Reel for Custom BTG690J

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by forefrazier, Sep 18, 2008.

1. forefrazier

forefrazier Captain

Name:
    Steve Frazier
    Boat:
    Cabo 226
    Just picked up my first custom rod for throwing the surface iron (Tady 45, C's etc). I already know about all the Newell recommendations I will get so don't need those. Anyone out there using one of the Saltiga's for throwing surface iron? I would use 30lb or 25lb if needed to use a smaller reel. I have an MXL or JX I can use on it but the JX seems too tall and doesn't balance well on it. I have a semi-educated thumb but would like to have the backup of the spool tension knob from a star drag....Any thoughts?

Thanks.......

2. GUERO

GUERO Mansfield to Alijos......

Name:
    Big Girl, AKA, Miss March
    Boat:
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    throw jigs on 40# or don't throw em bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trini 20 or Saltiga 30T or 40

3. forefrazier

forefrazier Captain

Name:
    Steve Frazier
    Boat:
    Cabo 226
    690J is a bit too light for 40lb in my opinion. It does not have the backbone of a 90J and strapping a 40 size reel on there...it seems huge...

Why 40? Also, why do you say the 30T instead of the standard 30?

4. GUERO

Name:
    Boat:
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    I just like the taller/narrow reels for tossing the Onion, the regular 30 is a killer 30#bait reel

they rate the rod 20-40# so have at it bro, I just don't like throwing them on 30, I like to pull hard, just ask Cuda

5. Yerman

Yerman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    None
    Saltist 30 for your application. Get the torque version. High speed is worthless for jigs in my opinion. If you reel too fast with any reel and an iron, your jig will spin and you wont get bit. Tady 45's require a certain speed, and I hit that speed better with a slower reel. Plus, you will have more torque.

Back with spectra and do a top shot of your favorite 30#. If you want, replace the drags with greased carbontex drags. There is also a bushing under the spool tension knob. Pop her open and replace with a bearing if you want some extra casting distance. Also, I think there are red breaks on the left side of the spool. Take em out and save them for later if you want to put them back in. Clean and re-lube all the spool bearings with reel-x. All this = casting as far or farther than a Newell. At least for me :) . Good luck...

6. GUERO

Name:
    Boat:
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    ah, you SC guys are smart......good point

I apologize when I wasn't specific before,
    def spectra backing 50-65# and a short top shot, shorter than the length of your rod so the knot doesn't have to go through the guides at all. I use the new seaguar premium 45# for the iron now and love it................

7. Yerman

Yerman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    None
    Ya. I have a few reels full of spectra and I make short top shots. However, I prefer long top shots. 100yds or so. It's preference for everyone.

Try filling it all the way with spectra and make short top shots. If you dont' like it, you can always peel off enough spectra to add long top shots. Either way, adding spectra know will save you money in the long run and give you the capacity you need on these smaller reels.

FIGHT ON!!!

8. GUERO

Name:
    Boat:
    Pinnacle Sportfishing
    hey, try and let someone else score some points on Saturday ok?? :rofl:

9. Yerman

Yerman Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    None
    I don't know about that. We like to win by a lot.... :)

10. YANK N CRANK #2

YANK N CRANK #2 Proud Wyoming Resident

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
    Saltiga 30T... Don't put one of the POS shimanos on it..... Don't be afraid to fish 40# on that rod....

11. WreckinBall

WreckinBall The sober one

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Island Tak, Prowler, RRIII, TG80, Royal Star, etc....
    Hells yes!. The Saltiga 30T is money for throwing surface iron. If you're looking at a Saltiga, look at the 30T or the 40. The 30T-40-50 have taller spools, taller gears, and taller drag discs than the 30-20-15. Like Corb said, the 30 is a primo 30# bait reel, but move to the taller models for slingin' the onion.

Get a 30T or 40, use at least 40#, and pull on that 690J like you're trying to break it.

12. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    is there any "real" difference in torque when using saltist 30T and 30TH and having a 20# fish hooked?

Im planning in buying a saltist 30 ( H, or T or TH) for use irons, swimbaits and some heavy spoons ( 3 - 4oz)

what would be the best bang for the buck model on saltist 30?
    (sorry is this sound innocent but I starting using "casting reel" other than bait fishing)

PD: what about an avet sx for this kind of fishing I pretend?

13. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Yo Steve,

The Saltiga in any size is in my mind the best star drag reel ever built. Just picking one up and fondling it is a pleasure and the castablility is fantastic while the drags are off the hook. If you have extra money laying around absolutely get a Saltiga.

However, if like most of us, money is an object of consideration then go to the Saltist as it is a great reel as well. Since you are only fishing 20 and 25 on this thing, purchasing a Saltiga may not be the most bang for the buck rather go with the Saltist.

As far as size goes, I still do not understand why so many folks do not like high speed reels. In truth, with proper technique, your rod recoil or short stroke is doing most all the work and the reel just takes up line. Unless you are talking smaller species like bass or ?? no body points the tip of the rod at the fish and just uses the torque of the reel to muscle that sucker in. For me, either in the Saltiga or Saltist, the 30TH is a fantastic reel and perfect for the job. However, on either reel, place the handle on its longest setting as this will give you more torque should you need it.

The ability to cast all day and retrieve without winding hard is a joy with the high speed. While on a fish a 1/4 turn of the handle gives you a bunch more line on the reel and makes it easier to keep maximum bend in the rod on the wind section of the stroke. When a bigger fish charges the boat the high speed is a joy. I happen to high speed everything including my cow reels but that is just me.

As far as length of top shot. I cast jigs and artificials almost exclusively on all my long range trips of 10 days or less. Throwing Hollow spectra is not for the feignt of heart and unless you can cast perfectly every time the line will wind knot on you very easily. Throwing Solid spectra from a conventional leaves little room for casting mistakes. I have tried every combination there is and now set up my casting rigs with mono top shots. The lengths depend on the type of artificial I am throwing but I have about 10 - 20 Yds extra mono than the furthest cast I can make. I have all my reels with J.B. Hollow spectra and though the 50 was once considered a hollow material it is very very tough to make loops with so the 60# hollow is what I use so I can make knotless connections and splices. I also make up loop to loop connections so there is never a hang up anywhere when the connection goes through my fingers or guides.

For local fishing then use a 40 or 50# solid underneath and make a uni to uni or any connection designed for mono to spectra you can tie consistantly. Because I may change my top shots 3 to 5 times in a day or more I love the advantage of the L to L and premade windons. Additionally since I pretty much only long range ease of use is everything since I could be throwing jigs for 16 hours a day for 10 or more straight days.

Now if you were using a spinner or you are fishing in the kelp then the Solid spectra with a very very short top shot is a great way to go or even tie the spectra directly
    to the jig.

JMHO. Best of luck with your decision

Jamie

14. puroagave

puroagave Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    RP
    for local or within 1-day range, straight 30# mono and a p338. the 40-50# topshots, spectra, trini/saltigas yada yada id use for heavier rods/farther trips.

15. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Jaime, thanks a lot for that explanation, you clarify most of my doubts about 30H T or TH

16. mr.K

mr.K Newbie

Name:
    kyle
    Boat:
    19 gergor
    newell 322 or 338

17. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    One other reel to look at, which is expensive, would be the new line of non backlashing Avets. They are lever style drags instead of star drags but the spin of those reels are fantastic. I have not tried it yet but it may be possible straight tie
    or short top shots to spectra may work great with these reels. They do work very well on mono which I have tried and enjoyed. For me a do not need cast control but for the overwhelming majority of casters it would be a big help. That said, Newels are tought to beat for 20 and 25# work but you eliminated them in your first post.

Jamie