el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Considering Trini 10a, Calcutta or Tranx. Preferences and why? I have a feeling the Tranx will get lots of love. Not that I can't be convinced, but I'm having a hard time hopping on this bait caster craze. Will be used for big swimmies in the weeds, maybe a megabait/ flat fall chucker, and a lil bait perhaps.

Upvote 0

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
Yeah i would say the 400. The Tranx is big. Not sure though ive never seen a Raze 909T. Pretty sure the Tranx is basically the same size as a Trini 20.

My Tranx is a pefect fit on a 809XH. Perfect pairing actually. I would imagine it a little big on a 20-40 rod. Its a huge reel. I only use that set up to throw Iron on 50+ Tuna. Thats my big fish surface iron rig.

A 400 on a Phenix SMX-82H is my go to surface iron set up for yellows etc. Id say 40 pound and under.

A Fathom 25N might be sweet on that Raze. Freespool on those Fathoms is amazing. Cast for miles.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Wait, you still fish, Nate?!? I thought you just shot stuff these days!
In any case, join the bait caster movement. You won't regret it. Tranx might be a little overkill for weed fishing. Lexa might be a better choice...

Upvote 0

Grayson

Oct 31, 2004
Jamul
Name
Jim
Boat
26 Shamrock
Lexa 400 with the Raze 909T and 65 braid was used last year as the go to
Popper set up last summer. It would cast the smallest Halco popper a mile and caught many YF up to 35lbs with power to spare.

lexa 400.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: mikerome98
Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
What's up Nate! I'm in Orange County and have all the mentioned above reels. All 3 reels and capable. If u would like to match them all up and see how they feel I wouldn't mind helping you out bro! Holla at me

my honest opinion on the perfect match with that rod where u can take it on almost any socal salt trip would be a tn14a. It's small enough to be comparable to the tn10a but have enough line to subdue some big yellows! Don't get me wrong. The tn10 will do the do also but if a 40 lb homeguard latches on to your swimbait then you might be in a bit of trouble. Almost seeing your bare spool during a fight will always make your butt clinch up doesn't it? Lmao. Good luck brutha!

Danny
45king
(Jig or caliber!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0