Reeling in multiple BFT at same time while trolling

bobafet1

May 17, 2021
Southern California
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Scout 235 XSF
Any tips on how to get this done without getting all tangled up? Do you start with the fish closest in and let line out for the others while keeping tension? Reason I ask is that I’ve hooked up while trolling over BFT when they’re boiling up top. But, we immediately reel in the other lines to focus on bringing one in. Just trying to up my tuna catching skills. Any info is appreciated.

Reactions: John Stidman

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
nii
goog.com
Name
go
Boat Name
Cabo 216
Hook up as many as you can!

When you are in your own boat it is alot easier to stay out of tangles. I used to fish commercial skiff albacore back in my 20's and we would have as many as 8 fish hooked up and soaking in the rod holders while the 3 of us worked em. If we had a problematic fish, we would just swap the rod and work on the problem fish. Never lost any fish to tangles at all the 2 years I did it.

Reactions: bobafet1
Upvote 0

bobafet1

May 17, 2021
Southern California
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Scout 235 XSF
Watch how the guys do it on Wicked Tuna.
Ive never seen an episode. I guess I’ll have to check it out.

We ran into BFT yesterday and brought a 100-120lb fish in and quickly reeled in the other lines to focus on just the one fish. Just want to be ready the next time we run into a group and we decide to jus let all the lines get hit. I’m learning I guess.

Reactions: kzaam1
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat Name
Jasmine
Ive never seen an episode. I guess I’ll have to check it out.
I’m halfway kidding. The earlier seasons started to become almost a little too repetitive. But this season has been pretty awesome with some pretty incredible footage of some guys going out of Oregon Inlet at Hatteras and almost sinking their boats.

Seems like you’ve got the general process down in place with clearing your lines as quickly as you can though.

Reactions: bobafet1
Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
Jun 14, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat Name
Grady White Lori Ann
Just get them to bite first, then figure it out. But keep the boat in gear, don't let the lines cross, hold the rod, go under/over as needed and try to laugh when you lose one every now and then.

Upvote 0