I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Good morning all,

A little late on this morning on the first Report. Sorry, We got bit at 6 AM on Yellow fin and just kept getting bit. WE ARE ON THE FISH!!!!!!! My first fish came on a Jersey Jay 230 Gram Pink and Glow White drop jig which got tagged about 3 times. I then went to a small Heru Popper and got a nicer grade on that. I then starting gaffing for others but what a great way to start the Tuna portion of our Gallagher/Excel trip. As a note we have not even reached Justin's desired destination and we are already on the 5th trolling team.

I LOVE THIS SCHIDT.

Jamie

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Another stop in the books. I changed out to a small Green and chartruese
Halco Roosta Popper and it was MAULED many times. I am Releasing everything to fight another day except for one better grade which I am bringing back for someone who asked for a whole fish. The crew is Gutting and Bleeding the fish placing them in the Excel's enormous RSW's for perfect Sushi Grade Tuna buffets for those who like such things. 8 Day trips allow for all RSW fish unless the passenger really prefers theirs frozen. It's your trip do what you wanna do....

Enjoy the day

Jamie

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Kewl getting live reports straight from the boat, Excel is setting the bar a notch higher. Say hi to the crew for me especially Brandon if he's on who paid off ALL previous debts last trip with amazingly quick fixing of several reels I managed to REALLY mess up!!!
Jim

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
And the Hits keep a comin. Some Dorado and a bunch of smaller grade tuna with a few better's mixed in to keep it interesting. The hot troll jigs are versions of cedar plugs with the Zuchini Cedar getting hit both rotations for me. So far I have not thrown a single bait today and have had my share of fish on both Poppers and drip Jigs. Even better is each stop it is pretty much just Deitmar and myself up on the bow messing with artificials and we are having a blast. Weather is perfect, the ocean color is clearing and the water temps are pretty much how we would have choreographed this trip. The Excel guys have this thing dialed in as good as it gets. Between stops I have just enough time to give the play by play. Though I do not believe it is appropriate to tell everyone where we are heading (I will leave that up to Justin) I can give the info on what is working for us. Lets just say everyone is having a blast.

Jamie

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
May 28, 2011
San Diego
Name
michael higens
Boat
n/a
Thanks for the rolling reports. Sounds like your daving a blast. I'll be out there tomorrow on a 5 day with the RP crew.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Hi Bill,

It only gets worse. We are now well into our 3rd round of trolling rotations with most stops being 3 or 4 troll jigs getting bit at the same time. The quality of fish is getting bigger as we head to our desired locations. Worse yet I am having to remind folks to be aware of how many fish to keep because this is only the first day even close to our desired zone and we have a long trip left ahead of us. As usual the boys on deck are keeping the Chaos to a minimum. Our passengers are very, very happy and we have only just begun.... Carpenters???? As a note, I have gotten bit on every troll with Cedar plugs. So far one clear, one Zucchini and this last one Black and Purple. Maaan it has been a long time since I have not put out a Marauder but the conditions are looking good for Wahoo so we will see.

As a note the internet is blazing fast right now

Jamie

SALTYDAWG

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 1, 2003
Casa DE Oro
www.saltydawgcustomrods.com
Name
Bill
Boat
sold it
Hi Bill,

It only gets worse. We are now well into our 3rd round of trolling rotations with most stops being 3 or 4 troll jigs getting bit at the same time. The quality of fish is getting bigger as we head to our desired locations. Worse yet I am having to remind folks to be aware of how many fish to keep because this is only the first day even close to our desired zone and we have a long trip left ahead of us. As usual the boys on deck are keeping the Chaos to a minimum. Our passengers are very, very happy and we have only just begun.... Carpenters???? As a note, I have gotten bit on every troll with Cedar plugs. So far one clear, one Zucchini and this last one Black and Purple. Maaan it has been a long time since I have not put out a Marauder but the conditions are looking good for Wahoo so we will see.

As a note the internet is blazing fast right now

Jamie
Dude, get me a wahoo, I'll meet you at the dock :D

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Great stuff Jamie ..??how is our boy Jon doing??

You using spin gear or conventional......??

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Great stuff Jamie ..??how is our boy Jon doing??

You using spin gear or conventional......??
Poppers on Spinner and drop jig on 2 speed Accurate 665. Both were working great but not as well in the afternoon. I still have not thrown a live bait.

Jon got his first troll fish on his 3rd rotation and it was a nicer grade.

Jamie

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Okay,

Capt. Justin slows the boat down as Ralph Mikkelson hooks into something. Capt. say he sees a small school of Yellowtail and decides we are going to sit on them just to see what happens. 1 hour and 15 minutes later we have 150 or more nice grade Yellowtail who came for a visit and stayed until they passed away while enjoying the hospitality of the big Excel.

This Gallagher charter just seems to bring in great groups of folks as once again everyone was respectful of each other and just enjoyed incredible fishing and catching.

I will be posting Pics..... I think, taken with numerous folks cameras so lets see how that goes. In the mean time I hope you all are enjoying the reports made within minutes of the action.

Jamie

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
this is pretty cool Jaime. having play by play reports is awesome. thanks for taking the time to post and i cant wait for the pics. how can you do a trip report after all the mini reports? either way im loving it and i hope the Intrepid gets the wifi going too.. this might make me jump on the excel now.

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
Hey Jaime, any way you can put pictures up of the size poppers and colors you were using?Thanks

TShooter

Team Cheesy Poof
Mar 24, 2004
Alpine
Name
Robert Peterson
Boat
Yak, Cheesy Poof
Well done, thanks for taking the time to report. I know it is hard to do this when the bite is going on. Kind of like dropping the rod and picking up a camera...

T

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
We left the ridge around 10 am this morning heading..... Well we are heading that way.... We have around 400- 450 mixed fish aboard and now have plenty of time to hunt for trophies. Somehow this charter every year just has a great time and good fishing but more important we have a blast. Folks could have fished through the night and caught big Yellowtail but most folks called it a night exhausted from pulling on as many fish as they chose. Started again at 6 A.M. with a continuation of a WFO bit on bigger yellowtail. Anything and everything worked.

I will try and post some pictures of Jigs and Poppers that worked for me when the fishing was not quite WFO as we could have thrown a cigarette with a hook in it this morning and yesterday evening and it would have gotten bit.

The great news is we have the afternoon to relax, make some Wahoo leaders, ring up some more poppers and stick baits, nap, eat, chat or ???
We could not have choreographed this trip any better if we tried.

Jamie

yft1979

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
On the water reports are badass! Keep them coming! Especially since you guys will be at alijos according to the excel website!

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Sounds truly epic!

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Sorry about the day missed in our ongoing reports but I guess I was having too good a time aboard the Excel/Gallagher 8 day charter. As if that is a shock. The party starts at 5:30 am and does not quite until the last man is asleep. Crazy and Fun.

Yesterday we woke up early to see the sight which always amazes me. The 3 rocks of Alijos. Just something about going out here, regardless of how the fishing is, just makes me feel at home. So after 2 solid days of limit type fishing things looked good for the Rocks. Justin set us up where he wanted to as we were the only boat out here. Thus we got the Alpha, Beta and any other spots we wanted. Now that is cool.

Morning started off with a bang. Small, medium and big tuna boiling around the boat and showing themselves on the meter. Unfortunately the sharks also made their appearance and their presence known to those unfortunate and fortunate anglers who hooked up to the bigger models. As usual these sharks know what they want and are willing to wait for the big bites from big tuna. Must be something about the quality of big tuna in a sharks Sushi diet as they leave the smallers alone and eat the bigguns. We did manage a few of the medium models and I am not sure how we did on biggers but soon enough Justin had enough of watching a beautiful grade of tuna turn into fish head soup so off a trolling we went.

By no means was it wide open but we did get great flashes of hot Wahoo action. All 5 trolling rods could go off and most of the time at least 2. As usual, with Wahoo, the carnage was vast and mighty. Raider jigs met their demise as lines were bit clean through. Hooks, even wired, came back bare needing a new hook and a bit of polish for the ego. None of us were spared the indignities of Wahoo fishing. However, we did still get spots of mixed tuna and wahoo until dark. Very fun day all in all but the rocks only rarely give up shark free WFO bites. Thus we will stick it out here until noon and then join the ranks of the offshore crowd looking for the promised land of Blue fin and Yellowfin. Hopefully those promises will come to pass but so far this trip goes down as another wonderful and exceptional charter where everyone is having a great time and enjoying each others company.

Throughout the trip we gave away a host of goodies including a few Avet reels, Blackwater Flouro, Marauders, etc. along with some other stuff perhaps not quite as expensive but still fun. I will leave those to your imagination. However,we would like to thank Ringedhooks.com for ringed hooks and Spanyid Raiders, Bob Sands Tackle, Eric's Tackle, Mario from Sportsman's Seafood, Avet Reels and some others to be named later for always helping out with goodies on this charter. And of course the new and old staff from the grand Queen of the fleet "Excel" for ALWAYS providing the best on the water experience nature will allow.

Jamie

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Jamie how are you and Jon doing with your spinners?? just sent in my deposit for the Jig N Pop charter.......ask Justin what he thinks about it....the guys at the Excel office are stoked.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Hi David,

The guys on the Boat are Psyched for that trip. They all love fishing artificials and are really looking forward to seeing how that trip unfolds.

Jon has hooked into some big fish but sometimes things do not go according to hoyle but he has lots of fish to take home. We are on our way to the Bluefin/Yellowfin offshore area so we will have 2 days there.

We have numerous spinners on board and most of the guys have done real well with them including tuna and wahoo. I am having a blast with mine using poppers, raiders and stickbaits. I will get more into that later.

Talk soon.

Jamie

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
Jamie--you are setting a new standard for reporting on SD long range fishing.I know this has been said already, but it has been too long in coming. IMHO, if boats want to compete, they will have to offer this this type of reporting. You words are concise and current about HOW the fishing is and what is working. No more bullshit, and now it's accurate and timely. Of course, we all realize that what is news today will not necessarily hold true for tomorrow.
Thanks Excel and thanks Jamie. It is greatly appreciated.
Lowell

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Jamie--you are setting a new standard for reporting on SD long range fishing.I know this has been said already, but it has been too long in coming. IMHO, if boats want to compete, they will have to offer this this type of reporting. You words are concise and current about HOW the fishing is and what is working. No more bullshit, and now it's accurate and timely. Of course, we all realize that what is news today will not necessarily hold true for tomorrow.
Thanks Excel and thanks Jamie. It is greatly appreciated.
Lowell
Me too Jamie... Great stuff Just like fresh sashimi...

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I had a tough time at the rocks and the tone was set the first morning. Mid morning I get a bite at the starboard side of the Stearn and it takes me for a walk across to port side. I'm gaining line and the deckhand Steve comments it appears to be a small fish. Upon hearing this, he shifts into overdrive not slowing down until I have about a dozen wraps on my spool (400 yards).

Fearing I am about to lose both fish and spectra, I clamp down with both fingers and magically turn the fish. I get about twenty cranks when the fish says enough and decides to end this game. With no more than 5 cranks, I again clamp down but there is no turning this hoss and my leader broke. I can officially say now I've been spooled.

I quickly retie and my haste is my downfall. I quickly hookup again and my connection fails on yet another good fish. Other than one lone yellow, I was an "ofer" at the rocks. We spent a few hours today there today before heading north. Our reward was one tuna for Oggy Roberts that is a jackpot fish. I guessed 100 but one deckhand guessed 80? We also caught 6 or 7 huge wahoo with one pushing 70#. This smoker nearly spooled the trolling rod and the unsuspecting angler needed help to land this monster.

It was a pick bite at best at the rocks. The current was ripping which lead to some of the worse tangles I've seen. I wasn't alone in the ofer category. Most guys caught their fish on the troll. Those that hooked up a fish had better than even odds at losing it to the sharks.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
Hi All,

Thank you for the nice words and yes this internet thing is going to be the real deal. Even folks who spoke against it are now finding the ability to rest their minds, even for a few minutes, regarding the events unfolding at home are admitting the technology has its place in Long Range fishing.
As I noted previously the ability to NOT come home to a pile of unanswered or deleted Emails or making sure work or home issues will NOT be haunting you for days after your arrival back is going to make life just that much easier for the majority of anglers. The ability to converse with loved ones or Business Clients or ??? at important times, previously known or unknown, should bring a much needed new and larger clientele
base to an industry much in need of such things. If us old timers really want this industry to survive then like it or not we have to adapt. I know a few folks are not crazy about having internet but you might want to think honestly about the long term picture for the survival of the long range industry. Those who choose to ignore the realities of life will just slowly or quickly fade away.

The news for today is we started the day anchored up in what appeared to be a choice spot. The Supreme was right next to us but alas the fish were no shows. The good news is Justin made the right decision to up anchor and do some trolling around. It did not take long for our first jig strikes on the Marauders. We did okay throughout the early morning and Justin called it a day at the Stones about 10AM as the Rocks were being a bit stingy. Some interesting new colors worked including the Pink and Whites one of which landed one of the biggest Wahoo I have ever seen and I have seen them well over 70 pounds. It will be interesting to see what it weighs in at on the dock scale but it is a good one as well as a number other of excellent grade Hoo. Auggie put his first bait in the water on one of the stops and received a two gaff Tuna model after a short fight. I did not see it so I am not sure how big it was but it sounds like the biggest on the boat so far.

I know you all feel sorry for us having to endure good to great fishing and a great group of folks. To make matters worse I realized, as We have been traveling back to the offshore tuna grounds, we have been dealing with 75 - 85 degree weather, flattish seas and generally fantastic weather. No baking in the hot sun as it has been perfectly overcast for the last few days with just a slight breeze. The bad news is there was really not enough wind for the kites other than a short bit for the first two in the rotation. Pat was number one but a shark made his Kite caught tuna Number 2. Though Jon was the second batter he only spent a few minutes on the kite before it was lights out done. In short, every fish on the boat was a non kite fish.

I will try and post some pics on a separate post as my lady Charly and Ray on the boat helped this techno challenged individual figure out how to down size high def photos in order to hopefully successfully up load them to the various sites.

It looks like the medium length long range fishing has begun in earnest. If you are on the fence about signing up with any of the operations now might be a good time to do so. The water temps are right and the fish seem to be getting their bite on so best of luck to all of us.

Jamie

rodblder

Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
I had a tough time at the rocks and the tone was set the first morning. Mid morning I get a bite at the starboard side of the Stearn and it takes me for a walk across to port side. I'm gaining line and the deckhand Steve comments it appears to be a small fish. Upon hearing this, he shifts into overdrive not slowing down until I have about a dozen wraps on my spool (400 yards).

Fearing I am about to lose both fish and spectra, I clamp down with both fingers and magically turn the fish. I get about twenty cranks when the fish says enough and decides to end this game. With no more than 5 cranks, I again clamp down but there is no turning this hoss and my leader broke. I can officially say now I've been spooled.

I quickly retie and my haste is my downfall. I quickly hookup again and my connection fails on yet another good fish. Other than one lone yellow, I was an "ofer" at the rocks. We spent a few hours today there today before heading north. Our reward was one tuna for Oggy Roberts that is a jackpot fish. I guessed 100 but one deckhand guessed 80? We also caught 6 or 7 huge wahoo with one pushing 70#. This smoker nearly spooled the trolling rod and the unsuspecting angler needed help to land this monster.

It was a pick bite at best at the rocks. The current was ripping which lead to some of the worse tangles I've seen. I wasn't alone in the ofer category. Most guys caught their fish on the troll. Those that hooked up a fish had better than even odds at losing it to the sharks.
Jon, what pound test were you using when you got spooled and on what reel?

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Jim, I had 40# test. I was using a short top shot and about 400 yards of spectra.

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I do want to compliment the group of anglers we had on board. A number of the regulars couldn't make the trip but the new guys fit in nicely with the core group of anglers. I am quite proud to consider myself now one of the regulars. We fish hard and them have some well mannered fun. Pat G. And Jamie are wonderful hosts. They give away a few gag gifts as well as a number of very good gifts. Jamie/Pat, thanx for putting up with this redneck from the south. The good lord willing and the creeks don't rise, you'll find me back again next year!