tileordie

Jul 10, 2021
sacramento
Name
RICHARD BARATTA
Boat Name
Boulton
Hey Guys
I'm looking for some advice on a surface iron set up. I just bought a Phenix ais Hax 909 H 9' 20lb/60lb pole. I have 4 reels in stock and was wondering if anyone could tell me if one of these reels would match the rod. New to surface iron fishing but not new to fishing. I'll be fishing on the San Diego full day trips.
Avet sx6/4 two speed
Fury Boss 500 narrow
Avet Jx0.6:1
Avet Lx6 -MC
Thank you for your time.
Richard

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    THe Axis 909h fishes the lower end, i wouldn't wanna fish more than 30 with it. I wouldn't put anything bigger than a Fury 500 or Avet SX on mine. I dont really like lever drags with longer rods either, they hinder the performance, since you will mostly be casting.
    I would recommend ditching all those reels and look for a Fathom 15ii, which I think would be most comfortable with that rod.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    Okuma Tesoro 5 or Komodo 471 may fit your rod. Used the Komodo at Cedros and it handled nice size YT.

Upvote 0

tileordie

Jul 10, 2021
    sacramento
    Name
    RICHARD BARATTA
    Boat Name
    Boulton
    Thanks guys for your input, This is the first question I’ve ever asked and was amazed at all the great suggestions. I will strap on the the there mention that I have and give it a go at the park and see what flies best. Richard

Reactions: wahbam and Langosta
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    not crazy enough yet
    The only thing I would consider for surface iron (YT, Schoolies and Bass ie the classic Surface Iron targets) is a large LP reel like Penn Fathom LP or Lexa 400HD or Komodo 400.

Once you go LP you never go back. Too. Much. Fun.

Wahoo or larger models is another class of reel, imo.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wahbam
    Upvote 0

Latest posts