bobsled

Consumer
  • May 31, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    N/A
    What current Penn reels would you guys recommend for fishing Wahoo on bait (40#) and bombs/jigs (50#)? Most likely going to use my old school Calstar 610 (bait) and 610H (bombs) if this matters.

TIA

Reactions: woodfish330

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    IMO, for bait, a 25N size (Fathom or Torque) should do nicely as a 40# setup.

For bomb/jigs, it's more bout the inches per turn, and you want to have a "large barrel" with a good (fast) gear ratio. The 25N is probably good here too and I've seen people do well with them, but I've seen quite a few 40Ns be the reel of choice for this application.

Reactions: wahoononi
    Upvote 0

Wahoover

• Jan 5, 2005
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    jack snipe
    Boat
    Long Range
    Single speed Fathom 25N star drag would be my first choice from their current lineup for both applications, but I would have one specifically for each line class, since I like to run a 60 yard topshot of mono for casting jigs/bombs. If you don't mind casting spectra with a short floro leader then you use the same reel for both 40# and 50#. Another single speed option is the narrow Senator 113HN (formerly the Baja Special), which has caught a fair share of wahoo although you have to wind crazy fast.

Two speed lever drag options are more plentiful, but is overkill for wahoo fishing unless you are in an area with possible larger tuna that you could hook up incidentally while targeting wahoo. 25NLD2, 30NLD2 and 40NLD2 Fathom or Torques would all work. A lot of guys seem to like the 40NLD2, but I found I couldn't cast jigs as well with that than my 25N which fits my hand better. The 40N would match up well with you 610H, and you could easily fish 60# bait with that setup as well. I had both the 610 and the 610H at one point and both caught wahoo.

Back to bait, I fish 25# or 30#, and I use a smaller reel like a single speed TRQ 12 or TRQ 15. A FTH 15 star, 15LD2 or 15XNLD2 would be good bait options for 30# imo.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    For throwing the iron I don't like any of the Penn reels and I have two full sets of Torques. I use a Avet HXJ Raptor. For bait you can just about use any reel you like. It just depends on how much abuse you can handle

Reactions: fishstomp
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    The readers here have plenty of good advice!
    I'll just add my "personal" choices when fishing wahoo.
    25-pound bait= FTHII15SD
    30-pound bait= TRQ15LD2
    40-pound bait= TRQ25NLD2
    40-pound surface iron= FTHII25NSD [6-1 version]
    50-pound [mono] bombs/iron= TRQ40NLD2
    When feeling nostalgic, will throw the above bombs/iron on a U.S. Senator US113N
    80-pound [braid] bombs/iron= TRQ40NLD2

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Fathom 40nldhs for throwing bombs. 7.1:1!

A phenomenal reel if you just want to get a bite; the retrieve speed is breathtaking!
    However, it presents a bit of a challenge once a decent-size fish is hooked and is resisting vigorously.

C
    ChicoBob
    True. Definitely not for everyone.
    Upvote 0
    W
    woodfish330
    Combine that with a 10' rod.... and your a gluten for punishment for sure..... lol. What we are willing to give up..... to get bit!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I favor bigger reels. Chose the FTHII40SDP for surface iron. Gears, 4.8:1, better for me for swimming the jig. I like the width and like fishing a long topshot of mono. Mine was filled by the vendor with 40 lb mono and I’m still using that, but will probably remove it in favor of backing it with 65 lb solid Pro Spec as I have a 500 yard spool of it in the garage. Top it with 100 yards of 40 lb mono.

Wahoo Jigs or Bombs

Sticking with the Star Drag Fathom here. FTHII40SD. Gears on this one, 6:1. Fishing Wahoo, best color is fast. I would spool up with enough spectra to allow room for that longer topshot of 50 lb mono.

Bait

FTH15LD2, 50 lb solid spectra and about 30-50 feet of 30 lb mono. Tie on a wire leader and let her fly.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Trust me, you want a 2-speed reel for true 40# bait is my 2 cents.

No one likes a 25N star drag better than me but to really get the most out of 40# test leader you need 2 speeds, imo.

3/0 sized reels for 30# (ie 25N Star).
    4/0 narrow reels for 40# (ie 40N LD2),.

And anyone that doesn't like throwing surface iron with a 25N just hasn't done it much, imo.

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I’ve got a 100 wahoo under my belt…
    haven’t been Long Range fish’n in 10 years.
    I have 8’-9’ jig sticks …
    My new reel list… I don’t throw bombs, I throw iron & bait… I use 40# mono.
    My new reel list…
    Accurate’s 500 & 600N 6:1 star drags.
    Thorium 20 … my old favorite.
    Penn Fathoms two speeds…
    15 Fathom
    25N Fathom
    40N Fathom
    MK 10II SEa Okuma
    Cavalla 12II Okuma
    Your preference?
    Upvote 0
    johndtuttle
    johndtuttle
    40N fathom is going to move your iron faster than anything else in that group and will get bit by Wahoo more. Just hope a big tuna doesn't grab your iron. Then you'll want a big 2-speed.

Best of all worlds might be a 40NLD2 for speed AND catching.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I have two Torque 25n star drags for throwing iron and bombs and a 25 for my surface iron jig stick for my go to wahoo set ups. If I go to bait it will either be with my Torque 12 star drag and 30lb or a 15xnld2 for 40lb. Wahoo are good for a strong first run and then pretty easy after that so I don’t feel the need for a two speed reel although the new Torque 2speed reels are fantastic so you’re not giving up much freespool like older generation reels.

You can’t beat the 25n star drags with the 6.1 gears for wahoo. If you have one you know

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I hate bomb,
    Still throw Raiders, etc. But back in 2006+ I came up with a new idea after losing 16 jigs on one trip…
    Started using 1 1/2-2-3 oz tuna tough lead heads, the black hooks(not the cad plated) black hooks are sharper. Use an 9” sardine looking rubber tail on 18” of 44# single strand wire. They work good on the slide and just casting out, let ‘er sink then crank that 6:1 like hell.
    Upvote 0
    johndtuttle
    johndtuttle
    Solid advice.
    Upvote 0
    Yellowtail Dan
    Yellowtail Dan
    I stay away from the smaller 6xjr size jigs because of the higher percentage of getting hoo’d. I like the full size 6x and bigger jigs and sharpen the hooks. Gives the fish a bigger target so that when they hit in the middle it keeps them farther away from my 130lb FC leader. Then they just slide down the jig the the pointy good part.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    The readers here have plenty of good advice!
    I'll just add my "personal" choices when fishing wahoo.
    25-pound bait= FTHII15SD
    30-pound bait= TRQ15LD2
    40-pound bait= TRQ25NLD2
    40-pound surface iron= FTHII25NSD [6-1 version]
    50-pound [mono] bombs/iron= TRQ40NLD2
    When feeling nostalgic, will throw the above bombs/iron on a U.S. Senator US113N
    80-pound [braid] bombs/iron= TRQ40NLD2
    Steve; I see you recommend for 50 lb. for bombs and iron, for Wahoo, using a TRQ 40NLD2. Why not the Fathom 40 NLD2? What is the difference, besides the frame? The internals , I believe are very much the same. I currently have 3 Fathom 40's (2 at 50lb. & one at 60 lb.) and I am planning to use one of the 50lb. for throwing bombs and jigs. The retrieve of 42 inches per crank on the 40 is fairly good, and it is a 2 speed. Is the TRQ that much better for the price?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Steve; I see you recommend for 50 lb. for bombs and iron, for Wahoo, using a TRQ 40NLD2. Why not the Fathom 40 NLD2? What is the difference, besides the frame? The internals , I believe are very much the same. I currently have 3 Fathom 40's (2 at 50lb. & one at 60 lb.) and I am planning to use one of the 50lb. for throwing bombs and jigs. The retrieve of 42 inches per crank on the 40 is fairly good, and it is a 2 speed. Is the TRQ that much better for the price?

As noted, those are the specific reels I personally use.
    Nothing wrong with "subbing" an equivalent Fathom model into any of those slots.

Upvote 0