Reflective Mylar finish????? How ??????

Phishface

Apr 9, 2012
crockett/CA/Contra Costa
Name
Jerome Ranft
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
How is the shiny mylar finish applied to heavy bottom fishing jigs? What is it? how is it applied?

IMG_8781.JPG

Upvote 0

Phishface

Apr 9, 2012
crockett/CA/Contra Costa
Name
Jerome Ranft
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Thanks for the info tanner.s how can I get my hands on a shrink wrap that is that reflective? Do you guys know where to get highly reflective material like that?

Thanks

Jerome.

Upvote 0

Phishface

Apr 9, 2012
crockett/CA/Contra Costa
Name
Jerome Ranft
Boat
13' Boston Whaler
Great leads you guys, thank you both. I know someone out there has had experience doing this, I just don't want to go down the wrong path. I've cast enough lead jigs this weekend to last me for two years of Rock Cod and Ling Cod fishing, I'm sick of painting jigs with a rattle can paint. I want to learn how to achieve a highly reflective finish and Vinyl or foil might just be the ticket.

IMG_8783.JPG

Reactions: 998R
Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I have had some pretty good luck with holographic glitter suspended in epoxy. I have also used clear paint with glitter in it and then coated with clear epoxy. I know it's not what you are asking for but thought I would share.

Upvote 0

998R

May 22, 2008
    san diego
    Name
    M
    Boat
    Blue Monkey, BM2
    I've done this before with rockfish jigs.

Gold leaf, they make different colors too(silver).

Then clear coat. Done.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Vinyl bumper paint works pretty darn good. Fast an easy, just let it dry a long time before you handle it. $9.10 shipped on Amazon Prime.

PlastiKote 615 Chrome Bumper Paint - 12 Oz.

Upvote 0

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
    Jun 3, 2004
    Rancho San Diego
    www.CalRealtySD.com
    Name
    Yusef
    Boat
    None
    Try sublimation and then clear coat. You can achieve colors this way as well. Also water slide graphics like they dip guns would be the ticket.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Turner's sells the shrinkwrap,pricey though,theres also a member here who sells the powder coat paint you bake on in the oven.look through the lure building threads.

Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2006
    Nor*Cal
    Name
    Art Garcia
    Boat
    rowboat
    http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/27948-how-to-foil-a-jig-like-this/

You can buy scale pattern reflective tape by the foot at tap plastics, cheaper than a tackle shop. Ive also used shiny aluminum hvac tape. Rockfish and lings wont care.

And glitter (including aerosol glitter paint) sounds like a great idea until it gets everywhere and makes a friggin mess. Had tnat stuff blowin around my backyard for a week. Worst idea ive had lol.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

robn

Jan 5, 2015
    SF, LA, SD
    Name
    robn
    Boat
    yes
    old thread but heres how they do it in case you didnt get help.
    the film is sold in rolls on ebay now and through embossing suppliers. on ebay its sold under holographic nails.

for metal lures you use a glue that activates with heat. its sold through screen printing suppliers or you can experiment with other glues such as spray mounts ect.
    you spray the lure roll on the tape put it in a heat press and let it bond
    pull it out and rip off the plastic backing. your lure is now holo taped.
    on a budget you can make a clamp or padded vise, glue up the jig, clamp it and let it sit until the glue sets
    then rip off the plastic.

hope that helps.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    If it's just a reflective finish over rattlecan you want a few coats of gloss clear acrylic, or if they make it, clear engine enamel, would work well. It won't resist chipping from bites, etc. as well as the mylar wrap but it's not nearly as intensive or specialized in materials. You can get either, or both, from Home Depot.

Upvote 0