Reel suggestions for 40 lb

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, May 5, 2016.

1. Dynomike

Dynomike Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    Hands down, Talica 12 2/speed

2. odnealtim

odnealtim Member

Name:
    tim
    Boat:
    19 searay
    I agree...if money is not an issue talica 12 speed...I have all talica and trinidads ,expensive but worth it to me..take care of them right and they will last you forever

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. kimbo

kimbo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Toe-knee
    Boat:
    21' cabo
    Metaloid 12II

4. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Andros 12IIA-Series!

5. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I would NOT use #40 for the bigger bluefin since the casualty rates are so high. The schools of bigger fish have some real large specimens and we are only seeing the midsize fish landed so far. Don't miss a lifetime fish by sizing too far down. I think the Fathom 40nld2 as mentioned earlier is a great reel for #50-60 and that's as light as I would go when targeting these fish. Note: the first cow caught on the O 95 thIs year.

I personally use short (5'-6') #80-100 flouro top shots on my 40nld2 for both flat falls and poppers since I feel it's a reaction bite. It's backed with #80 braid so I'm not using more than 20lbs of drag. Live bait is a different story, I feel more confident the fish will not inhale the bait, but crush it, thus making a good circle hook connection with the fish's jaw more possible. In this instance, the 50-60 pound makes more sense because they are likely to be pickier as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. Johnny Hirn

Johnny Hirn Member

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    Kayak
    You cant go wrong with the Penn Fathom series

7. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Cool in this case.....Okuma ANDROS 16II A-Series is the way to go....but if budget is not a factor....Okuma MAKAIRA 16Sea will be the Ultimate Reel..jmo..

8. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    If budget is not an issue and you are looking for absolute top of the line, then the Penn Torque TRQ25NLD2 is tough to beat, and the Torque TRQ40NLD2 is the way to go with 50-60 pound topshots.
    If budgetary considerations create a limitation, then the Penn Fathom FTH25NLD2 for 40-pound, and the Fathom FTH40NLD2 for 50-60 pound topshots give the most bang for the buck.

**I know I am repeating myself, but this post was revived from a year ago.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Well to me it comes down to line weight. The reel I like to use for 40-50lbs is a Saltiga 50 2-speed. For 60lbs, a Saltiga 60 2-speed, and for 80lbs and up, I use Makairas.

All of this is based on the drag I want to fish and the action of the rods I plan to use. If you are chasing bigger bluefin, I recommend using the heaviest line you and still get bit. Plus, don't under gun yourself on your rods.

Good luck!

10. Drago

Drago Member

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Any
    I have fathom 25, fathom 40N, and JX raptor

All 3 will handle 40lb. However the 40N and JX raptor can be bumped up to 50lb and handle it while the fathom 25 wouldn't go that far up. n

Main difference between jx raptor and fathom 40n is that jx raptor u can customize colors and costs more while the 40N is a beast out the gate.

So it comes down to whether u want customization and pay more or pay less and still have an equal quality beast just without the looks

colemans224 likes this.