Reel Recommendations for my Rods??? Any and all input welcome.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
This is my first post, so if it were suited to a better section of the forum please let me know. I have not been fishing in almost 13 years (pray for my soul); I used to frequent the half-day, twilight, and overnight boats out of 22nd St. in San Pedro, during my teen years, but left to college in 2005 (Las Vegas); just got back to LA and my poles that were stored at my parents house.

Anyway, the reel game has changed since back then, so I wanted to hear people's opinions about the reels I have re-searched for my current rods and any reels you would recommend for my setup and use.

Any and all input welcome, good and bad...

USES:

1-3 day trips, Local Islands, and local in/offshore fishing; with the occasional trip to San Diego. Mainly fishing for yellowtail and tuna, with the calicos, barracuda, and bottom fish thrown in when the prizes are not in season or not biting.

My Rods:

Seeker 220 20#
Seeker 670 30#
Calstar 900M 30#
All Star 40-50#
Lamiglas 15#

Seeker 220, 8' 6" 15,(20),30

Going to be used for small to medium live bait fly lining. Looking at the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold STTBG30H model, for its casting ability. (I had a Daiwa SL20 on it before, great casting reel, but not enough drag for the 30# yellowtail around kelp.)

Seeker 670, 7' 20,(30),50

Going to be used for medium to large live bait fly lining and occasionally used for light yo-yo jigging. Looking at the larger capacity reels in the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold series, or stepping up to the Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag 1 Speed models.

Calstar 900M, 9' 30-40

Going to be used for surface jigging and occasionally for medium size live bait fly lining. Kind of stumped on this one. Used to have a Newell 338 on this, good casting but didn't like the way it reeled. Looking for a great casting reel in 30-40 pound line range, primarily 30#.

All Star Graphite Rod (off the rack) 7' 30,(40),50

Going to be used as my large live bait fly lining, heavy yo-yo jigging, and dropper-loop rod. Looking at Penn's Baja Special (New production models). Pretty set on this reel; as I can use it on larger, heavier setups, when I step up my gear for below the border San Diego trips.

Lamiglas Inshore, 7' 6" 12,(15),25

Going to be used for light live bait fly lining, and casting small jigs and soft baits.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
The reels may have changed but, in all likelihood, no one's told the fish. The Daiwa SL20 and Newell 338 are the only reels you've mentioned; do you have others? It may be possible to do maintenance and minor upgrades on your existing reels and bring some (possibly all) of them up to par.

Of course, if the $$$$ is just burning in your pocket, it's difficult to argue against a lineup of shiny new "bling" reels...

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
You don't specify a price range you need to stay within, though the reels that are mentioned gives some indication.

220 [very cool old-school blank!]
Penn Fathom FTH15 [Live Spindle, 25 pounds of drag]

Penn Fathom FTH30 [Live Spindle]

900M
Penn Fathom FTH25N- has the amazing "Live Spindle" feature, which lets it outcast all other reels in this category.

ASG73050
Penn Baja Special 113HN as listed is a good choice

LI761225
Penn Fathom FTH12- assuming you want a conventional and not a baitcaster [tonnage of other choices if you do].

Plenty of room for flexibility depending on exactly how much line you want each reel to hold; probably the biggest recent change is the size of reels due to how much braid you can fit on there under a topshot.
Also plenty of other good choices if your price range can slide up, or needs to slide down, or if you are thinking about a 2-speed on any of the combos.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
The reels may have changed but, in all likelihood, no one's told the fish. The Daiwa SL20 and Newell 338 are the only reels you've mentioned; do you have others? It may be possible to do maintenance and minor upgrades on your existing reels and bring some (possibly all) of them up to par.

Of course, if the $$$$ is just burning in your pocket, it's difficult to argue against a lineup of shiny new "bling" reels...

I actually have no reels at the moment, should have mentioned that, I sold everything I had years ago; other than my rods. I am going to gather all of my reels, tackle, and equipment before next summer rolls around. I am planning on buying everything new, but if the opportunity presents itself for used equipment or tackle from classifieds or yard sales I will not pass it up.

Thanks for the reply Amadeus!

You don't specify a price range you need to stay within, though the reels that are mentioned gives some indication.

220 [very cool old-school blank!]
Penn Fathom FTH15 [Live Spindle, 25 pounds of drag]

Penn Fathom FTH30 [Live Spindle]

900M
Penn Fathom FTH25N- has the amazing "Live Spindle" feature, which lets it outcast all other reels in this category.

ASG73050
Penn Baja Special 113HN as listed is a good choice

LI761225
Penn Fathom FTH12- assuming you want a conventional and not a baitcaster [tonnage of other choices if you do].

Plenty of room for flexibility depending on exactly how much line you want each reel to hold; probably the biggest recent change is the size of reels due to how much braid you can fit on there under a topshot.
Also plenty of other good choices if your price range can slide up, or needs to slide down, or if you are thinking about a 2-speed on any of the combos.

Thanks for the detailed reply tunanorth!

My general price range is $125-$300, depending on the rod it is being paired with. A 2-spd would be nice, but I don't know if it would be a necessity for my current uses (until I head below the border at least) and found the rod I would use a 2-spd on would be served nicely with the Penn Baja Special.

I have been looking at the Penn Fathoms, all right in my price range; as I have been looking at the comparably priced Daiwa Saltist Black Gold line, but the Penn's seem to have a stronger drag capability. I have a touch of OCD, so I am looking into every reel possibility, and deeply so; I have no brand loyalty, knowing every manufacturer makes quality product(s) when used properly. Those are all great combo selections, and I will take them into deep consideration. Also, I am looking for a baitcaster vs. conventional reel in the Lamiglass inshore rod.

I am going to use a Spectra backing with a top shot of Fluorocarbon leader, so I am not too worried about line capacity.

*The Seeker 220 is my absolute favorite rod. I prefer using a lighter setup; more fun with bigger fish and more sport in my opinion...Caught plenty of yellowtail on it and it just felt better.

Thanks again for the replies, and keep them coming. I am interested in everyone's opinions.

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Tunanorth has some good suggestion!
But I like Daiwas:-)
The Saltists are great choices, I'd put the STT35 on the 9', the STT40LDII 2spd on the yoyo rod that can double for and heavy bait rod and I'd put the Daiwa Lexa on the Lami.

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
This is my first post, so if it were suited to a better section of the forum please let me know. I have not been fishing in almost 13 years (pray for my soul); I used to frequent the half-day, twilight, and overnight boats out of 22nd St. in San Pedro, during my teen years, but left to college in 2005 (Las Vegas); just got back to LA and my poles that were stored at my parents house.

Anyway, the reel game has changed since back then, so I wanted to hear people's opinions about the reels I have re-searched for my current rods and any reels you would recommend for my setup and use.

Any and all input welcome, good and bad...

USES:

1-3 day trips, Local Islands, and local in/offshore fishing; with the occasional trip to San Diego. Mainly fishing for yellowtail and tuna, with the calicos, barracuda, and bottom fish thrown in when the prizes are not in season or not biting.

My Rods:

Seeker 220 20#
Seeker 670 30#
Calstar 900M 30#
All Star 40-50#
Lamiglas 15#

Seeker 220, 8' 6" 15,(20)
I have the BG 30 and love it. I fish 25lb on it no problem
Going to be used for small to medium live bait fly lining. Looking at the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold STTBG30H model, for its casting ability. (I had a Daiwa SL20 on it before, great casting reel, but not enough drag for the 30# yellowtail around kelp.)

Seeker 670, 7' 20,(30),50
I use the BG 40h high speed and love it. It casts great and has plenty of drag. get it. the lever drag reels do not cast as well in my opinion.

Going to be used for medium to large live bait fly lining and occasionally used for light yo-yo jigging. Looking at the larger capacity reels in the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold series, or stepping up to the Daiwa Saltist Lever Drag 1 Speed models.

Calstar 900M, 9' 30-40

I actually use a BG30 for this application. I fish 25lb topshot with 50lb braid backing. I can outcast most guys with this setup. If you want for line capacity go with the BG 40, just keep in mind that the BG 30 and 40 both have 20lbs of drag.

Going to be used for surface jigging and occasionally for medium size live bait fly lining. Kind of stumped on this one. Used to have a Newell 338 on this, good casting but didn't like the way it reeled. Looking for a great casting reel in 30-40 pound line range, primarily 30#.

All Star Graphite Rod (off the rack) 7' 30,(40),50

I think the baja special will work fine for this application.

Going to be used as my large live bait fly lining, heavy yo-yo jigging, and dropper-loop rod. Looking at Penn's Baja Special (New production models). Pretty set on this reel; as I can use it on larger, heavier setups, when I step up my gear for below the border San Diego trips.

Lamiglas Inshore, 7' 6" 12,(15),20

I use a Calcutta 400b, but I would recommend going with a smaller reel like a calcutta 250.

Going to be used for light live bait fly lining, and casting small jigs and soft baits.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Hope this helps