Reel Suggestions for Phenix Axis 720 X2H (40-100)

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
Hello everyone,

Looking to pair my Phenix Axis 720 X2H 40-100 with either a Penn International 20 VISX or Makaira 20. I currently have a Shimano Speedmaster 16 loaded w/ 80# Hallow-Ace on that rod. I got the rod new for a really good deal and couldn’t pass up.

Here are my other setups too:
•Phenix M1 Nanotube 15-35 7’6 w/ tranx 400 (50lb j braid)
•Phenix black diamond PSW760XH 30-80 w/ talica 12ii (420 yards izorline spectra 65#)
•Phenix black diamond PSW909XH 20-60 w/ tranx 500hg (320 yards maxcuatro 80#)

I’ve tried many nights and hours to find more research on those reels. I’ve felt both at Sav-On Tackle. Mainly looking to see if the reels are a good match with the 40-100# or should I have gotten the X3H 60-130 for these specific reels.

I have a 2 day trip planned in June which should be the bigger grade BFT 50 to whatever the captain is chasing.

Any info on these reels to rods would be awesome. Biased opinions welcomed, I’m a Shimano/Phenix guy if you couldn’t tell. (First post on BD btw)

Tight lines 🎣

LR Houdini
LR Houdini
I fish my MK 16 on a Calstar 775XH (60-120#)
Maybe a MK 15T 550 yds 60# hollow
My 15T’s on UC CX80 Raptor
MK 15T 4.7:1/2.1:1 & 31-40#’s
80# braid not sure but ask ?
The 15T smaller than MK16II
warranty Okuma 5 years
Charkbait vs Save-On same $ cost. Charkbait puts 1st 300 yds free, what’s tax rate Orange County ?
Reactions: tony38
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
Wanted to also add that line capacity is around 450 yards on Speed Master. Just don’t want to get another 16
I think a 20 is too big for the x2h. My Mak 16 is on a Centaur 76 w/80# and my 20 is on a Viper 76 w/100#. My last jigging BFT (128# last June) was on a Okuma pch-c-741xxxh with an HXW Raptor.
Got it. I’ll check out the Penn/Mak 16 at Sav-On Friday when I get out of work. Wondering if I should put 80# then splice 100# for peace of mind. Thank you once again for the fast response!

tony38
tony38
I bought the mak 16 and sav o tackle load it up with 580yards of 100lb braid powerpro depth meter, then I add a 30ft leader of 100 mono, Maks 5 years warranty vs penn 1year warranty
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
The axis x2h is more of a 60lb rod, maxed at 80. Its pulls really similarly to a uc raptor. I would pair it with a fathom 40n, mak 15t or a visx 12.
Awesome @F.I.S.H.Y The main concern is the braid capacity on this. Penn/Mak 16’s might give me more peace of mind when the run happens. I haven’t caught anything big on the Speed Master 16ii but have caught YFT on the Talica 12ii, biggest one 31#. Any bigger than 60+ I know I’ll need an extra couple hundred yards.

Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
I’ve got a speedmaster 25 on that rod. Seem to fit okay.
Rare to see a Speed Master user! How do you like the Speed Master 25 and rod under load with a big fish? Mind if I ask you the biggest fish you got on it? I have my doubts with bigger game on the SM. It handles YT and Rockfish great.

Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
I used to be a big phenix guy as well, switched over to UC and haven't looked back. The Mak 20 and 76 viper is really tough to beat for the big blue fish. My vote is mak 20 and heavier on the rod. Maybe save the 2x for a sinker rig. Good luck!
Reason for switching from Phenix to UC? Going to post the X2H and SM16 for funds towards a whole new setup now LOL. Thank you for the reply! Luckily I have a a month or so to get situated.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
West covina
Name
Nathan Kusumoto
Boat Name
N/A
Might just get the 20, slap it on the X2H, and pray when I hook a fish. Might walk out with a heavier rod during the buying of the 20. Thanks everyone for your inputs. More comments feel free to add in!

Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat Name
    Almost time
    Reason for switching from Phenix to UC? Going to post the X2H and SM16 for funds towards a whole new setup now LOL. Thank you for the reply! Luckily I have a a month or so to get situated.
    I was looking for a jigstick... didn't care for the axis 90j too bulky and heavy. Found the UC gp 90 reaper and was instantly sold. Sold my phenix rods and started collecting uc gp rods lol. I have owned most of them at this point... then pulled on the cx76viper had to get one of those as well. I also pulled on a new line coming out GPX series the there was an 80 raptor at the show this weekend and decided I need one of those as well.

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
    West covina
    Name
    Nathan Kusumoto
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I was looking for a jigstick... didn't care for the axis 90j too bulky and heavy. Found the UC gp 90 reaper and was instantly sold. Sold my phenix rods and started collecting uc gp rods lol. I have owned most of them at this point... then pulled on the cx76viper had to get one of those as well. I also pulled on a new line coming out GPX series the there was an 80 raptor at the show this weekend and decided I need one of those as well.
    Understandable! I have yet to actually try any other rods except a cal star (forget the model but I can ask). Didn't catch anything on it but I caught fish on my other phenix rods. Maybe one day I'll be able to try some setups on a sponsored trip this season.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    The Phenix axis fish at the lower end of the rating. IMO it's at home at 60lb. Now taken that into account you should be thinking a 60lb reel. A mak 20 or penn visx20 are 100lb reels. Check the long range section on 60lb reel at Guadalupe thats floating around in the forum right now. A lot of good info on reels that would pair great with that rod. If it were me it would be a mak15t or a penn visx 12 on the high end and best bang for your buck reel would be a penn fathom 40nld2.

Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
    West covina
    Name
    Nathan Kusumoto
    Boat Name
    N/A
    The Phenix axis fish at the lower end of the rating. IMO it's at home at 60lb. Now taken that into account you should be thinking a 60lb reel. A mak 20 or penn visx20 are 100lb reels. Check the long range section on 60lb reel at Guadalupe thats floating around in the forum right now. A lot of good info on reels that would pair great with that rod. If it were me it would be a mak15t or a penn visx 12 on the high end and best bang for your buck reel would be a penn fathom 40nld
    Will do! Going to look at it right now.

Upvote 0

ZMF

Dec 5, 2018
    Central valley
    Name
    Zenon
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft
    Rare to see a Speed Master user! How do you like the Speed Master 25 and rod under load with a big fish? Mind if I ask you the biggest fish you got on it? I have my doubts with bigger game on the SM. It handles YT and Rockfish great.
    Got the S.M. cause it was the only semi heavy duty reel in stock (Central Valley, CA) took it BFT fishing next day out of Santa Cruz. Dragged a 150#ish BFT to boat in 20 or so minutes. Oh… and I don’t know pretend to know what I’m doing.

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
    West covina
    Name
    Nathan Kusumoto
    Boat Name
    N/A
    Got the S.M. cause it was the only semi heavy duty reel in stock (Central Valley, CA) took it BFT fishing next day out of Santa Cruz. Dragged a 150#ish BFT to boat in 20 or so minutes. Oh… and I don’t know pretend to know what I’m doing.
    Nice! What rod did you pair it with? The majority vote is to get a different reel for the x2h I have.

Upvote 0

ZMF

Dec 5, 2018
    Central valley
    Name
    Zenon
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft
    It was a phenix 780xh, 30-80, only got it cause it was the heaviest available at the store. We effed up and high sticked it on that tuna at the boat, broke rod, lost fish, etc. Now the 25 is on a 720 2xh. (Free replacement) Like I said before I’m new at this and no expert by any means.

Reactions: nate___dog
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat Name
    10' Model T
    I was going to say a Talica 16, but since you already have its cousin, just keep it. If you really want a new reel for it a 40N or comparably sized Saltiga would be other options. I have a Tac 16 on a 780x2h and it's at most a 60lb rod where a Mak or VISX is going to be more reel than that rod can take advantage of.

The one nice thing going for that rod is that the tip's pretty flippy, and when coupled with one of the aforementioned reels with lighter weight spools you have something that can really flyline a sardine well. Which can be a really nice option when bigger bluefin actually decide to finally suck a sardine off the surface during the day. I've managed a handful of mid-100lb grade during the day doing just that. Not that it can't be done on heavier gear, but just makes it a touch easier on a dine which can give you a touch more luck.

Reactions: nate___dog
    Upvote 0

nate___dog

Aug 12, 2021
    West covina
    Name
    Nathan Kusumoto
    Boat Name
    N/A
    It was a phenix 780xh, 30-80, only got it cause it was the heaviest available at the store. We effed up and high sticked it on that tuna at the boat, broke rod, lost fish, etc. Now the 25 is on a 720 2xh. (Free replacement) Like I said before I’m new at this and no expert by any means.
    You live and learn. Phenix Rod warranties are the best so that I hear. Haven't went through one but the stories many people say actually made me stick with Phenix rods.

Upvote 0