton but US waters are at the border.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Thanks guys for the very prompt response. Really appreciate it. Reading to do tonight...

What are the hooks dejur these days? I usually load up on Owner. Really like them. But I see some other offerings have hit the market in the past few years.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks guys for the very prompt response. Really appreciate it. Reading to do tonight...

What are the hooks dejur these days? I usually load up on Owner. Really like them. But I see some other offerings have hit the market in the past few years.
Pretty much application specific. Need to specify angling method, species and size range to get specific hook recommendations. Owner, Mustad, Eagle Claw and Quickrig all make quality hooks with a dud or two in the lineup.

This is worth a read.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
To clarify, I recently verified online with CA and MX regs:

In CA, the daily bag limit is 20 fish total per person per day with no more than 10 of one species.
  • BFT/Lingcod are 2 per day,
  • Halibut is 5 per day south of Point Sur (Monterey County),
  • YFT/BigEye/Albacore/Dorado/Rockfish are 10 per day
In Mexico, the limit is a total of ten fish per person per day, with no more than 5 of a single species. All multi-day trips longer than 2 days are a 30 fish limit maximum.
  • Billfish, Shark and Giant Seabass (Stereolepis gigas), of which only 1 specimen from this group is allowed per day and they count as 5 toward the overall 10 fish limit.
  • Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad or Tarpon, Gulf Grouper (Mycyteroperca jordani) and Blue Fin Tuna (Thunnus orientals), of which only two samples from this group are allowed per day and they count as 5 toward the overall 10 fish limit.
Unclear how or why a CA DFW officer could/would enforce MX regs, but I would not push your luck and make sure you do not exceed CA regs. According to what I read online, you have fewer restrictions in CA and are allowed to catch more fish per day overall. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted anything.

Thanks!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I allow myself one dumb question per day. Here goes. Where/where are the regulations on limits for LR boats out of SD? I understand there's the "a dorado is worth 2.5 fish", etc. Do international limits apply? I did hear that game wardens are greeting returning boats now. I've been out of it for a while and I know regs change. And, perhaps this is been discussed here lately(?) Thanks in advance, guys. Seems like if a dodo is worth 2.5 there's a need for some "strategery" during longer trips.
You have to have a masters degree in Quantum physics, to understand how the Dorado limits work out nowadays!

Reactions: Abaco

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
You have to have a masters degree in Quantum physics, to understand how the Dorado limits work out nowadays!
I have scratched the surface on quantam physics and realized I'd have to do a fair amount of drugs to get into it correctly...

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
Jeff nailed it right above your post... no quantum physics required. Pretty simple and straightforward, IMHO.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
3 north of conception 5 south I believe
Thanks for the clarification, Mullet! I forget because I live north of Point Sur.

From CA DFW: "The recreational fishery for California halibut (Paralichthys californicus) remains open year-round. The daily bag and possession limit is three (3) fish north of Point Sur, Monterey County, and five (5) fish south of Point Sur, Monterey County. The minimum size limit is 22 inches total length"

- Jeff Burroughs