Reel for 3/4 to 1.5 day trips?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by ysr_racer, May 7, 2016.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    I'm new to ocean fishing, and need to start somewhere. I did three day trip on the Excel, and had fun (except for puking like a scene from The Exorcist).

I was looking at the Daiwa Black Gold Saltist as a first reel. What do you guys think?

30 or 40 size for 3/4 to 1.5 day trips?

2. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    20-30 would be my choice for a first reel. Something small that you can cast all day long kinda like the rig you want for fishing the slide

You want 2-3 setups 20 30 40

3. MattM

MattM Pescador

Name:
    Matt M
    Boat:
    TBD
    I'd strongly recommend a Penn Fathom 25N as by far the best bang-for-the buck general purpose reel for somebody looking for a first reel or two. They're versatile with great free spool, will stand up to the size fish you'll catch on those trips, and in the same price ballpark as what you're currently thinking about.

4. svt

svt Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    none
    Whats your buget?

5. OneDay

OneDay Member

Name:
    Ed Hayden
    Boat:
    Pro-line 22 Walk
    I agree with the Penn
    Fathom 25N but would specify the star drag rather than lever drag as first reel. You can set up with 300 yards of 50lb spectra and have a good 100 yard topshot of mono. You could fish mono 20, 30 or 40. Very versatile rig

MattM likes this.
  6. medicidela

medicidela Member

Name:
    Medy
    Boat:
    Party Boats
    In addition to the sizes 30 and 40, the Daiwa BG comes in size 35 too. The 35 is compact, but has enough capacity to hold a good amount of 40 or 50 lb braid. Then you can vary the top shot as needed (20-40 lb). The Daiwa BG would be a good choice as a starting reel because of its price.

If you would be willing to spend more, and are willing to take a chance on a used reel, you can try to find a good used Saltiga 30T star drag, or the smaller 30. These are smoother, more powerful reels, but at a higher cost.

7. tony38

tony38 Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    none yet
    have a look at the new progear reels at charkbait

8. MattM

MattM Pescador

Name:
    Matt M
    Boat:
    TBD
    Yep - didn't specifically state it, but was the star drag version I was thinking about. No need for lever drag for 20-40 lb test for 3/4 to 1-1/2 day trips.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for all the replies. Under $200 if possible.

I know everybody has different rods and reels for every possible situation, but I have to start somewhere.

10. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Really can't go all too wrong with the fathoms, toriums or saltist star drags. Best bang for your buck. I'd look at the 25n, tor16, bG35 size with 250-300 yards of 50-65lb braid, 25-40lb top shot as needed. This will be good for fish up to about 70lbs from calicos to tuna. Jigs or bait. Truly work horses.

11. mcrae

mcrae I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    I don't think one reel will do it all well. Pick a 25/30 or 40/50 pound test outfit. Catching tuna and calico bass can be done on the same outfit.However, it becomes more difficult and less enjoyable.

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks, I know I need a minimum of six rods/reels, but I have to start somewhere.

I own probably 12 to 14 shotguns, but I started with one.

bdubs73 likes this.
  13. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    One reel won't do it all well, but one reel to start should be flexible enough. My 25n and RCLB80m basically goes on every saltwater fishing trip I go on except maybe a surf fishing trip.

14. SouthBayKiller

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    It would be a toss up between a 30-40 rig or a 20-25lb rig. Depending on the year one would be more useful, but the heavier rig could be used with lighter line where as using the lighter setup with heavier line won't get well with the lighter setup.

15. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I notice there is no mention of a ROD here, that may influence this.
    Also, since you realize that you will "collect" gear as you do guns consider this; maybe start out at a "lower than premium" level and build up from there. Diawa Sealine X SHA series reels are a lot of bang for the buck and only cost +/- $125 for the 20-30-40 range. Used Seeker American series rods show up all the time for $50-$75. BD classifieds, Craigslist, swap meets, you can find them. Then consider the beating that gear takes on the type of boats you are talking about. If you are okay with your $200+ reel looking like crap (aka "boat rash") after 2-3 trips then fine, but if it bothers you... I take my SHA's and American's on party boats and my Avets, Tiagra's and Internationals's on private boats... just sayin'...

spize909 likes this.
  16. Fishingangler

Fishingangler Newbie

Name:
    Refugio Garcia
    Boat:
    None
    For your intended use the Shimano Torium 16HG (that's the newer model) would be a great choice. It's a star drag with a light spool that casts great/great free spool that is important for fl lining baits. It also has more drag than you will need. It has a fairly narow spool with plenty of line capacity. The narrow spool gives you more options on how you can use it, i.e., not just fly lining baits but also for throwing surface irons and plastics. Recommend backing it with 50# braid, 250-300 yds (or 65# Shimano Maxcuatro, 20% thinner than most braids) and putting a mono top shot of anything from 15# to 40#s depending on what you are fishing for. Good luck with your fishing!

ROSSOLY and Tackleho619 like this.
  17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I end up with.

18. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Fishin FIN-Attict

Name:
    Mikee
    Boat:
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    You will end up with as many opinions as there are nicknames on any site. Botto line you are starting. . . over the years you may switch up/ change up your arsenal. I am an Avet Guy I would suggest a MXJ or MXL 2 sp. . . but thats me. 65lb powerpro green underneath and a floro topshot you can change out between 20# and 40# depending on whats happening.

Many will agree or disagree with this setup. Like I said Opinions.

I am more concerned with the poltergeist incident. . . what did you take prior to departure? How did you get rid of it. I keep with me always, and it works is a Hylands holistic chew able motion sickness pills and this spray that has really impressed me with working. Last trip I was on a guy puked in the bunk room, was pale and green on deck when I seen him. . . lil of this spray 2 chewables and I had a 2 new best friends. . . .
    Anyways its called DR. Kings homeopathic Nausea and Motion Sickness spray. not cheap but then not puking is priceless. . . just sayin.

Good luck with the purchase

I can send pics of the bottles if interested just PM Me

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Bizzidy likes this.
  19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Member

Name:
    Brad G
    Boat:
    none
    Go ahead guys, ask me which shotgun to buy. I dare you :)

thatsfreakingfishy likes this.
  20. thatsfreakingfishy

thatsfreakingfishy hooked

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    Fresh Tuna
    My first "back to fishing" reel was the bg35 on a Seeker Black steel 8' ,20-40 deckhand style with cork wrap. fished it with 30# top shot. It is probably my favorite of the growing collection of now 5.5 setups a year later. Let us know what you get.

Talica 10II 20# on a Terez 80ML
    MXJ 20# on a 7' Seeker Pinhead 15-30
    Saltist LD35 30# on a Seeker Black steel 8' 20-40 just upgraded it from the BG35
    Fathom 40LD2 40# on a Calstar 700H
    TLD20II 50#mono on a Seeker Classis 6'4" 50-130

Ha how about your iron?:jig:

Tight Lines!

Last edited: May 8, 2016