Reel for Axis 7’8” 30-80#?

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I have a Phenix Axis 30-80# rod with a Shimano speedmaster 16 2 on it. I despise the reel and am looking for something better to put on it.

I would like to use this rod for medium sized bluefin until I can buy a 100# setup or something bigger, but I can’t justify buying a whole setup at this time. I was looking at the Makira 15/16 or an Avet 30/2.

Any other recommendations? I also have a TRANX 500HG I’m looking to trade in the near future.

Reactions: kayakbeast33

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Avet LX raptor
    HX raptor,HXJ raptor or Hxw raptor
    Or as mentioned, the penn reels.
    Visx 12 or 16

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Fathom 40NLD2 . Walmart has them for 234 + 11.95 shipping or ebay top rated seller 250 free shipping

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I have the Mak 15T and the Penn Torque 40NLD2 and think either would be great in your situation. If you want to do some bait and some jig fishing I’d give the nod to the Torque. If it’s mainly bait and flat fall fishing I’d do the Mak

Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Not Yet
    I have a Phenix Axis 30-80# rod with a Shimano speedmaster 16 2 on it. I despise the reel and am looking for something better to put on it.

I would like to use this rod for medium sized bluefin until I can buy a 100# setup or something bigger, but I can’t justify buying a whole setup at this time. I was looking at the Makira 15/16 or an Avet 30/2.

Any other recommendations? I also have a TRANX 500HG I’m looking to trade in the near future.

The responses thusfar show lots of love for the Penn line. I'm a fan too, but more importantly, the question that hasn't been asked is "[why do you] ... despise the reel"? That might lead to better recommendations.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    The responses thusfar show lots of love for the Penn line. I'm a fan too, but more importantly, the question that hasn't been asked is "[why do you] ... despise the reel"? That might lead to better recommendations.
    The speedmaster just feels like a crappy reel to me. I understand that it was a 250$ reel (and it’s not a premium reel) but I feel like it shouldn’t be as clunky or feel like garbage. I only fished it on a five day and it’s super loud and not smooth in high gear. Maybe I got a dud but I’m kinda mad I wasted money on it.

I have mixed emotions about penn reels. Growing up that’s all me and my dad used so I’ve seen them fail randomly.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    The speedmaster just feels like a crappy reel to me. I understand that it was a 250$ reel (and it’s not a premium reel) but I feel like it shouldn’t be as clunky or feel like garbage. I only fished it on a five day and it’s super loud and not smooth in high gear. Maybe I got a dud but I’m kinda mad I wasted money on it.

I have mixed emotions about penn reels. Growing up that’s all me and my dad used so I’ve seen them fail randomly.
    Then try the Talica 16

Reactions: lougio
    Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones

Same boat as you are with Penns, remember watching a 40 GLS blow up. It was actually pretty impressive.

The Penns on the market today in the $200 range and up are really solid products. The Fathom two speeds will operate just as well as any $500 reel I should add. They pretty much offer best in class gearing and drags, and are basically bullet proof. That 780XH is very much a 50lb rod to me. Putting a reel like a TAC-16, VISX 16 or even a 12, is all going to be on the large side. So Id look at a reel for fishing 50lb. That’s a reel like a 30LD2 or a 40N. The biggest issue with the 40N is going to be the Cam.. you will fish all of 50lb and 60lb. The cam will get you 22lbs or so at strike before you get a full loss of free spool. Theres still enough free spool for 50lb and 60lb though.

I would like to note that so pretty much only fish Penn reels as of now. Great quality product for the price. Everything you can do on a Talica or Torque line you can do with a Fathom.

Reactions: Tailtaker
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Same boat as you are with Penns, remember watching a 40 GLS blow up. It was actually pretty impressive.

Yup, those 40GLS were definitely not too good.
    However, it should be noted that they were discontinued from the lineup 29 years ago.
    The guy who designed it retired over 20 years ago.

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Came to say what Troy said, this is a 40-50lb rod, reels should be something like a 25N or 30 Fathom/Torque, Talica 10/12, Mak 10/12 maybe a 15, I'm not very well versed on the Mak line, someone else could give a better idea there. Mak 16, and definitely an Avet 30, are way too big for that rod.

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    I have the whole series of Axis rods (including an 8' 60-130lb rail rod)
    I sold the series in 7'2" and went up to 8'2" for primarily bait sticks
    All of them are paired with Talica 2 spds from an 8 to 25.
    That 30-80lb rod I pair with a 10ii for 40lb and a 12ii for 50lb
    I use my 16ii for 60lb on a 40-100lb Axis or a BD Hybrid

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Any of the accurate reels in a 500 size would treat you well.

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    However, it should be noted that they were discontinued from the lineup 29 years ago.
    What inspired that whole area of using graphite frames and spools? Was it from tell companies trying to be as corrosion resistant as possible or to be as light as possible?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    What inspired that whole area of using graphite frames and spools? Was it from tell companies trying to be as corrosion resistant as possible or to be as light as possible?

There was a ton of stuff happening back then. Remember that "superbraid" also made its debut at ICAST in 1992, courtesy of McCoy Line and Izorline [Russ Izor having been the main driver] without a ton of impact, but in 1993, Spiderwire [Safariland] spent a ton of money on advertising, and blew the lid off of it.
    By 1994 there were a dozen different companies offering some version of it at ICAST.
    The ownership and engineering teams of most of the "major" reel companies at that time did not react very quickly to what the new lines could do.
    IIRC, that particular engineer was going for lightness, but it was never intended for that reel [40GLS, or even the updated 45GLS] to be used with superbraid of any kind.
    Apologies to the OP, as we head off on a tangent.

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I have the whole series of Axis rods (including an 8' 60-130lb rail rod)
    I sold the series in 7'2" and went up to 8'2" for primarily bait sticks
    All of them are paired with Talica 2 spds from an 8 to 25.
    That 30-80lb rod I pair with a 10ii for 40lb and a 12ii for 50lb
    I use my 16ii for 60lb on a 40-100lb Axis or a BD Hybrid
    It seems like I am gonna have to get a heavier rod.

I think I bought a popping rod from you last year before Covid got real crazy.

Reactions: Blind Luck
    Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Matt
    I tend to fish my sticks midway in their range...
    Axis rods have a softer tip than my Black Diamonds & Hybrids.
    You bought a Twin Power 10k & Megalodon for your GT trip...(probably canceled)

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    There was a ton of stuff happening back then. Remember that "superbraid" also made its debut at ICAST in 1992, courtesy of McCoy Line and Izorline [Russ Izor having been the main driver] without a ton of impact, but in 1993, Spiderwire [Safariland] spent a ton of money on advertising, and blew the lid off of it.
    By 1994 there were a dozen different companies offering some version of it at ICAST.
    The ownership and engineering teams of most of the "major" reel companies at that time did not react very quickly to what the new lines could do.
    IIRC, that particular engineer was going for lightness, but it was never intended for that reel [40GLS, or even the updated 45GLS] to be used with superbraid of any kind.
    Apologies to the OP, as we head off on a tangent.
    Yeah I think the guy was fishing straight 80lb mono on this particular reel.

Upvote 0