reel oiling question?

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by wjw0603, Mar 9, 2010.

1. wjw0603

wjw0603 Newbie

Name:
    Will Withers
    Boat:
    20 ft Skipjack
    My revo seem to need a good oiling, what type of oil due you all use on your reels???
    thanks for your input
    will

2. baybassboy

baybassboy Bass Hippie

Name:
    Mo Williams
    Boat:
    17' HydraSports CC, "Motivator"; Outcast Super FatCat
    reel-x or corrossion-x for a "good oiling"... speed-x for the every other trip drop on the spool bearings... i don't know if there is much of a difference between the two, but i sleep pretty well at night

3. killerjig

killerjig Newbie

Name:
    andy
    Boat:
    16 sir catch alot
    my revo's trippin too.

4. fongster

fongster Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    15 Gregor Bassomatic
    Speed-X on bearings and spool shafts. Grease only on gears.

5. TANGLER

TANGLER Cat Fish

Name:
    Capt. Jimmy Decker
    Boat:
    Everglades
    Revos like any high end gear needs to be taken care of I dont hit my reels with any fresh water. I clean off the reel with a damp cloth to remove any salt on the outside, open up the reel and use any good thin oil, Xtreme reel or speed X works great on the bearings, clean around the inside with a Q tip, dont forget the bearing under the spool adj. cap on the drive side,put the reel back together then spray with something like line & lure conditioner. If that does not stop the problem send me a pm and I will do all I can to help you out.

6. Lil Ceez

Lil Ceez Lord Ceezer The Great

Name:
    Asshole
    Boat:
    The fast one.
    The legend has spoken!

Take some advice from the man above who just posted. You can learn a thing or twelve from this guy! I promise!

Holla

Lil ceez

7. killerjig

killerjig Newbie

Name:
    andy
    Boat:
    16 sir catch alot
    Ten Four

8. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks I found this thread

Capt. Jimmy

I have read that some people use to put some grease on the bearing of the drive shaft to prevent corrosion issues but I'd like to hear your comments.
    I have a calcutta 400TE that needed a total clean & lube job, so I cleaned all the bearings and gears with carb cleaner and then pack this drive shaft bearing with cal's grease and add a drop of reel X, of course greased also drags with cal's too and to finish I just add a drop of reel x to any other bearing.
    my reel is real smooth againg but the free spool is very poor like 6-8 seconds, would you recomend to clean up the drive shaft bearing again and put only oil like extreme reel or reelx?
    or should I just use it like that?
    I plan to use it to tossing some jigs and some big plastics (3-5oz) no really need to reach 300yds. with light lures

thanks in advance

9. TANGLER

TANGLER Cat Fish

Name:
    Capt. Jimmy Decker
    Boat:
    Everglades
    Sorry I dont know much about that reel except that it looks good I would clean the grease from the shaft bearing and lube with the oil. One thing I learned at the Del Mar show from Ken at Kens custom reels is that reel xtreame has a very fine solvent in it and will evaporate after a short period of time. He told me that after you service the reel with reel xtream to apply one drop of a thicker oil to keep things smooth for a longer period of time , with the xtream only you need to oil your bearings just about every trip or two I think they use something like the old yellow rocket fuel,at least thats what the stuff he gave me looks like, still very thin but a little more viscosity and my gear is spinning great .Also try setting your brakes all in, they probably come from the factory with two out this will give you more free spool just ride it with your thumb to control spool speed. Hope this helps please to contact me anytime [email protected]

10. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Actually, I also went to Del mar FHS and talk with some guy at Kens custom reels booth, and he recommend me Cal's grease and an oil that they're using in the shop, its call Black magic reel oil (or something like that), so I think I can try it this oil after a drop of reelX, dont you think?

thanks

11. TANGLER

TANGLER Cat Fish

Name:
    Capt. Jimmy Decker
    Boat:
    Everglades
    Roger. let me know hoe it works for you

12. coryellk

coryellk Fly Navy

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    When Wife makes more $...
    One drop Black Market and one drop Extreme Lube+. If I don't have the Black Market handy, I use ReelX.

13. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    black market oil, you're right, that the name the reel oil I got at Ken's shop
    kevin, do you still have your calcutta 400TE?
    any nice fish with this reel so far?

tnx Jimmy & Kevin I will try that