Reel pairing advice...

guss

Jul 8, 2014
Culver City
Name
Gus
Boat Name
None
I picked up this used 6 ft Outer Banks rod rated 30-80 Line on the cheap, in case I get out for tuna before this SoCal season winds down. It has no rollers. I'd like to pair this rod with a used reel (preferably a lefty). This rod seems like it's suited for trolling or jigging, not for casting live bait or jigs. I know Avet, Penn and Shimano are the few with lefty models (if they can be found new) Open to suggestions. See attached photos. Thanks to all in advance.
thumbnail-9.jpg
thumbnail-7.jpg
thumbnail-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat Name
no
Try and find a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 lefty. Fill w/80 spectra and you can switch top shots from 30-80# as needed. Throw in a few sizes of fluoro from 30-80# and you're ready for most every situation. JMO

PS: Used to have Mets weekend tix back in the '80's. I think it was the last time they won the WS?

Reactions: guss
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Try and find a Penn Fathom 40NLD2 lefty. Fill w/80 spectra and you can switch top shots from 30-80# as needed. Throw in a few sizes of fluoro from 30-80# and you're ready for most every situation. JMO

PS: Used to have Mets weekend tix back in the '80's. I think it was the last time they won the WS?

To clarify, the FTH40NLD2 does not come in a "lefty" version.
The FTH30LD2 does come lefty, and is a very good choice when filled with 65-pound braid.

Upvote 0

guss

Jul 8, 2014
Culver City
Name
Gus
Boat Name
None

Top shots can range from 10 yards to 25 yards depending on braid pairing? The Mets last WS win was 1986. I attended Game 2 at Shea.

Upvote 0

Latest posts